We are going to the ER again tonight for observation

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2014, 08:35 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Her pedi says if they try to send Isabel home this time without 24 hour observation, that I need to call them so they can talk to the hospital.

Isabel has been sick for the last week and the first ER doctor said asthma. But it's not. She's not responding to her albuterol treatments, the steroids didn't help, and the cough medicine isn't suppressing her cough.

Last night before bed she coughed until her lips turned blue. Then in the middle of the night--I think after a coughing fit, but after what happened, I just honestly can't even remember because I panicked--but Isabel went limp and unresponsive in my arms. I patted her, and bounced her, no response. I jumped up and started yelling for my husband to call 9-1-1, and he's freaking out and I'm freaking out and trying to get her to respond. I honestly had a moment there was I thinking she CAN'T be dead. This can't happen. Something needs to work to bring her back". My husband grabbed her from me so I could go grab the phone and he could start CPR but as soon as I gave her to him she finally "came to". She was smiling afterward and is "fine" now. I'm not so fine.

She had more coughing fits through the night and she is fine now. sometimes she coughs until she throws up. I blame the doctors at the ER for not listening to me the first time. I told them this is NOT asthma and they didn't even hear her cough, they just listened to her lungs and said "asthma" and no matter what I said they just said "asthma can cause that too". I do believe doctors are capable of saving lives and appreciate their role for that, however, I hate how they often SUCK at diagnosing and so are incapable of doing what they are capable of many times.

Anyway, her coughing is worse at night and the ER needs to see her when she's having those fits, so we are taking her in tonight, maybe around 4 or so, so that they can see how she is during the day for a few hours compared to how she gets at night. I fear if I bring her in too early, they will send her home. And if I bring her in when the coughing starts, they will just send her home when she is "better" in the morning. They need to see that she can be fine during the day and then AWFUL at night so when she is fine the next morning they will know she can still have a huge coughing attack at night.

I am taking her to a different hospital, too. Wish us luck.
January 4th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran
Oh Wow. Hugs. I missed to part where you said what is happening. Is it some virus or something?

Yeah I am a big fan of second and third opinions and then I get on the internet and do my own research and have to be ok with the diagnosis.

Keep us posted. Take care
January 4th, 2014, 11:34 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Good Luck!

Leslie

January 4th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Oh my goodness that is so scary!!! I hope they keep her for observation and figure out what's going on.

January 4th, 2014, 11:56 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Oh how scary! I hope you were well cared for when you went in...keep us posted. Praying for your little sweetie!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 4th, 2014, 04:48 PM
More of the same. They were no help

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
January 4th, 2014, 05:58 PM
She was unresponsive! ! How can they act like that's okay? !

January 4th, 2014, 07:53 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
That is terrifying I'm so glad she's "okay" but I hope you get some real answers.

A big thank you to Jaidynsmum for another gorgeous siggy!!
January 4th, 2014, 09:14 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am so angry for you. These people need to realize that they could be missing something important! I hope you can get some answers soon. I can't imagine how terrifying that must be for you. Hugs.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
January 5th, 2014, 07:28 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
How frustrating! I hope you find someone to listen to you and get some answers soon!

Melissa & DH

January 5th, 2014, 12:52 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
That's crazy! How is it hard to just observe her overnight especially if her doctor is telling them too
alittlelost likes this.
January 5th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I'm going to talk to her doctor who I HOPE is back in the office on Monday. She's the only doctor we never get complete idiocy from I'm hoping she won't let me down. she never has before.
January 6th, 2014, 07:37 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! I hope you're able to see your regular doctor today. I wish I could say I am surprised, but after dealing with doctors for years with a family member with a congenital condition, I am really never shocked by the way they brush off people's real concerns. It's absolutely terrible. Some hospitals have patient advocates, although I'm not sure how helpful they are. Don't be afraid to be loud and be aggressive in making sure that your daughter gets the care she needs, even if it pisses people off. Sometimes pissing them off is the only thing that works. (But something tells me you may not be afraid to piss people off when necessary ). I really hope you get this figured out today!
alittlelost likes this.
January 6th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks

She goes in at 2 to see her regular doctor. My fingers are crossed she will be as helpful as she usually is.

If I have to go to the ER again, I'm going to be such a pain in the ***. I'm going to print out tons of **** so when they try to tell me inaccurate information (again) I can set them straight.
January 6th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Pediatrician said whooping cough (what we thought, too). Our older two (vaccinated) had gotten it 5 years ago and that's why they didn't catch it. Hers is mild so it was harder to catch, she thinks that why the ER dismissed it, but she could tell right away that is what it was. So now Isabel getting the appropriate care. The good news? this will mean 30 years of immunity for her <3
Keakie and TreeTog like this.
January 6th, 2014, 03:20 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Thank goodness someone is listening and your sweet baby is getting the right care. Hope she is feeling better soon!

Melissa & DH

January 6th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Thank you <3 Unfortunately because she has immature lungs stll from being preemie and a history of apnea, any little sickness is a big deal for her (and WC is not a little sickness, even a milk case like hers). I'm just glad we are the right track now! Took a week, but we got there!
January 7th, 2014, 06:06 AM
So glad you got a diagnosis even one of wc. I had wc last year when I delivered L and I had my vaccination while pregnant. It was weeks upon weeks of this horrible cough 24/7. Luckily L didn't get it. Hope she feels better soon!

January 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Yep, that was our experience. Me, my husband, and my older two were all FULLY vaxxed an up to date against WC when my third was born. We AL got a HORRIBLE case of it. My third, breastfeeding, did not get sick, even though we were sick and cramped in this tiny condo for 3 months! I think he got immunity through my breastmilk. And now that Isabel has it of course no one else is catching it because we are already immune (I'm not sure though if we have 30 year immunity or not since we WERE vaccinated, but I think we might since we still caught the actual WC?). I see why the ER doctors didn't think it was WC because her case is so mild. It scares me to think how severe it would have been if we had messed with her immune system prior to this. She's got a weak enough immune system from being born premature as it is. Still, it's amazing how her case can be so mild by comparison (she barely coughs ever during the day) but yet she is so much worse affected due to her prematurity. I'm just so glad we breastfeed and cosleep. In her case I think those choices have saved her life a few times now.
Keakie likes this.

Last edited by alittlelost; January 7th, 2014 at 06:35 AM.
January 8th, 2014, 10:21 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
How scary!!! I could not imagine! I cannot stand the ER. Even though I have been to them a few times, I just feel like they say the wrong thing to get you out. My MIL went into the ER a few years back from terrible pain her stomach, like unbearable, she was in tears could not move, the whole nine. I kid you not they said it was gas. She went home and layed on the couch until she collapsed. Her appendix had burst and her body went toxic. She was very close to dying. What crap!! But anyways, I hope that she does not get sick anymore. Poor baby.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search