Are you a freak show like me?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whenever I wear my baby in the pouch out in public ( which is just about always) people stare at me and look at me like I just walked into the place naked or something. They literally stare and follow me with their eyes. They talk to each other about my sling -some things I've heard are: "hey look at that" or "honey, we should get one of those," or "I told you that was a baby in there!" Every time, at least one person (often several people) will come up and ask me about it. The reactions are always positive and I'm happy to increase people's awareness of babywearing, but geez sometimes I'd like to shop or whatever without feeling like a freak show. Anyone else have this experience?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
October 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Until I got my own sling (and I got it because I saw another mom using one) I was guilty of staring as well. The only carriers I ever saw were the front and back over the shoulder one's, even more babies in strollers. Slings and pouches are unique; not a lot of mom's where them. I don't understand why, they are comfortable and I think baby is more comfy, too. You're probably always going to be stared at and talked to about it. At least you're educating them...now if only we could get such a positive reaction when NIP.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

October 20th, 2005, 01:15 PM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to say that I have looked, I never bought my own, both my kids have always wanted to sit up and see everything. Never lay back and enjoy the ride.How did you get themto lay back and enjoy?
October 20th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really only used the lay-down sling when she was newborn, now that she is a little bigger (4 months) I've been using the pouch where she sits up either facing me or looking out at the world.

My Homeschooling Blog:
October 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am going to have to look into getting one for Carissa. Always wants to be held but hard to do everything while holdind her...
October 21st, 2005, 09:25 AM
mom2Silas&Aidan's Avatar Super Mommy
Where do you find these pouches?! How much do they normally cost? I want one. I have the Bjorn carrier and it's not good for newborns (and I have yet to figure out how it works for breastfeeding).
October 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is there a particular style or brand of sling that you all would recommend? I'll be taking my baby to work at 3 months and think he might really enjoy a sling as opposed to a traditional carrier, but it's not like you can just try one out...kwim? Thanks for the suggestions?

October 26th, 2005, 12:15 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by Motherbird@Oct 19 2005, 04:01 PM
Whenever I wear my baby in the pouch out in public ( which is just about always)* people stare at me and look at me like I just walked into the place naked or something.* They literally stare and follow me with their eyes.* They talk to each other about my sling -some things I've heard are: "hey look at that" or "honey, we should get one of those,"* or "I told you that was a baby in there!"* Every time, at least one person (often several people)* will come up and ask me about it.* The reactions are always positive and I'm happy to increase people's awareness of babywearing, but geez sometimes I'd like to shop or whatever without feeling like a freak show.* Anyone else have this experience?
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Iget a lot of peope(mostly women) who come up and ask me about my sling, but so far I've never encountered anyone negative. I love my sling, I used it with my 1st until she was a toddler and it's much more versatile than a baby carrier. It's all in how you tie it. Right now my 1 month old DD lies in it in a fetal position-instantly asleep as soon as I start walking. When she gets better head control I can sit her up to look out. I found a woman online wo makes them for 50-60 bucks in really cool, Guatamalan fabric. It's called a Maya wrap and she sends a DVD w/it to show you how to use it.

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
October 30th, 2005, 10:49 AM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
I read your post a few days ago when I first got ny sling. Then yesterday we went to the mall and I wore Grace out in public for the first time. When we left I asked dh if noticed everyone staring. He said yeah I don't thnk that we walked past one person that didn't look. It was so much nicer than luging the stroller around. I could gointo any store because we fit without the stroller! Yay! I felt proud to be accessorized with my baby!

November 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I used to stare too, and I knew right away I wanted one. When people stare now, I assume it is because of my cutie pie, with all of the smiles. Although I have heard, We should get one, or Is there a baby in there? Etc. As for a type. I strongly recommend one with two rings. As for trying it out first, I did exactly that, it was fabulous, because I had baby in tow, and the person helped me fit him in and showed me things. We got our at the Lactation Consultants in the hospital. They had a great little shop next to their waiting room with products. I do recommend the Maya wrap, although I don't have one. I have a Rosado Sling. I was in a pinch for time though and I needed one right then, so I could not wait to order one. You COULD go to the lactatation/call and try it out, then if you like what they have, (might be the Rosado), then say thanks, I will think about it, and get the Maya wrap/w/video online.

