cloth diapers: the stinky truth

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For those who cloth diaper, what brands do you like, diapering techniques, washing methods?

I always told DH that when we have our baby I want to cloth diaper, but after babysitting a friend's baby, he almost lost it changing a poopy diaper. I admit, I almost did too, and this was a disposable diaper. What are your experiences with cloth diapering?

January 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
For those who cloth diaper, what brands do you like, diapering techniques, washing methods?

I always told DH that when we have our baby I want to cloth diaper, but after babysitting a friend's baby, he almost lost it changing a poopy diaper. I admit, I almost did too, and this was a disposable diaper. What are your experiences with cloth diapering?[/b]
Just so you know, you'll get a whole lot more responses if you post on the CDing board. Located here: http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...?showforum=347

We use a lot of different types of diapers.... prefolds (i.e., "old school style"), all in ones (cloth version of a disposable) and pocket diapers (similar to an all in one, but you stuff it like a pillowcase with absorbent layers). My all time favorite brand is TK Cuddlers. She is also a JM momma and I like supporting WAHMs. I am also a fan of BumGenius OS diapers, which are pocket diapers.

The poop in a disposable diaper is unvariably going to smell 100x's worse than it will in a cloth diaper. Cloth is all natural, no chemicals. The chemicals are what makes poop smell so horrible! We had a washer/dryer problem a few months back, so we had to use disposables until it was resolved, and it was one of the worst experiences. The stink was HORRENDOUS, we had several blow outs (which are very rare with cloth)... it was a mess. I did a happy dance the day we were able to go back to cloth.

As far as washing routine, we use regular Tide or Tide with Dawn. We do a super load on HOT with a cold rinse. After that, we do two more rinses and then dry on either medium or high heat. As far as detergent, we only fill the cap to the first line... too much detergent and you have skin issues with your child, as well as leaking and/or stink issues once the diaper is used. I think that filling to just the first line is a good measure of detergent... enough to get the job done, but not too much to screw with your diapers.

If you have any more questions, you can always post them on the cloth diapering board.... not very many people look over here in the chit chat part of the debates... just FYI.

January 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM
MommyTatt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree you should head over to the cd board. I have had almost no stink issues with cloth. I did however have a huge problem with stinky garbage cans with disposables in it. Or the stink of emptying the diaper genie. Things have changed over the years and cloth is not the hassle it used to be.

Thanks claire1979 for my awsome siggy!
I have learned alot over the years but the best thing I have learned is I love... sloppy baby kisses, messy handed hugs, tooth paste pictures drawn for me on the mirror,that a dandylion bouquet is prettier then roses anyday and most of all I have learned there is no love like that of a child!!

January 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
one of the common "complaints" with cloth diapers is that you can't tell as easily when they poop it's a lot harder to smell.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have super hard - horrible water, which contributes to smell. I use a little vinegar to neutralize it. Works like a charm

I agree with the others though - the CD board here rocks. Enjoy it.

January 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
isolt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to isolt
kelli is right! that is the only problem I have had. My baby even had diarrhea and the cloth diapers held that almost all liquid poop!

when we used sposies a couple of times when I had an issue with my Bg's they stank!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

January 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I forgot about that! There are sometimes when I go to change Christian's diaper (he's 18 months old) and I go, "whoa! You pooped!" I never would have known by smell!

January 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, guys, its nice to hear such great things about the cloth, because my DH was having second thoughts. I will have to check that other forum out. I can't believe how many forums this site has!

January 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I have to add is that I knew almost nothing of breastfeeding before I was pf with my son & it's amazing the stuff I STILL didn't know about until he was born, like the fact that BF makes the poop smell almost like baking bread IMO. My Dh was thrilled with that & never had a problem changing diapers then & the smell gradually increased a bit as he ate more solids, but Dh slowly got used to it..... So - although yes cloth does make poop smell less ITA - BF makes it smell even better (no joke).

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone. There is less stink up in my house with cloth. And i never run out of diapers.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

January 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am going to add that someone else's kids poop may make you gag, but your own kid's poop isn't so bad. It is like your own poop. You don't necessarily like the smell, but it doesn't normally make you gag. Same with farts.
January 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I'm not using but I'm not cleaning poop outta it ew
January 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thanks, guys, its nice to hear such great things about the cloth, because my DH was having second thoughts. I will have to check that other forum out. I can't believe how many forums this site has![/b]
If you budget, or keep tabs on what you spent on diapers... Write down how much a few months worth would have cost you, compared to a year's worth of CDs. If you're using one-size, like BumGenius (which I highly recommend) - you're going to see your savings pretty quick, since you don't have to replace them for larger sizing

February 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, guys, its nice to hear such great things about the cloth, because my DH was having second thoughts. I will have to check that other forum out. I can't believe how many forums this site has![/b]
If you budget, or keep tabs on what you spent on diapers... Write down how much a few months worth would have cost you, compared to a year's worth of CDs. If you're using one-size, like BumGenius (which I highly recommend) - you're going to see your savings pretty quick, since you don't have to replace them for larger sizing
[/b]
I love my OS dipes! Too bad that they don't last forever! They still fit my 2.5 year old but my 18 month old is super chubby so he's growing out of them... but hey, they lasted a year, so that's nice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search