Very disturbing (Black Friday sale tragedy)

Forum: In the News

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To In the News LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081128/ap_on_...fl5hznHU_Ks0NUE

Teresa told me about this story. It was posted on another board. Having been a former Kmart manager myself this really pissed me off. When I worked at Kmart I distinctly remember getting knocked to the ground when I was 8 and 1/2 months pregnant with Jeremy during one of these sales so I can only imagine. People that shop at these sales are rude, aggressive, and crazy. (I am sure not everyone that shops at these sales are but I experienced the nasty side of Christmas and because of this I refuse to shop at any of these sales.)

This is the part of the story that really pisses me off and I am sure it is an accurate account of what happened.

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling 'I've been on line since yesterday morning,'" she said. "They kept shopping."

What the heck is wrong with people that they care more about getting a plasma tv than they do about a human life!

I am praying for this guy's family and I hope someone is held accountable for this!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
November 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Super Mommy
This makes me so, so disappointed in people. Not only in the people at this sale, who were acting like complete animals, but at the companies and the media for encouraging people to act this way year after year.

It's not funny, it's not cute, it's dangerous and it needs to stop. They need to take the time to make these sales safer for everyone there.

</div>
November 29th, 2008, 06:36 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
This makes me so, so disappointed in people. Not only in the people at this sale, who were acting like complete animals, but at the companies and the media for encouraging people to act this way year after year.

It's not funny, it's not cute, it's dangerous and it needs to stop. They need to take the time to make these sales safer for everyone there.[/b]
I totally agree. I also think that this was not just the crowd's bad behavior but a problem with the way that Walmart ran this sale. After watching several stories about this and seeing pictures of this crowd I am just even more mad. I have worked these sales and there are appropriate ways to control the crowd. For starters they should have had everyone in a single file line and not some mob crowd waiting to stampede. That would have been one simple thing they could have done to prevent this and that most retailers do. The other thing that we did where I worked was we handed out tickets (you know like the raffle tickets with numbers on them) to everyone in line. We did this for the jewelry department sales but it would work just as well for electronics. Then everyone had to wait for their number to be called to be waited on. I think these measures would have helped and maybe prevented this from happening. As far as I am concerned Walmart should be held accountable for this and should be expected to have a protocol for handling the crowds from here on out. If it means they hire extra security for the sale then so be it. People should not have to worry about being killed just for wanting a bargain. This should not have happened. I can't seem to get it off of my mind.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
November 29th, 2008, 11:16 AM
ErikaLovesTravel
I heard about this yesterday- I agree, simply awful I haven't actually shopped on Black Friday since my daughter was born (2 1/2 years ago) because of the crowds.. it gets so scary now, people go crazy to save some pennies.

I was very surprised the store closed and re-opened pretty soon after.. and I can't BELIEVE everyone continued to shop there after rushing through the doors.. what are these people thinking?! First of all, I wouldn't been part of that crowd.. but if I HAD been and saw what happened.. someone DIED and NO ONE seemed to care. It amazes me. I would have felt guilty for the rest of my LIFE if I witnessed that and just kept running through the store like a crazy woman.

I feel absolutely horrible for this man, who was trampled to death right before the holidays.. he was working.. he was a temporary employee.. it makes me sick to my stomach. His poor family

It seriously makes me think about this world...
November 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
soo sad
December 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
Insane. T & P's for that person's friends and family.

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
luvmyladybugs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It upset me to hear this story. I usually avoid going to Walmart on most days b/c of the crowds. I didn't go there on BF either and I can't imagine what it would've been like if I had gone. I only hope this young mans family finds justice for this horrible thing that was done to him. He didn't deserve this! While I do think it's sickening that people in general would act like this, I also think Walmart should have had a lot more security there and maybe other steps could've been taken to prevent this type of chaos since it's well known that people act crazy on BF at Walmart and anyone can get seriously hurt as we've seen here now.

December 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
people are very greedy
December 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I agree, they are greedy and don't think about their actions. I also boycott black Friday....I don't even go to the grocery store if I can help it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search