Oh, I am betting all the ladies with strollers are usually jealous!

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
November 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had to laugh because I got that too. I only use it now if Remy is tired and we are out and about. I gave out maya wraps site so many times LOL! I loved my wrap and never used a stroller with Remy my second son. No other way in my opinion. And Remy never laid back...he always sat up or rode my back or side. He was very up and aware of his world from the saftey of his sling.

January 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Offlikeapromdress
Im guilty. I actually stopped a woman in the mall to ask her questions about it when I was pregnant with my second child. She was very nice and explained everything very well. I bought two slings the next week. I have to say I used them more when Sophia was a little baby. Now that she is 7 mos old I tend to use my double stoller with my 3 yr old more.

3 angels, and a baby due December 08!
January 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Natalies_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were out tonight in our Baby Bjorn - at the YMCA - and seriously people looked at me like I had three heads!! What would they have done, had I had her in our sling?! I get the same things too... I think it's just cause we're "cooler" than they are! Just Kidding! LOL! I think it's something that's not quite 'heard of' yet - hopefully more mommas will come to it soon, and be rid of the cloddy strollers!

</div>
January 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Veteran
I get stared at alot in the first place. I am a white woman with a dark child and a husband with a disability and 2 chinese step sons. We are like a traveling side show if you pay attention to the stares. But I do get alot of questions about my wraps. I am sure I have gotten alot of business for the maya wrap people. But I have a premaxx baby bag I like to use for traveling and that freaks people out cause they think I am holding a messenger bag then a foot or a hand pops out

Carrie

January 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Exactly. My husband always said people thought my Nojo was just a funny looking purse.
With my Maya Pouch, most people talk about how snuggly she looks all wrapped up in her little cocoon. For those of you who asked, just do a search for Maya Pouch if youre interested in a pouch. I love it and it's much easier than the Maya Wrap I would think since there is no tying. You just slip it over your shoulder and pop baby into the pouch and go. And it's adjustable which is great because I haven't seen any other adjustable pouches. She's 7 months old now and still being carried in the pouch and she still loves it. I'm not sure as she gets bigger though, I think we may need something new in a few months.

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Veteran
I carried my daughter in a Baby Bjorn until she was 7 months old and I got the stares as well. I think most people wondered why she wasn't in the usual carseat or baby stroller. She just preferred to have me holding her against my body or else she would scream bloody murder and I had errands to run! It was very nice to have. I didn't have anything like that with my son 10 years ago.
January 23rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Veteran
I'm surprised that people even noticed it. I think that more people around here wear their babies then put them in strollers, especially infants. It's so much easier to have both hands free. I used my Maya wrap or my Baby Bjorn until Kyle got too heavy for me. BTW I live just outside of Washington, DC.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 29th, 2006, 09:02 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
Quote:
Exactly. My husband always said people thought my Nojo was just a funny looking purse.
With my Maya Pouch, most people talk about how snuggly she looks all wrapped up in her little cocoon. For those of you who asked, just do a search for Maya Pouch if youre interested in a pouch. I love it and it's much easier than the Maya Wrap I would think since there is no tying. You just slip it over your shoulder and pop baby into the pouch and go. And it's adjustable which is great because I haven't seen any other adjustable pouches. She's 7 months old now and still being carried in the pouch and she still loves it. I'm not sure as she gets bigger though, I think we may need something new in a few months.[/b]
i am looking to buy a wrap or pouch and i personally liked the maya pouch on the website better...i think im def going to get that one...

on the site it said that you can pouch wear til baby is 35lbs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search