Sling help

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I though maybe you ladies could help me out with my sling. I want to start using it to carry Ryan on my hip, but whenever I put him in it, he seems to lean and wiggle his way out of it and I'm supporting most of his weight with my arm. Any advice?

September 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
plum's Avatar Veteran
What kind of a sling do you have? Ring or hotsling...? I know with a hotsling (because I have several of them), to carry your baby on your hip you need to do the shoulder flip to pull baby in closer. Just pull the top layer over your shoulder, that way he won't be leaning back. If you are doing that already, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I have yet to try Clara in the hip carry position. If you have a ring sling I would just tighten it until he feels secure.

Maybe this can help you-- http://www.hotslings.com/pages/hipcarry.php
September 16th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With a Ring Sling make sure you are holding him at the height you want him to end up at while you are pulling on the tail. Make sure the top rail is at or above his armpits. Then if it is still loose on top, grab the top rail and pull it through the rings until it is tight. If it has a padded top rail and you cannot pull it any further, see if you can remove some of the padding so you can pull it tighter. If that does not work you'll need a different ring sling.

With a Pouch(what a hotsling is), put him in the same way as you would a ring sling. With a properly fitting pouch you should be able to do a hip carry without doing a shoulder flip. If it is a little loose, you can do a shoulder flip. If you do a shoulder flip and he is still able to lean back like that then the pouch is too big and you need a smaller one.
September 16th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the suggestions. It is a ring sling - an Over the Shoulder
Baby Holder. I'll mess with it more this weekend to see if there's anything I can do to make it pull tighter.

September 16th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You girls give such great advice!

And great question, Amy! I'm sure I'll have the same question in a few months hehe
September 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OTSBH, it's the padding. You may not be able to get it tight enough so try and take some of the padding out first.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search