Educators target No Child Left Behind

Forum: In the News

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To In the News LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2004, 03:17 AM
sugarcookie's Avatar Super Mommy
story

November 1st, 2004, 04:04 AM
zonapellucida
I think this is the biggest travesty to education. Now teachers have to teach to the slowest learner and those who are A students get completely bored. Further, their entire future lies in taking tests that ask obscur questions so the teachers are not forced to teach simply to pass this exam. GET RID OF IT!!!!!!

Do you honestly think the 10th grader who doesn't pass and is going to be "held back" is going to stay in school?? Doubt it. They are going to drop out and either go nowhere or get a GED.
November 1st, 2004, 07:19 AM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
I have a niece in college right now going for her education degree. She is fuming over the NCLB crap. It is crap. It MIGHT have been ok if the teacher's had actually been trained. I know 2 states have told Bush to kiss their arse wrt NCLB told him to keeph is funding. I'm pretty sure Wisconsin is one of them! I wish IL would. They drive me nuts!
November 1st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by zonapellucida@Nov 1 2004, 07:04 AM
I think this is the biggest travesty to education.* <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I so agree! The whole program is flawed from pre-school through high school. I have a background in secondary education, but I've been doing a lot of reading in early childhood development since I have a little one on the way. It's absurd to require 3, 4, and 5 year olds to be tested when the tests are no indication of intelligence or how well the child will perform in the future. Let the kids play!!

November 3rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is what I feel:

I'm a special education major. What i've read, and been told, and researched. Its alot more paper work, etc. Bright Students arn't neccesary "forced" to be bored in the general education classroom. But those who arn't shouldn't be forced to be labeled as "learning disablied" but they learn slower than other that perhaps have a photographic memory. A friend of mines brother is in 9th grade and has yet to learn to read, and its not because he doesn't want to, its because nobody has tought him. That is partly his parents responsiblity, however, as a teacher I would find that in grades k-2 making sure each student can read is a high prority and to get outside help if needed, with a law having to enforce that. I think the law is good, because it makes 100% sure that students have every oppertunity to excell. Also, if what I read in my text book is correct, (it was published last year), if a student is identified as having difficultes in a subject, or wahtever the case may be, they have other standards that are set realisticly to the individual.
November 3rd, 2004, 10:20 AM
zonapellucida
The problem is that the students are being forced to learn a bunch of "stuff" to vomit out onto a test that determines wether or not they pass to the next grade. So if a child doesn't pass more than once they are going to be say 10 in 3rd grade. If there are students that need extra help, by all means give it to them but that still doesn't mean they are going to pass these exams. An entire school year rides on one exam. Just not right......

edited to say my first Genetics exam I got a 94 on, my second I bombed. ...(as did most of the class) so should we all be kept back? (wouldn't happen in college but still) Kids have bad days. God forbid their bad day falls on testing day.....
November 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got out of the no child left behind because it wwas inacted apx. 11th grade, and majrotiy of my classes didn't have "state" exams. I havn't heard anything about it being soley baised on a test. SPED teachers I know, have to fill out evaulation forms for whether or not the student has meet the required "goals" and is making improvements close to grade level or something to that reguard. I think the intentions are good, but maybe the way of going about it isn't quite excellent.
November 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM
BluesCluesMom
Quote:
Originally posted by Fallen2Love@Nov 3 2004, 05:03 PM
I think the intentions are good, but maybe the way of going about it isn't quite excellent.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I agree with that. Of course we need more accountability in schools...but a huge unfunded mandate that is basically just step one in privatizing education is not the way to do it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search