Kids' TV programs

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Which children's television programs are the best?
Dora the Explorer 16 30.19%
Blue's Clues 14 26.42%
Thomas the Tank Engine 5 9.43%
Spongebob Square Pants 6 11.32%
Sesame Streets 18 33.96%
None! We had it better when we were kids. 22 41.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Since most of us spend way more time watching these than we should....which of the children's tv programs out there today are the best, in your opinion? Which have actual educational value? Which are the most enjoyable to watch (for you and/or your children)?

And, the more important question: How do the kids' programs today compare to what WE had access to back when we were kids? (i.e. Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, etc., if, like me, you were a child of the eighties). Do they have it better, or did we?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I voted none.. My kids do not really watch any on those list. I have to say my favroite ones my kids watch is imagination movers and Handy Manny. I actually like watching Handy Manny. The tools crack me up.

I think we had it better. I am a child of the 80's as well. I have tried getting the kids to watch Smurfs and they are not intrested.
October 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
None of those

More like the wiggles, in the night garden (just in norwegian) and a few other norwegian kiddlet shows (Fantorangen etc)

There is a show that goes every day 6-6:30, that is THE most popular thing
it shows all kind of things in them (unless its christmas then they have like a calender/santa show) and they STILL after over 17 years show the same shows and stuff¨with some new things
but there are plenty that has been there since i was a little kid.

Should be more like that everywhere

October 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
foxfire_ga79
SPONGE BOB!!!!
I do miss my cartoons from when I was a kid. Duck Tales, Chip And Dale's Rescue Rangers, Mighty Mouse, Count Duckula. lol
But our whole family just loves Sponge Bob so much. Sometimes after the kids go to bed it takes us 15 minutes or so to realize we haven't changed the channel yet. Haha
October 24th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
spongebob rocks

October 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
We like Wordrworld.
October 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mackenzie likes Handy Manny, or ACTUAL constructions shows

October 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I actually didn't watch a lot of tv as a kid, and still don't now, but I've gotta say that Mr. Rogers is one of my personal heroes. Not just from watching his show, but if you actually read some of his biography you'll find that he was an extraordinarily gentle man who really revolutionized our approach to early childhood education. I think that he had a very genuine understanding of the kinds of things that are of real concern to small children. My kids will definitely watch his show, even if I have to buy the DVD's for them to do it.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anything but Caillou, that kid whiiiiiiiiiiiines and whines. Every parent I know IRL, including my mother (i have a 12yr old sister and 10 yr old brother) have told me not to let my kid watch that show unless I want her to be a whiny brat.

Shes not allowed to watch it at the babysitters, and thankfully the other kids mom feels the same way about Caillou as I do, and she knows moms that say the same thing we don't know the same people at all.

Elmo. Everything is Elmo. My place is like Graceland, Elmo style. I cant wait till she grows out of this stuff.

January 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I enjoy almost everything on PBS. We don't have cable, so it's our only option for kids shows anyways. Kaley absolutely adores Elmo but she also really likes Sid the Science Kid, Wordworld, SuperWhy, Barney, Martha Speaks, Curious George and Clifford. I enjoy all of them except Dinosaur Train and Caillou and I don't let her watch Caillou.

January 12th, 2010, 07:30 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
None of these....we don't watch any of those shows ever.

We are Disney. Elizabeth LOVES Phineas and Ferb, Imagination Movers and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She likes Handy Manny and Jungle Junction too but we don't watch those two as much.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Tofu Bacon
We only have on PBS Kids, since its the only channel ds isn't absolutely terrified of. Works for me, because at least these shows have educational value. The big favorites here are Miffy & Friends, Thomas & Friends, and Franny's Feet
January 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We only allow dd to watch 3 shows. Two are educational, one is absolute gaarbage. The two educational shows are sesame street and sid the science kid. The garbage show is tom and jerry. Thats it. We may rotate shows (because sid is getting a little old, they don't have enough episodes and rarely make new ones) but well keep it to three and try to stick to pbs for the educational shows.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

January 15th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We were a PBS only family until my mom stayed here for a few days and woke up early with the kids and put on Disney. Lucas was hooked on Micky Mouse and Special Agent OSO immediately. They are both pretty cute so I don't mind.

