Weaning

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MapleGranola

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Not for me, not ever. I plan to let L self wean whether that is in 6 months or 6 years. I was talking to my grandmother today and she was telling me how my cousin's baby, the same age as L, only nurses when she wakes up and goes to bed and how great that is. I get it they parent different but she's only 9 months old! That is nowhere near enough breast milk in my opinion. So my grandma starts saying how I need to introduce a sippy cup blah blah blah. I told her L does take an open cup of water when he eats solids but that he doesn't eat much. I asked her to drop it and she made some comment about how I'm going to be breastfeeding him when he's 7. I said yeah I might be. Clearly that's most likely exaggerating but come on he isn't even a year old yet. I look forward to him being over a year old and still nursing and need to come up with some good responses for critics
alittlelost likes this.

January 23rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
You could mention that even the WHO recommends breastfeeding for at least two years. I would probably just say that and then say something like, "We feel good about our nursing and weaning plans. I'm sure that he won't be nursing when he goes off to college. Thanks for your concern!" You could be a little more assertive if you need to and add an, "It's not something that's up for discussion." or something in between.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
January 23rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
Veteran
Yeah it is funny how having a baby makes everyone a parent expert of YOUR child who you spend 24/7.

I agree that self weaning for babies is the best. I think the recommendation for a 9 month old is like 3 servings of BM or formula a day but it depends. My LO doesn't eat any food and he is 11 months and so were nurse like 15 times a day but when you are nursing that much it is mostly snacking or grazing.

Baby led weaning is better because the amount of nursing you are doing is proportional to how fertile you are. I read somewhere that in order for most women to stay infertile they need to nurse at least twice a night. So many women rush to get help at night with hubby giving babies bottles but then your fertility might come back faster because your body doesn't have the "demands" of a small baby but you really do you are just tricking it so it leads to babies being spaced to closely for the mom's sanity. So let your baby wean when they are ready and your body will naturally space your babies to the neediness or not so neediness of the littlest baby.
January 23rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
We do blw. Normally he takes a couple bites of whatever I'm eating at each meal. He likes food but isn't interested enough to sit and eat a meal yet. That's fine with me. He is healthy, thriving, and gaining weight being 99% breastfed. He nurses at least 10 times during the day and on average another 10 at night. Our pedi looked at me like I was crazy the last time we were there and she asked how many times he nurses and I said on average 20.

Funny thing when L was 6 months old and we started solids, I got my cycle back for 2 months. Then we chilled on the solids and let him lead and I haven't had another one in over 2 months.

January 23rd, 2014, 05:42 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Crispy View Post
He nurses at least 10 times during the day and on average another 10 at night. Our pedi looked at me like I was crazy the last time we were there and she asked how many times he nurses and I said on average 20.
I've had people look at me like that when I give numbers like in the first couple of months! I don't get it. I thought that was within "normal" range for a BF baby.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
January 26th, 2014, 07:06 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
It's frustrating when you don't have the support of family, isn't it! I've totally been there.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 26th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Totally frustrating! Even the ones who say they are supportive aren't fully. Like my mom is all for it but doesn't understand why I would continue past a year old. I'm the only one in my family to ever breastfeed past 6 months. They all have it in their heads that it's worthless past that point. Luckily dh is totally supportive of me breastfeeding L as long as he wants to. My dh's family, except for 1 aunt, are completely disgusted by breastfeeding. Should have seen the look on my FIL when I hand expressed into a cup when L wouldn't nurse. He actually had me throw the cup out after.

Last edited by MapleGranola; January 26th, 2014 at 08:00 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search