Pacifiers....

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Do You/Did You/Will You use pacifiers with your children?
Yes 17 56.67%
No 5 16.67%
Sometimes, but not regularly 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Grace cries and screams in her car seat (for over 45 minutes at a time) so I've started letting her have a pacifier for short amounts of time, just enough to get her calm. Do any of you let your babies have them?
July 19th, 2005, 06:03 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried really hard not to give Ty a binky but I gave in. He had a mild case of GERD when he was smaller and it really seemed to calm him down. He still has it but only uses it at bedtime and in the car. I recently read that the need/want for a pacifer is hereditary (sp?). *shrugs*

July 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Veteran

I gave all my kids a pacifer but not regularly…just when I though they really needed it.
July 20th, 2005, 02:28 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am all about the pacifier! My first got on at around 6 weeks old and she only took it to sleep. She's been my best sleeper- and was exclusively breastfeed until 8 month when she started eating some solids and breastfeeding (ditched the paci. at about 13 months old). My middle child had a pacifier since the NICU and she's also a great sleeper (had a harder time ditching since she has some special needs- just got rid of it 2 months ago), Corbin has NEVER accepted that pacifier and he is NOT a good sleeper at all! I wish he would have taken it, but he wants Mommy 24/7 still and he's 14 months old.

</div>
July 21st, 2005, 05:48 AM
Neoma's Avatar Veteran
I try giving Nora a pacifier every now and then, but she likes to chew on them and they end up popping out of her mouth. She still prefers my pinky to a binky

July 25th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
None of my kids have taken to the pacifier. they will only take it when they are hungry and then they get mad. So I only give them one if there is no way I can feed them right then at that moment.
August 1st, 2005, 10:56 PM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My older 2 children LOVED the paci. However, it was hard to get rid of it. Caitlyn was 15 months old before we took it from her, and we would've done it sooner but we had just moved into a new house and that was a bit devestating for her.

My son Matthew was 21 months when we took his away, and really the only reason I took it was because the dentist told me to. It really soothed him, I know 21 months was a bit old.

Hannah, now only 5 weeks old uses one, but not like my other 2. I dont think she'll be a pacifier baby.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

August 9th, 2005, 07:32 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
ricky took the paci, but it kept coming out of his mouth so he ended up on the thumb. only does it to sleep now...always did.

christian is taking the paci to sleep usually. he has been taking it less since we have been slinging. i think he is just less stressed now.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
August 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
plum's Avatar Veteran
My daughter won't take a pacifier. Sometimes if she is very tired she will suck on it, but prefers to suck on the boob.
September 7th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Veteran
I read an article in a baby magazine about SIDS, and it said that there is amazing evidence showing that pacifier babies are LESS likely to die from SIDS. They haven't really determined why, but the evidence is so strong that they are considering listing NOT using a paci as a risk factor. Pretty amazing. My daughter really didn't like it after the first couple of months, but my son loved it. I will try one with number 3! Especially with this info.

Baby Sister of Lindy and Garrett!
September 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
mom2Silas&amp;Aidan's Avatar Super Mommy
This is sad but my oldest didn't take a pacifier until he was 2! I nursed him until he was 22 months old (by then it was just once and night and in the morning). I had weaned him because I was 4 months pregnant. One day we were getting ready for a nap and he went down stairs for a few minutes and came back up with a "dinky." He always refused them before and just happened to find one in his toy box. He only uses them at bedtime though and I guess it's better than his thumb (which is what I used).
Our youngest won't take one (I tried when he was really little) and I weaned him at 10 months because I was once again pregnant. So far he still doesn't like them. He does like to take his brother's dinky away.
I'll try to use one with this baby too. I don't mind nursing when babies are hungry, I just don't like becoming a human pacifier.
September 19th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used a pacifier with my first. He had it until he was about 15 months. I will do a paci with next baby if they want one. With my sisters boys, one of them never used one and the other one loved them, so we will see what this next one needs.

September 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I recently read that the need/want for a pacifer is hereditary[/b]
This is not true. The need for an artificial piece of rubber and plastic cannot be hereditary. What can be hereditary, though most babies are born with this, is the need to suck. Traditionally the breast is what was used for this before pacifiers were invented.

Quote:
I read an article in a baby magazine about SIDS, and it said that there is amazing evidence showing that pacifier babies are LESS likely to die from SIDS. They haven't really determined why, but the evidence is so strong that they are considering listing NOT using a paci as a risk factor.[/b]
This would tie in with the above. It isn't the pacifier it is the baby getting what it naturally needs and satisfying their need to suck. This is another reason why breastfeeding decreases SIDS rates.

My oldest had one, she was 5days old when my mother decided she needed one. We did not like to use it, only used it for in the car but after a few weeks it became a habit to give it to her more often. We took it away when she was 6months old. She started to suck her thumb instead which was fine with us.

My next dd never had one, we never bought any and refused to accept any. When she needed to suck we gave her our finger. By the time she was 3months old that need to suck was gone.

My next dd never had one. I tried the finger thing with her but she had reflux and was lactose intolerant so it wasn't enough. After 3 months I did buy her soothers, but she would not take them. She got mad and started sucking her fingers instead.lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search