Bottle-Feeding Moms Lack Support

Forum: In the News

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To In the News LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
According to a new report found in the British journal Archives of Disease in Childhood, women who bottle-feed may not be getting enough support or information on bottle-feeding.
Read more
July 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I am very supportive of breastfeeding but definitely think that bottle-feeding moms should be getting support too.
July 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
What are we talking about in support? Support in not being judged for it?

July 17th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
In many areas of the US, it's seen as something obscene to be done in a toilet stall. Personally I fully plan to whip it out when our baby's hungry, and anyone who wants to complain can be ****** unless they're also willing to take their food to the toilet stall to eat too. They won't? Then shut up about my child's right to eat somewhere clean, which a toilet isn't.

And so many workplaces don't actually have a place for nursing mothers to go pump.

Patty, are you talking bottle support in formula or support for using breast milk? There's a lot more support for formula than breast.
This news story was about formula feeding moms and how they may not be being provided with enough support and information on how to formula feed. I tend to agree with this. Even though I am a breastfeeding mom I have seen bottle feeding moms made to feel bad for not breastfeeding. I think they need support too.

I think that breastfeeding moms have issues too, like the ones you mentioned but I would not agree that there is more support for formula than breast. Maybe there are still areas of the country where this is happening but I think this was story was focusing on health professionals and whether or not these moms were getting the info they needed. I think health professionals have a responsibility to give these moms info and support to make sure their babies do well.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also agree with this, bottle mommies are treated differently. My situation was different being a first time mommy to newborns via adoption.

I had to ask one of the NP's from our Ped's office sit down with me and go over formula/brand choices and feeding schedules prior to their arrival; so I had some idea of what to expect/buy when they arrived. I do think that all moms should get the support they need no matter which feeding method they choose to use.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
July 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am absolutely pro-breast feeding and I agree with Aria, I think there's more support for formula feeding than for breastfeeding.

However, if a mom wants to formula feed, I won't judge her. I know how hard it is to get started and how frustrating it is and how some moms are just not comfortable doing it.

As long as that baby is fed, I have no complaints....

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

July 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some people act like formula feeding is the worst thing a mother can do. While I plan in BFing, my siblings and I were all formula feed, and we are all just fine. We weren't sickly kids, we certainly were not behind our classmates in development, etc. If breastfeeding doesn't work for me (milk dries up prematurely, or other issues that can happen) I won't think twice about formula feeding, other than whining about the cost. I can think of faaaaaaaaar worse things than formula feeding. Its not something I would judge someone about.

July 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I agree that bottle feeding moms need *more* support. Honestly, there is plenty of support for bottle feeding. And let me say before going any further that I did formula feed my girls. However, I would have much rather exclusively breastfed, but that wasn't happening, so I had to formula feed. They had plenty of info and formula at the hospital.

I think there needs to be breastfeeding support because it is difficult to do (for some babies)!

I do think there can be negativity toward bottle feeding moms (or even breast feeding moms, in areas of the country), and that needs to be done away with. You just don't know the situation of the person you may be judging. Maybe they are bottle feeding b/c of health issues, adoption, etc. You just don't know so don't judge.

July 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
There's a lot more support for formula than breast.
I think you are sadly wrong. Being an older mom now I can tell you I have seen it both ways and honestly it just sucks that moms are so crappy to each other. With my oldest breastfeeding wasn't the in thing to do so I didn't get a lot of support. Now though I have seen the pendulum swing full circle and seen moms getting severe postpartum depression because the pressure to breastfeed and get it right is so high. If moms in general could lay off the guilt trips on both sides and follow the golden rule you know "do unto others..." it sure as heck would help. I am very probreastfeeding but I have no problems standing behind my bottle feeding sisters and wish women would get off their high horses on both sides of the fence.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
July 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresarunningmommy View Post
I think you are sadly wrong. Being an older mom now I can tell you I have seen it both ways and honestly it just sucks that moms are so crappy to each other. With my oldest breastfeeding wasn't the in thing to do so I didn't get a lot of support. Now though I have seen the pendulum swing full circle and seen moms getting severe postpartum depression because the pressure to breastfeed and get it right is so high. If moms in general could lay off the guilt trips on both sides and follow the golden rule you know "do unto others..." it sure as heck would help. I am very probreastfeeding but I have no problems standing behind my bottle feeding sisters and wish women would get off their high horses on both sides of the fence.
WHAT AN AWESOME POST!!

July 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM
KimberlyD0
I have to agree with this. I'm sure it can depend a little one where you are too, but here there is little to no support for bottlefeeding moms.

I've been on both sides.

