Just a question...

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2005, 07:29 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand that co-sleeping and BF'ing are bonding things between baby & parents. But how exactly does cloth diapering fit in here?

I may sound dumb, I'm NOT trying to offend or question the reasoning behind it, I am honestly just curious.

What is the difference between changing a cloth diaper and a plastic diaper? And how does it make you more attatched to baby?

Sorry, I know I probably sound like an idiot.

August 1st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From how I understand it (and we have chosen not to cloth diaper, so this is just my observation!) - APing is like "natural parenting". Hence calling someone "crunchy" (referring to granola lol). As a "natural" parent, many times the parents will use hemp products, organic products, etc. Cloth diapers are better for the earth than disposables. Also, they are gentler on baby's skin (when used/washed correctly), and are more into the whole "natural" thing

Anyone have something else to add? That's just how I see it.
August 1st, 2005, 08:24 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, see I thought these things were to bond more to baby. I can see how co-sleeping and BF'ing will make mommy & baby closer, but I just didn't see how C diapering did that.

Thanks! I was just curious. Any more input is welcomed!

August 2nd, 2005, 08:11 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you've got it. I've always considered myself a "Natural Parent" (before I learned that there was a group calling htemselves Attachement Parents- though they are really the same thing). My husband and I have strived to keep everything about how we raise our children, and our home as natural as possible. We us fresh and organic food, try and use natural cleaning products when we can find them; cloth diapering just goes along with that .
I do think it has something to do with bonding, but not in the same way as co-sleeping and breastfeeding. It's something that you do make sure you're family is as healthy as possible- and sometimes using natural/organic products is difficult (like co sleeping and breastfeeding can also be), but you stick through it for the health of your family. Does that makes sense?

</div>
August 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Veteran
I agree that cloth diapering is a part of "natural parenting", but I wouldn't say that it is "Attachment Parenting".
Expecting #2 in October
January 17th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
There are no yucky chemicals in cloth diapers like there are in disposables. I don't want that gel stuff next to my baby. And, besides, I wear cloth underwear rather than paper so it follows my baby would prefer it too. Plus there are some studies that have found disposables to be a possible factor in future male fertility (heats up the testicles too much since disposables don't "breathe" like cloth. And the possibility of asthma problems from the chemicals in disposables. I also find disposables smell pretty nasty whether they are peed in or not.

AP is not a laundry list of things to do. AP has actually evolved much, much further than Dr. Sears spoke of in his books (he coined the term). Most people use natural parenting and attachment parenting interchangeably.

Changing cloth diapers definitely doesn't help you bond with your baby any more than changing a disposable. A dirty diaper is a dirty diaper. But, perhaps the act of washing the diapers may be a bonding experience depending on the mom (for example, an acts of service love language mother may very well feel extremely loving toward her baby while washing the diapers - performing an act of service for the baby).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 17th, 2006, 07:10 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I understand that co-sleeping and BF'ing are bonding things between baby & parents. But how exactly does cloth diapering fit in here?

I may sound dumb, I'm NOT trying to offend or question the reasoning behind it, I am honestly just curious.

What is the difference between changing a cloth diaper and a plastic diaper? And how does it make you more attatched to baby?

Sorry, I know I probably sound like an idiot. [/b]
Dr.William Sears, who coined the term "attachment parenting", has a list of what AP consists of.

askdrsears.com

cloth diapering is not necessarily a part of this, but many AP parents also cloth diaper, use organic foods, use holistic health remedies, etc. AP isn't really a set of rules, but a guideline for having a closer bond with your children.

p.s.I cloth diaper, cause I don't think it's any harder and it's better for the environment.

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
January 18th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I understand how cloth diapers are better for the environment. What I don't understand is how they are better for baby, because I've seen a few posts where people use cloth diapers and their babies are getting rashes, and they are wondering what to do.... I don't know if it was here or somewher else... but obviously kids on both sides of the coin get rashes, right?[/b]
Rashes can be caused by the detergent being used to wash the dipes. I CD part-time. I wish that I had kept up with it full-time when DD was newborn. She suffered from a mild rash in the early months.
Expecting #2 in October

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search