Your extended family.......

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just curious if your extended family (aunts, uncles, parents, cousins, etc) are into APing.

My family thinks I'm nuts, for the most part, for breastfeeding and cosleeping. They also think I'm ridiculous for picking up Grace when she cries instead of making her CIO. *sigh* Ah well!!

What about your fam?
August 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
I have never heard the term attachment parenting until this forum. I didn't really know that's what I did with my son!

I didn't co-sleep with him, because I'm a violent, restless sleeper and I was afraid I would hurt him. But I nursed as long as I could, if he cried, he was picked up immediately, he didn't cry himself to sleep, he didn't get ignored if he was voicing distress, for any reason at all. I carried him in a snuggly until he was too big to fit in one anymore, and to this day (he's 10) his favorite way to go anywhere is on my back! That doesn't work too well anymore, since I'm 5 feet tall and he's about 4 and a half now!

My mom had some very serious reservations about my parenting techniques. She was...well, not to put too fine a point on it, horrified when I told her I was going to nurse, and she gave me unending hell for picking him up as soon as he whimpered. However, when he was born and I was nursing him, she actually said to me that she regretted not doing it with me and my sister after watching me do it with DS. She never got over the "too much attention, you're spoiling" him thing, but I told her that the day someone proved I was spoiling my child by loving him too much, I'd stop.

Go for it ladies...you are this childs parent, and only you know what's right for him or her. No one else has to raise your child or live in your heart, so you follow what's right to you.

August 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pretty much everyone in my family thinks dh and I are nuts, except for my MIL. It's funny, because they are always amazed at how bright, funny, and behaved when we're out. Good thing I didn't listen to them in the begining.

</div>
August 6th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Veteran
Nope, I'm considered the 'hippy' in the family. Oh, well, fine by me!
August 7th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
2 of my older sisters practice AP. Most of my extended family supports AP.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
August 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Oh I have gotten all kinds of advice from my family about crying out and breast feeding, mainly being if you pick them up you will spoil them and you should stop breastfeeding any time I have even the slightest problem with it. They weren't very supportive when we were having problems. My mom actually is the most supportive though and has the least negative things to say, my sisters though, whew! They think I'm nuts too. But I don't get faced with it too much, we live a thousand miles away. So they really don't know what I do unless I tell them and I am very happy with it that way

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search