With DD#1 I couldn't BF, I go no support and plenty of guilt thrown my way. It was so bad I didn't know what formula to use and for the first month she was on a 6+ month formula and I didn't know. I felt horrible. The pressure and guilt piled on by BF moms and LLL were bad enough that I sunk into a very deep pit of PPD. It was a huge struggle, and something that made being first time mom even harder. I even considered not BF at all the second time because I didn't want to go through the pressure and guilt again.

With DD#2 I stopped due do issues out of my control. Then restarted and had to relactate. I was constantly told how great of a mom I am, or I must really love my daughter to go through all that. Fact is, I am proud I did it, but sometimes when statments are made about those things, its like saying that I must not have loved my first as much as my second. After all I didn't do this for her. I love both my girls equally and I am proud I FF my first because thats what she needed. I am Proud I BF my second because I could.

I am no better a parent though with DD#2 then I was with DD#1 because I BF. I am simply a mother like all other mothers.

Having the issues and challanges I did with DD#1, having to FF her, opened my eyes. I learned that BF is not the be all and end all of being a good parent. I think that women are judged to harshly on both sides and people on either end need to just back off.

I also think that if a mother FF no matter what the reason they need the support just as much as a BF mom. Possibly more because there is more shame and guilt piled onto them.
July 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I breastfed and bottlefed my daugther. I plan to breastfeed this baby for the first year.

As a recent bottlefeeder/breastfeeder, I felt attacked on both sides.

Breastfeeding: When nursing in public, I would get dirty looks for people. I had support from my family, but not cheerleader support. More of an "Okay, if that's what you want." attitude. When I had problems with breastfeeding, formula was given to me immediately by the pediatrician without ever mentioning a lactation consultant or other alternatives.

Bottlefeeding: I felt so ashamed that I was bottlefeeding, I used to make the bottles before we went out so I didn't have to make the bottles in public. When preparing a bottle in public/at a get together, I would go to a private area and prepare the bottle.

It broke my heart to read "Breast is best!" bumper stickers and other breastfeeding propaganda. My daughter was healthy and loved and I tried. I felt like a terrible mother.
July 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
I do think there can be negativity toward bottle feeding moms (or even breast feeding moms, in areas of the country), and that needs to be done away with. You just don't know the situation of the person you may be judging. Maybe they are bottle feeding b/c of health issues, adoption, etc. You just don't know so don't judge.
More than anything I agree with this last statement. I had people inform me that breast was best when I pulled out a bottle to feed my then newborn. BTW.....the bottle had BM in it. My son never learned to latch. I spent HOURS with LCs, both at the hospital where I delivered and at the Pedi's office. Eh and I just couldn't figure it out. The stress of that plus dealing with a VERY traumatic birth (bugger didn't breathe, we were asked if we wanted them to keep fighting or to just hold him while he died) was just terrible. I did, however, pump for four months. He got only breastmilk for the first four months of his life. I am pretty darn proud of that.

So I agree with Heather, we shouldn't judge. Breastfeeding, bottle feeding, formula feeding....whatever. Being a mom is hard enough without other women bringing you down.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
July 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Teresa. I mostly breastfed my son, but we did occasionally supplement with a bottle of formula just for convenience (and my manual pump would take forever)!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

December 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I didn't breast feed. I just never thought of doing it. I hated the fact that EVERYONE pushed it on me. I would loose sleep over it. The only two people that didn't hound me were my grandma's. They apparently didn't breast feed, and that was very normal then.

I would like to have the experience to breast feed with the next child, but I do believe that I made the right decison for ME. And I think people should support that. Mostly NURSES... they were the worst!!!
December 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's true. When DS#1 was born I had planned on BF but things happened and I had to go on heart medication. The LC that came to my room was horrible, we knew I would most likely be on blood pressure meds and not be able to BF(6 days later I was in ICU due to pregnancy related CHF) . No one came into my room and told me how much formula he should be eating or anything, not even how to prepare powdered formula or that you need to throw it out after an hour. I tried to get my 2 day old baby to drink 4 ounces of formula for two hours and cried because he only drank 1 ounce and then threw up.I was suffering from bad depression so comments about FF didn't help matters. When he was diagnosed with Autism some person on another board said it was because I didn't BF.
DS#2 was also bottle fed due to medication I had to take.

DD is BF and FF. I was able to only take a small amount of meds and was able to BF a few times a day at start. I had more support for BF than I ever did for FF. I am still doing both.

I am proud I get to BF but I am not ashamed to be FF or being a FF mom, at least my children had food and didn't get sick or die from my meds.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

March 15th, 2010, 09:03 AM
ANGWife
I agree that there isn't as much info out there. Having to bottle feed, I had no clue about choose correct formulas for my son. Or keeping up with iron levels, nipple sizes/flows/ or even which bottle would be best.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search