Baby Led Weaning

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Pretty Crispy
  • 1 Post By breathing for two
  • 2 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2014, 02:19 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We were thinking of starting Isabel on solids next month (8ish months/6 months adjusted) because she seems SO interested, but on the other hand thinking of putting it off more. Then I came across this article:

Spoon-Fed Babies At High Risk For Childhood Obesity, Fussy Eating: What Infant Feeding Style Should Parents Use?

It's not so much about eating off a spoon, obviously, as it is about baby being fed (versus eating). I was thinking of trying Isabel on some purees with a spoon she could feed herself or some steamed foods that would be soft and she could pick them up and eat them, or maybe things like avocado sticks.

I know most of my friends think I'm nuts because they all think the AAP and WHO are full of it and that's it's just as healthy to start solids at 3-4 months, but I rather trust the science on this one. (One of those things that there's no benefit in starting early so there's no reason to take the unnecessary risk, in my eyes)

Any thoughts re: baby self feeding with a spoon versus w/finger foods?

Last edited by alittlelost; January 10th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.
January 10th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
I think it has to do with jar feeding purees and force feeding because you can see that there is so much left in the jar and some parents force baby to finish it. I have spoon fed L soup a couple times because as awesome as he is at using a fork there is no way he can successfully bring a full spoon to his mouth and still have soup on it. BUT I don't force feed him. When he's done he's done even if it's 3 bites. At 9 months old L eats barely any solids compared to some others. He might take a couple bites of toast in the morning, a few puffs as a snack, a couple bites of my lunch, a rice cake later, and then 2-3 bites of my dinner. He still nurses 12+ times a day. And this eating just started in the past week. In fact he had his first ever non ebf like poo today.
I don't necessarily think spoon feeding is bad as long as you let your child lead.
The first food L ever had was steamed broccoli. It was perfect for him to hold and suck on. Then we did soft slices like avocado, banana, cantaloupe. He can't stand mushy like foods so we completely stopped for v awhile and just started giving whatever we ate as long as it didn't contain honey and wasn't super salty.
Keakie and alittlelost like this.

Last edited by Pretty Crispy; January 10th, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
January 11th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Crispy View Post
I think it has to do with jar feeding purees and force feeding because you can see that there is so much left in the jar and some parents force baby to finish it.
It's my understanding that the point of BLW/BLS is that they eat the food as their interested in it and it's not intended to actually provide any significant part of their nutrition for several months. So if they eat it, great, and if not, no big deal.

I would also suspect that "spoon feeding" often includes rice cereal (which is linked to obesity and food allergies in and of itself).

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
January 17th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Destiny
My daughter took to spoon feeding really well, her cues for when she wanted more or was all done were very clear and she was interested in eating, I think she's regressed since then, but she's still very healthy and a good size. My oldest son refused to eat most solids until he could do it independently, at around 14 months. Once he could easily navigate food to his mouth he went all out. He's also a healthy size and very energetic.
I guess the whole point is following their lead, giving them good options and letting them make the choices, even at a very young age.
alittlelost likes this.

January 17th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I agree I just never understood people who say they are following their babies lead by giving solid at 3 months. BUT I also understand that at that age, their "lead" is putting everything in their mouth and that is a developmental stage and doesn't mean they are ready for solids. If I had followed Isabel's "lead" 2 months ago I would have let her eat stake off my plate. But I stopped her because I know her tummy is not ready--which is why I agree with what you said--because it's ALSO about us helping them to make good decisions. It's not a good decision for a baby to eat solids before their gut matures, even if they seem like they want to. But once it's healthy to start, we can give them healthy options
breathing for two and Keakie like this.
January 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
If I went by what Evie was interested in putting in her mouth, I'd have to let her drink coffee and eat things like chicken wings, meatballs and quinoa... Also stuffed animals, diaper covers and mommy's hair.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
January 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Destiny
Hair is the big winner around here. He likes to grab a piece and suck on it while he's falling asleep

January 17th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathing for two View Post
Hair is the big winner around here. He likes to grab a piece and suck on it while he's falling asleep
Oh man I thought my child was the only one who did that!

May 6th, 2014, 06:15 AM
It has worked better for us (mom of four) to use food that they can hold onto, like a big chunk, so that the baby is in control and can feed him/herself. It's also nice to give different textures.
June 2nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
We did spoon feeding with our first and baby led weaning with our second and third. We tried a little of both with Isabel. She likes eating quite a bit since we started. she can eat SOME foods self fed, but other foods (like banana) she bites of pieces too big and gags/chokes. Other foods she does okay with (like melon and flourless sweet-potato-banana pancakes). I guess, like they say, every baby is different.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search