cloth diapering

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2005, 07:19 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
hiya! i think i am attachment parenting without even knowing it LOL

but anyways, i am REALLY interested in cloth diapering my 6 week old, but there is so much information online (and even with the links in the stickie above) that my head is spinning!

basically i am a complete blank slate. i don't know where to begin or end and i don't know what is needed or what online sites are just trying to push for me to buy unnecessarily. i want to go cheap but quality because i am just starting and the whole point is that i cannot afford to keep buying and buying. i want to just try it out to see if it's really something i can do. of course i can do it, im supermom! lol

so, please help help help. i would like to get this started ASAP! my little guy deserves it!
TIA
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
August 10th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Well he's still little, so you can do one of 3 things. You can buy the small diapers, you can buy the liners and use them as diapers, or you can get the full sized diaper and fold them down. I bought a dozen of the small ones. I have 3 kids though, so I got the use out of them. Lots of sites recommend you use liners as diapers when they're little then there is no waste of money, you just use them as liners when they get bigger. Or just get the regular sized ones and fold them down. For diapers I would recommend chineese prefolds. They're cheap, thick and absorbant. whatever you decide I wouldn't get more than a dozen for now and a couple of covers, get 2 different kinds so you can see which fits best and which you like best. If you get the covers with velcro or snap closings you don't need pins for the diapers. That would be all I would buy for now, that is really all you need. Then if you like it then you can buy some more diapers. Check ebay for liners.
August 10th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Oh one more thing. I use flushies. They are a thin cloth that goes between baby and diaper and then you just flush it and the poop down the toilet. One roll is 7$, and I only used them in the morning with the boys cause thats when they pooped. That one roll has lasted me forever! Its not a must have though and you might not want to get any until you have decided to keep cloth diapering, but it has made the clean up a hundred times easier.
August 10th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This would be my list of recommendations:

1 dozen Chinese Prefolds - regular size- for a small baby you can turn them width- wise instead of length-wise and they will fit fine.

5-6 wraps in small and medium - Proraps are cheap and work really well

2 dozen cloth wipes - you can buy cloth wipes or cheap baby washcloths

a few fleece-lined doublers for nighttime or 2-3 fuzzibunz diapers (awesome for nighttime)

1 diaper pail with a tight-fitting lid

2 waterproof diaper pail liners

1 indoor or outdoor clothesline (if you don't already have one)

For detergent, I use All Free and Clear.

AIO's are nice, but really not necessary, plus they're more expensive and take forever to dry on the line and you can't put them in the dryer.

Hope this helps some.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 11th, 2005, 10:04 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
i read that you don't always need a diaper pail..that a tight fitting swing top trash can works just as well....is that true. also another mommy here said that even just throwing them right into the washer (filled with soaking water) is good enough to throw them in.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
September 4th, 2005, 04:05 AM
This is the lady I get my diapers from, shes super cheap compared to the usual online stores and theyre all in ones so I dont have to worry about much
http://bugnboos.com/store/
Goodluck
Tania
September 4th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Natalies_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a HUGE fan of CDing! I'm also a CD addict. LOL. - At my last forum, I was in a cloth diaper buddy group.

I have been CDing my DD from the very beginning, and to start out with, I would definitely start simple.

I think my first CD stash consisted of 12-24 ubcfs (unbleached cloth prefolds) you want to buy these online, as the store ones are not nearly as absorbent as the others.

5-10 wraps. I really like the Prorap veclro (they've got great leg guessets) and Bummis whisper wraps.

We have found to really love Fuzzi Bunz (FB's) - they're really nice and easy. Ideal for dads (DH LOVES these) babysitters, etc. - We've used microfiber inserts as well as hemp (joey bunz) and they (to me) are equally absorbant. Recently I started stuffing my DD's medium FB's with size small ubcfs and they are doing the job just as well (but way cheaper)

I have a few friends who are WAHM (work at hom mommas) that make their own... and I've used and will fully recommend them to EVERYONE, they're stuff is FABULOUS!

Mere who owns Beepers Creepers http://beeperscreepers.tripod.com/
Her AIO's are soooo nice!! They're cute, trim and super soft. They are REALLY absorbant, and she's sooooo sweet!

I also LOVE Rouser's Trousers for covers, folded prefolds fit really nice in there, and her cloth wipes are fantastic! The soft flannel and sherpa is awesome! http://www.rouserstrousers.com/store/Default.asp

And, I also love Molly at Tree City Diapers www.treecitydiapers.com she's a doll, and she doesn't MAKE her own, but she sells a wide variety of dipes (including the best ubcfs I've used, and also FB's and Swaddlebees) and the best customer service I've seen.

Just tell 'em Jen sent ya!

Let me know if you need any help at all. I'd be glad to help out.

Jen

</div>
September 6th, 2005, 08:08 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too am interested in maybe cloth diapering with this next baby. I have TWO in diapers, and another one on the way! I don't know if DD will be potty trained by the time this baby is born, she'll only be 28 months by then. SO, I am considering it. BUT, there are SO many companies, so many different prices, so many things to choose, like prefolds, with or without covers, etc... So, like pregodego2 I am very confused at what is needed, and has anyone ever started using cloth diapers on their babies like when they were older. could I maybe start using them on my 8 month old son to see if I like them for my next baby due in April? Advice needed! TIA!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

September 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Right now I am using 24 cloth pre-fold diapers, with 7 covers. I use the velcro covers. I use the cotton heavy duty pre-folds. I got the diapers at target. I got the covers on ebay. No need for pins with the diaper covers. In our laundry room sink, I have a bucket of water that I drop the diapers in. When it is laundry time, I wash them in All Free and Clear. No bleach, no fab. softener, no Dreft, no hot water. Cold water, double rinse, check to see if they are still dirty. If they are dirty still, they either go back into the washer or back into the soak bucket until next time. I then remove the covers from the washer, place them on top of the washer to dry, and put the diapers in the dryer on high.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search