Would you notice a baby left in a car?

Forum: In the News

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To In the News LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/story...2999&page=1

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Veteran
I've heard too many stories (except with real babies obviously) of babies dying in this manner. If I were see a child unattended in a car I would definitely call 911, no questions asked. Even if you're only leaving your child for 10 minutes, that's just long enough for the car to heat up and cause massive damage or even death.

x1
February 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Boochimomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Boochimomma Send a message via Yahoo to Boochimomma
I always look in cars I wouldn't hesitate to call 911 if I saw a child in a car unattended.

~*Thank you *Sharon*
for my awesomely awesome siggy!!*~

February 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
CupcakeJamie's Avatar Got Cupcake?
I always look too and we called the cops on our neighbors earlier this year for leaving their baby in the car - I just don't know what people think sometimes
February 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Super Mommy
I would call the cops ASAP!!

Wyatt April 25, 2009 - 8lbs 14oz - 23 1/4 inches

February 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would call the police ASAP.
February 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Depending on the temperature, I'd either call the police or I'd break a window. You really don't know if the parent forgot the child or just ran in really quick and in Texas.....it can get very HOT in a car.

Some of you may know that I was in law enforcement for 9 years due to some of my posts and I've only seen 1 situation in that time where a child has died because of the heat. It was a family of 11......and the parents were so use to the older siblings taking care of the baby that they parked the van in the driveway and everyone got out and no one took the child out. The parents never thought anything about it until about 4 hours later when they wanted to make sure the baby's diaper got changed and they couldn't find the child and realized what had happened.

</div>
February 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm just kind of lurking, but I thought I'd chime in.
Yes, I would and have. I was with 2 friends of mine, and we stopped at the grocery store on base to get some things. We pulled up next to a van and we all thought we saw a child in a carseat in there. We were only in the store for about 10-15 minutes and when we came out, I did a double take and realized there really was a child in the van. I stopped my friend, we peered in the windows and realized the car was running. We were still angry, it was May in NC and car running or not, you shouldn't leave a very small child in a car alone. Someone approached us as we were standing there to let us know they had already called the MPs and they were on thier way. Several other people had noticed the child and we all thought the same thing.
The mother ended up coming up as we were sitting there and it got ugly. She denied that he was alone, claimed that one of her older children had been in there the whole time and just as the police and firetruck pulled up, she got in the van and took off. It still makes me angry and sad to think about it. We had no way to know if the air was still running or if the child was okay. Why would someone even risk it?

Expecting baby #4!

February 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The mother ended up coming up as we were sitting there and it got ugly. She denied that he was alone, claimed that one of her older children had been in there the whole time and just as the police and firetruck pulled up, she got in the van and took off. It still makes me angry and sad to think about it. We had no way to know if the air was still running or if the child was okay. Why would someone even risk it?[/b]
Did anyone see this "other child" or was it an imaginary one?

Someone could easily steal that vehicle with it running and not notice the child or harm the child. That is an easy target.

I once left my vehicle running (with no kids in it) and went inside a convenience store for a drink. I came out to find 2 males peering into my vehicle and whispering to each other. I really think they were getting ready to jump in and take it for a joyride had I not come out and walked over to them. After that, I never did it again.

</div>
February 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
When we lived in MN my DH ran into the video store and my oldest DD and I were in the truck. I was pregnant and sick so I was kind of hunched over in the seat and she was buckled in her car seat. The truck was running and the heat was on because it was the middle of winter. About 10 minutes later my DH came running out of the store and knocked on the door. I unlocked it and he was freaked out. He told me that some guy had ran in the store screaming that there was a toddler locked in a blue truck and to call the police. My DH thought that something had happened to me. So he ran out. The guy was with him. I thanked him for being concerned that she was in the truck by herself and that I was pregnant and not feeling well so I was keeping my head between my knees. I guess I just looked like a coat on the seat.
I have called the police when I see children in the car with no adult. As much of a PITA it is to bring my children into the store when I have to get one thing or prepay for gas I still do it. EVERY time.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
February 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
JenLee's Avatar Veteran
Hey, just lurking and this topic really caught my attention. As a mother myself, I have never left my child unattended in my car. I could not imagine, I would be so afraid that something would happen to him. If I saw a baby in the car, I would call 911, and would not be beneath knocking out a window. I used to be a manager at a retail store in the mall, and one day we had a customer come in and say that there was a baby and toddler in a car, the car was not running and the windows were cracked. She had already contacted the police, but wanted us to page over the stoe intercom to find the mother. We paged several times with no luck...the police arrived and I went out with them. They ended up breaking into the vehicle and getting both children out...luckily they were okay, although I dont know how as it was during the summer. The mother finally came walking out after hearing the announcement over the mall intercom. It took all I could not to be violent with her when she actually yelled at the police and became angry that they could have possibly damaged her vehicle. DFCS, was called and a report was filed. I dont mean 20 min. after they left I saw the mom come back in with the baby...where was the toddler? In the car...I called the police right back, to which DFCS came back...I dont know what happened, but I am hoping something.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search