Car trips.....

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you deal?

Grace screams and cries and gets soooo angry on car trips. She'll cry for 45 minutes or more without going to sleep, stopping crying, or soothing herself. Like I said in my other post, I was able to give her a pacifier to help her yesterday, but I'd never done that before.

How do you other AP moms deal with this kind of situation? I keep telling my DH Ross that if we ever tried the CIO method with her, she'd never get it LOL (Not that we would, but man if we did, she'd cry forever!!!)
July 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Veteran
I don't know if this is how your child will be but, my daughter was a very touchy, high maintenance baby. The first two weeks of her life she was fine in the car. After that, forget it! She was horrible. On any car trips she would cry from the moment I sat her in the car until we got to where we were going. She would be fine once I got her out of the car. At 3 months old I got rid of her infant carseat (the kind you take out and carry around) and replaced it with a large carseat for 0 lbs-40 lbs. She still uses that one today at age 3. It seemed to help a bit but she still cried. After turning her to front-facing at 20 lbs she did even better but still fussed. It took her until she was 2 years old to get more calm in the car. It made long trips very hard on us. She would scream, fuss, try to get out of her carseat, etc. But then again, she was the fussy type outside the car too so I'm sure it was just her indepedent personality coming out back then before she could talk to us and communicate better.
July 22nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you tired a toy? We had one that attached to the head rest on the seat of the car. This one is pretty cool, we had one similar to it http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...6&s=imaginarium

There is a remote so that you can make it play music from the front.

What about timing your car trips around her naps? That's what we try to do with Ty if its gonna be a long car ride.

July 25th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I was going to suggest a toy too. I had something that attached to the headrest of the seat and then played a light show on the ceiling. I also had mobiles over their heads. Anything to distract them. I would also sing. It seemed as long as they could hear mommy they would calm down. So I spent most of our road trips singing twinkle twinkle little star I must have looked like a loon! But it worked!
July 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh how I wish she was comforted by my voice or a toy! We have some toys hanging by her and I talk to her and sing constantly but she still gets so angry - I think the problem is that she refuses to sleep in her carseat! lol! So she gets mad that she's stuck there while she's so tired!
I might try a "light show" toy though!
July 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM
smacsmom
You know I am having this problem too. We are funny if you think about it because everytime we wanna go somewhere we plot out a plan for when she breaks ou tin her screaming fits. My 3 yr. old plugs her ears and sings or recently has started trying to talk to her. I talk and sing, we have an array of toys, nothing is working. AND on top of everyting else is this heat and I have no AC, so I get worried about her over heating herself. We have cut back on where we go and try to make it her nap time if possible. This does not hardly ever work. And now her new thing is she is always trying to sit up and gets mad that she is buckled in!!! It's so frustrating.... if you find something that works, we are willing to try anything that we haven't already tried!!! Till then I guess I am just going to hope she grows out of it. We do plan a head for longer rides to have the time to pull over and nurse for comfort. I guess it probably comforts me as much as I am trying to comfort her. I just can't do the CIO thing.
July 25th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Quote:
Originally posted by Radish4ever@Jul 25 2005, 10:00 AM
Oh how I wish she was comforted by my voice or a toy!* We have some toys hanging by her and I talk to her and sing constantly but she still gets so angry - I think the problem is that she refuses to sleep in her carseat! lol!* So she gets mad that she's stuck there while she's so tired!
I might try a "light show" toy though!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
Have you tried bringing the carseat in the house and letting her sit in it? I would try for just a few minutes at first, and then when she starts wailing take her out. Then try leaving her in it a few more minutes next time, and a few more the next, to get her use to it.

Oh, I got the light show at babiesrus. It was in the stroller section with the toys for the strollers and car seats. I paid $20 for it.
July 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Veteran
When DD was in the rear facing car seat I would sit in back with her if DH was driving. If she cried a lot we would pull over and I would nurse her. We put toys and books in the car for her to play with. We also have "baby CD's" that she loves to listen to while we're in the car.
Expecting #2 in October

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search