Maternity parking

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
1proudmom2kalli
Being 8.5 months pregnant in the middle of the summer--- I am all for maternity parking! Yeah, walking is good for you, but so is hydration!!!!

Seriously though, sometimes it hurts when you have been walking through the mall or store all day to walk ALL the way back to your car at the very back of the parking lot! Especially when you're this far along! Whew... I would love it if they had maternity parking around here, but they don't!
July 22nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
Veteran
Around here it's not just Target, it's the grocery stores, babies r us ofcourse, and other department stores. I see nothing wrong with it. They have handicapped parking for those that need it, why not have it for pregnant women. It's especially good for those with other children who might be pregnant and exhausted.

Actually, instead of the expecting mom parking I think all places should change the sign to "parents with small children" or something to that effect. I believe dads should get a break too. Our harris teeter stores have the signs that apply to both parents, not just the moms.
July 29th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Veteran
Okay, so I think that is a nice courtsey for stores to have special parking, however, I just dont get it.....I mean....aren't you going to be walking around the store? Whats a few extra steps in the parking lot? I always just park wherever I can find a spot, its simply NOT a big deal to me to be close to the front door of a store, walking is good for everyone and more people need to do it. As far as people who have trouble walking, or are on bedrest, etc, why are you out WALKING around a store, shopping? I think that those folks should consider a wheelchair, or let another person do their shopping for them. Just like when handicap people are out shopping, they are usually in a wheelchair, or one of those motorized bike things.

t
August 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
Here in my city theres maternity parking everywhere. And I LOVE IT! Especially since I have lower nerve damage on my back that only bothers me really bad when Im pregnant (very hard to walk around).

The only thing I hate , is that I wish that they could be inforced - because you have no idea how many times I will go up to a guys face and ask him how far along he is, once he parks his car and gets out.

August 10th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by Mama2Four@Jul 29 2005, 09:22 PM
Okay, so I think that is a nice courtsey for stores to have special parking, however, I just dont get it.....I mean....aren't you going to be walking around the store?* Whats a few extra steps in the parking lot? <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I always thought it had more to do with the fact that it's just showing them common courtesy plus if it's a parent going shopping then they most likely will have atleast one (if not more) child/ren in the car with themand it's stressful enough getting in and out of a car and getting kids in strollers or carts and getting int here to get all your stuff and standing in line, getting the stuff back to the car, etc. It's just a courtesy of the store to think of parents in this way. Sure a parent could just leave the cart at the door and just drive up and get it loaded but I think it's a nice gesture for a store to do this for it's customers. It shows they care and took the time to think of them. Now if they could just get the customer service to be up to par in most stores then I'd be happy.

Happily married mom with a 10 yr old and 4 yr old kidlets
October 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Trynitey's Avatar Veteran
Personally, I dont care if there are parking spots for Expectant Mothers. When I was pregnant, and my DH said "sorry, there are no parking spots up front" I told him that I didn't care.. that i was not disabled and walking isnt going to kill me. But I never got very big, and I never walked like a pregnant person either, so that could be my reason for not needing it or caring for it.

Now, at the moment, reserved parking for Mothers with Infants would be great. Haha! It's really difficult carrying around that carrier with her in it.
October 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
MamaBx3
There are spots reserved for preggo women at all of the malls around here, and at Walmart. LOL
I think it's a good idea.
October 25th, 2005, 12:51 PM
chlodoll
I think its a good idea to. The parking lots at places like Walmart and Ikea are huge! I dont think its the walking into the store thats the problem its walking out after you have boughten stuff. You dont want to have to walk to the back of the lot with your hands full if your by yourself!
October 25th, 2005, 01:10 PM
mrobinson
I think they're a great idea. If you seen a pregnant woman, you'd let her sit at the front of the bus. I think the idea of maternal parking spots are just an evolution on that old idea. I'll bet seniors will have it soon too.
October 28th, 2005, 09:03 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Oct 25 2005, 02:10 PM
I think they're a great idea. If you seen a pregnant woman, you'd let her sit at the front of the bus. I think the idea of maternal parking spots are just an evolution on that old idea. I'll bet seniors will have it soon too.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

There are places around here that I have seen senior citizen parking.
I think both are a good idea. If you need them you can use them...if not then don't use them! Every woman and every pregnancy is different. I know that there are days when I don't feel like I can walk from the living room to the bathroom but then there are days when I could walk miles! It is nice to have the option.

November 8th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
[quote]
I think it's a nice gesture & nice courtesy.. however what about the 3 mos preg women who abuse it*?? Those kind of people ruin it for the 9-monthers who really need it!- Or people who aren't preg & park there.. or those who say they are preg & you just KNOW they aren't!!! It seems like it might cause more problems then it's worth.. but again I still think it's a nice gesture, especially for those of us, pregnant WITH small children!!

ITA!!!

When I wasn't pregnant.. I never paid much attention to those parking spots.. I never used them b/c I like parking as far away as I possibly can from the store-honestly sad as it is true-I could probably admit store walking is the only real exercise I get..

Now when I was pregnant.. That was another story.. I LOVED those parking spots..
The babiesrus near me has them.. but they also have a huge parking lot so theres TONS of up front parking spots and thats hardly ever an issue (I don't think seniors-the majority of people who use/need upfront parking don't visit bru in groves..lol)

When I was 7-8-9 mths prg.. It hurt to talk..and although i know how great walking was for me.. most of the time the walking wasn't the problem.. it was the need to go to the BR after the first 5 steps walking out of the car..kwim? lol

When I was large uncomfortable and had to pee really bad and was shopping at a store that had maternity/parent parking and I had to park all the way in the back of the lot and I'd see these DUDES parking there..lol I'd cuss a lil under my breathe but thats the extent of it..

I think they are a great curtesy to customers-preggos and parents of young kids.. I don't see it too often but it does kinda rub you the wrong way when you see people who are clearly are not fitting the criteria..
I guess thats sorta the same thing when you see people park in handicap parking and they must have someone's card b/c they don't need it.. but honestly-the thought about it either way leaves my mind as quickly as it enters.. I'm sure there are some people who do it that shouldn't.. but I can't tell by just looking at them.. maybe they are picking someone up who has a disability.. so I really don't pay much attention...

Becky
November 8th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Boy-You'd think I was still pregs... I sure did screw up that post..lol
When I was 7-8-9mths pregs it hurt to WALK..and seniors didn't come in DROVES...
Oh well..lol
November 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Veteran
I have been to stores that have "expectant mother" parking and stores that have "parent with child" parking. I prefer the "parent with child" so that someone (man or woman) who has several children can get in and out of the store with more ease. Anyway, most of the time the people who use handicapped parking spaces look more capable of walking a farther distance than I do. I think there are way too many of those.
December 31st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If they have it great if they don't not a big deal!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search