January 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You don't have my favorites as options!!

I love Yo Gabba Gabba, Wonderpets, and Backyardigans (in that order)

YGG is awesome. Great messages, great music! My girls love shows that have lots of music in them. They also like Dora. I don't like Dora, I find her annoying, but the show is ok.

Sesame street is good, but I like the old school ones best. So, obviously we are a Nick Jr. family I do want to see that word show on PBS though. I forget what it is called.

January 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM
RawrDiino's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to RawrDiino Send a message via Yahoo to RawrDiino
Well, I like some of them you ladies mentioned, like Handy Manny, Yo Gabba Gabba, The Imagination Movers, yeah those are okay.

But the shows I love, as well as my DS loves are "The Upside Down Show" which is sooo cute and funny, silly as can be, and I love it (and am often dealing with the super hero fingers on DS as a result), and Zaboomafoo (which we get with my parents cable at their house, when he is there) which is all about animals, and has this cute talking lemur. Yeah, I love those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
I do want to see that word show on PBS though. I forget what it is called.
Word World? Like, the one where everything is made out of words, like the Pig and the Duck and stuff?

Cute show.
мα∂єℓуи 4.8.10
вєвє вєαи є∂∂ 7.30.11
ωιfєу тσ נσни 9.25.10
January 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Mickey Mouse club, Ni Hao Kai Lan, Dora, Diego, Wonderpets, Max & Ruby..
my kids are weird. One week, they may ONLY want to watch Max & Ruby.. the next week, Max & Ruby is yucky and only Ni Hao Kai Lan will do. Some days, they cant agree on which they want to watch, so I pick or they find something else to do .

I think most of what they watch has some sort of lesson to it. Whether it helps them learn colors or helps teach the importance of helping your friends when they need help.

I dont really know which would be my favorite.. I like wonderpets, but I like how much my kids interact with Dora and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.. Im just glad they are both out of the Barney phase!
January 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
DD's two current favorite's (she's almost 4.5) are Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba. I think Spongebob is funny, I think a lot of the stuff goes over her head (but at least keeps me entertained lol), and I don't think she's picked up anything bad from the show. She doesn't watch enough TV to really start mimicking anything she sees. Yo Gabba Gabba is just cool lol

I don't remember what I watched as a kid - I remember hating some duck show though. I was born in '85 so I guess I got more of the early 90's shows than 80's shows.

ETA: DD LOVES the Brainy Babies Russian series. We bought the DVDs for her and she'll watch them nonstop, and she picks up so much of the language from that.
March 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we dont watch alot of tv now that we dont have pay tv so its always dvds here. we love spongebob and also TTTE. i also love disney movies so lots of them are on as well.

the shows i miss greatly from not having pay tv anymore are handy manny(bub dvds are now available so i shall be on the hunt for a few of them for me, i mean monkey that is) imagination movers were great as we would get up sing and dance and the wiggles are ok but really really over them. i keep meaning to take monkey to see them when they are touring but its hard with work. i guess i could always just take him to dreamworld as they got wiggles island there and they arent the same since greg left.
March 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dd watches a lot of nick jr which I don't mind because she does learn a lot from those shows. Her favorites are Dora, Max and Ruby, Yo Gaba Gaba. I like watching YGG as well as Spongebob. I have no idea what dd gets out of SB, but she loves it and knows all the characters.

I think the shows today are better than the ones I watched at the same age (preschool). at least there's a LOT more variety. I only remember watching Sesame street (didn't like Mr. Rogers) and maybe some Disney cartoons...? I guess I watched My Little Ponies and Rainbow Brite at a pretty young age but I don't remember a lot about those.

Totally loved Ducktails around 7-9 though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search