spin off- favorite books?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What are/have been your LO's favorite books at various ages? What are your favorites?

M loved her big junky nursery rhyme book the longest. We had a gorgeous one from my SIL with beautiful illustrations, which I have never let M touch because it is too nice. But we have let her completely destroy this other big nursery rhyme book with trite illustrations that I never cared much for. Ironic eh

One of my favorite books ever for little kids is by Gyo Fujikawa and is called "Oh what a busy day!" It was a favorite of mine when I was a child as well. M likes it too. It lives at nonny's house, so we see it then. My mom worked in the children's section of a local bookstore for many years and has a VAST collection of kids' books for all ages.

I think we both like anything by Sandra Boynton but I like it a little less when I have to read the same one 100,000,000,000 times. In a row. Lol. We also have a few "songs to read/stories to sing" books that we love, Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night, Baby Beluga, etc. M has just started singing Baby Beluga quite well and it is super cute. "Sing yil song. Sing all pens. YIKE TO HEAR YOUUUU."
ashj_1218 likes this.

October 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A doesn't really have his favourites yet... He seems to react the same whether I read Dr. Seuss, or if Dh reads French Lit.

My favourite books for children include books by Mo Willms!!! Seriously that guy is a simple genius!
ashj_1218 likes this.

October 16th, 2013, 08:20 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^My first experience with Mo Willems was great. I took a job babysitting twins on a business trip for a local family. It was one of the books they brought and they wanted to read it before bed. So we get all ready and are calming down and I read "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus." I could.not stop laughing. Like those crazy almost-sleep deprived laughing. Which gets the girls laughing and goofing off (they were 4 at the time). So we are just giggling and I then had to answer the hotel room door to their parents wanting to know why we are hysterically laughing and they can hear us next door. And then I can barely explain that it was a stupid kids book. It just was one of those moments where it tickled my funny bone so bad I was just losing it. Thank god they knew me well enough to not think I was off my nut. So yeah, we have a Mo Willems collection too. I love "Pigeon wants a hot dog" board book.

Additionally, we love The Very Quiet Cricket, Ferdinand (god knows why my kids love that book). Chicka chicka Boom Boom, any of the llama books (llama, llama red pajama was tonight's choice). We have a bazillion books, my kids actually switch up what they read pretty often. I've never been tortured with repeated readings much. Liam was stuck on "Baby on the way" by dr. Sears for a long time when I was preggo. But I think that was a good thing!
crunchywannabe likes this.
October 16th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was out of the loop on Mo Willem, now I have Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus on the way! it looks hilarious and I love your story Ashlee did he also do Knuffle Bunny? Because we heard that one at library storytime once and I do remember it.

OMG Ashlee I can't BELIEVE you escaped the endless repetition thing!!! I thought that was universal. DH and I have many of M's books completely memorized due to massive repetition... It is so strange how we have like 30 books and yet she really only wants the same 5 over and over and over (and over)... DH reads her 3 stories before bed and for the past week, she only wants the Belly Button Book, 3 times in a row, that's it. And may I just mention that we've been reading this book to her since she was like 6 months old... She always loved it. We got it sort of buried away for several months but she rediscovered it :S

October 17th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes! Knuffle Bunny is another of his books! I love that story ash! I love them because you can just feel his tone while reading!

October 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^Thats really why I was laughing. The little asides from the pigeon in tones you just know are pleading or sarcastic or dry. I love him.

Have you found the "Pete the Cat" books yet? Those are adorable too. We are reading a good deal of him lately.

Truthfully, Liam likes repitition more than Kieran seems to. Kieran almost picks a different book every time we read (which is at naptime, bedtime, and one or two random times during the day). He seems to enjoy his collection. He prefers the chunky books still, but is starting to branch out. He has an odd sense of humor and always laughs if the picture is ironic or points out something obscure. Liam will get stuck on a book for a bit, but usually less than a week. And that means we might read it 3 times a day for a week then move on. So nothing tortuous (unless I hate the book). Julia (nanny child) was a repetitive reader. I remember wanting to hide books from her! Just so she would pick something new!
October 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We like Madeline, Flip Flap Fly, What Makes a Rainbow, Gerald McBoingBoing, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Guess How Much I Love You, and I Love You Through and Through. I'd say those are some of the favorites in this house, though there are olders we also really enjoy. My older kids love to read "Giraffes Can't Dance" to Isabel.
October 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Avery really likes the spot books, dr suess, and Robert munch (50 below zero and The paper bag princess).

I'll need to get some of these books! We have tons but I love books and so does she.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 30th, 2013, 09:23 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I love dr seuss. I also like the "there for you crew" series. My favorite right now is You Can Do It.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search