Child modeling

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2005, 08:15 AM
Melissa_A's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Melissa_A
**I don't post too often on the debate boards so I am sorry if this is a duplicate topic.

How do you feel about babies and children modeling, children who are basically too young to understand what they are even doing where it is ultimately the parents decision?

I have my opinions but I am going to hold off on posting at this point. Just want to see others points of view.

*I'm editing to add another point here, over the summer I received an issue of a baby magazine that had a small baby on the cover, probably about 1 year old, she had more than a small amount of makeup on and she had a bikini on....is it innocence or inappropriate portrayal?
December 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM
lovebug's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mya does child modeling but NO pagents. she takes modeling classes once a week ( durring the school year. summer is for play 100%!!) She only does shows that she is asked to pertisipate in. ( her school has lots of agents and stuff stop by) we don't do auditions. She has done it since infantcy and is still at it at five. I have three simple rules

1. No extreme make up
2. No adult things ( clothes, hair..etc)
3. IF she doesn't want to, we don't do it.

Nadya mom to Mya 7-1-00 GF to Lars <3
December 1st, 2005, 10:28 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Although I have a much better opinion of child modeling than of pagents, it's not something that attracts me for my child. As I said on the pagent thread, I don't want to give my child the message that outside beauty is what's important. Given the option, I would prefer other activities for my child.

And I agree with lovebug on her three rules. One thing that makes me have such a negative opinion about child pagents is how they turn these little girls into 20 year olds and make them assume all this sexy attitudes when they're only 5. This may sound harsh, but I think that's sexualizying little girls. Modeling is different from this, especially if like lovebug, you don't accept make up and adult attitudes.

Sharon
December 12th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Super Mommy
I am anti-pageant modeling as I find it disgusting and exploitative to the max! I think child modeling can be great as long as the child is not forced in anyway to model/continues to enjoy it. It's a great way to save up money for their future. I'd love to get my boy into modeling even if it's just for catalog or something as he's just the most adorable gorgeous little guy ever! We don't live in a great area for modeling agencies though even though I live near San Francisco. The best opprotunities are obviously in LA & NY.
December 15th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I have been asked and approached on a couple of occasions regarding Macey. Sometimes I think it will be interesting because she LOVES having her picture taken and the photographer was shocked at how well she took direction.
I just don't want her to look at it as something I wanted her to do, so for now I have decided to keep the option at arms length and let her choose her extra curricular activities (ie take a liitle dance and gymanastics and then see what she likes....little trial periods so to speak). If she decides on modeling then I will definitely let her pursue it, and if she gets tired of it I will let her leave it. At four years old I know that her interests will probably change more than her underoos and I just want her to find the one that fits her and with no pressure from me or her dad...KWIM?
It is all just the path to her becoming a Neuroscientist

December 31st, 2005, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that it is something that I would push for with my children but if it came up and it was something that they wanted to try I would let them. I would have to follow lovebugs three rules as well though!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search