Draft Dodgers Memorial in Canada??

Forum: In the News

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To In the News LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
ranidae
The Bremerton Sun

Jon told me about this one, he read it at work. Most of the guys he works with are Vietnam Veterans and they were all outraged.
October 2nd, 2004, 04:45 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found it kinda amusing. I dont really think that was cool of Canada to do. but i guess the truth sucks

October 2nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Two of my uncles served in the Vietnam War. Knowing the horrors they had to witness, it burns me that anyone would honor people that left their fellow countrymen to fight for them. Almost no one who was drafted wanted to fight, but most stood for their country when they were called upon. Then, the horrors they saw and were put through over there. One of my uncles won't even talk about it and still has nightmares to this day. Then, the "reception" they got by their fellow citizens when they returned home....tragic and awful and embarrassing and sad. I just can't fathom it. Sad, sad, sad....

Sorry for the tangent!

October 2nd, 2004, 07:15 PM
alyssasmommy2001
Quote:
Originally posted by mommycolvin@Oct 2 2004, 10:02 PM
Two of my uncles served in the Vietnam War. Knowing the horrors they had to witness, it burns me that anyone would honor people that left their fellow countrymen to fight for them. Almost no one who was drafted wanted to fight, but most stood for their country when they were called upon. Then, the horrors they saw and were put through over there. One of my uncles won't even talk about it and still has nightmares to this day. Then, the "reception" they got by their fellow citizens when they returned home....tragic and awful and embarrassing and sad. I just can't fathom it. Sad, sad, sad....

Sorry for the tangent!
I can see where you are coming from, but you never know someone else's motives for doing something. I don't necessarily think that all ppl who dodged the draft were cowards. If they reinstated the draft, and it included females, I would NOT go if I was drafted, b/c I can't leave my husband here to take care of our children, when he can barely take care of himself with his diabetes. If he lived on his own without me to take care of him, he would die, b/c there have been several times he has passed out from low blood sugar. Plus, I would not go to war if I thought it was for unethical reasons that we were fighting. If we went to war with someone b/c we didn't want them to have certain religious beliefs, I would REFUSE to go. But that doesn't mean that if someone started war with us on our soil that I wouldn't pick up a gun and fight to protect my family, as I am sure most ppl would. Not to say that some weren't just afraid, but I don't think ppl should say they all were, b/c I am sure that isn't the case.

However, I think it is really stupid to set up a memorial for draft dodgers. It is not like they accomplished any special or significant acheivement. I think that memorials should only be set up for those that lost their lives for a cause, or made some significant contribution or sacrifice to society. But, that is the thing about private funding, you can do pretty much whatever you want, and no one has the right to stop you. Although IMO, it is a waste of money, so why this individual feels the need to do this is beyond me.
October 2nd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry if I came across wrong. I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought all draft dodgers were cowards. I realize they all had their own reasons. I just, like you, think it's ridiculous to memorialize them. Like you said, what did they do that deserves memorializing? Sorry again for any misundertanding or if I offended.

October 2nd, 2004, 08:50 PM
alyssasmommy2001
Quote:
Originally posted by mommycolvin@Oct 2 2004, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry if I came across wrong. I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought all draft dodgers were cowards. I realize they all had their own reasons. I just, like you, think it's ridiculous to memorialize them. Like you said, what did they do that deserves memorializing? Sorry again for any misundertanding or if I offended.
LOL. no you didn't offend at all, and you personally didn't come across that way. There are a lot of ppl that think draft dodgers are cowards, but I didn't mean to imply that you were one of them. Just stating how I feel about draft. We got into this with my BIL the other day, and he was talking about how the draft wouldn't be a bad thing to reinstate, and that anyone who ran from the draft was a coward. My hubby told him that if he so strongly supported the war, that he should VOLUNTEER to go over and fight, instead of, if the draft was reinstated, letting someone else who had personal beliefs or problems that made them not want to go to war, and he said he couldn't volunteer b/c of their finances! So basically, he has this cause that he supposedly believes in, but he won't go to war. IMO, someone who supports the war would be more of a coward than the person drafted that didn't believe in it, KWIM?

But once again, like I said, I think it is totally stupid to make a memorial to them. I mean, really!
October 2nd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good, I am glad I didn't offend.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search