Maternity parking

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM
alyssasmommy2001
there was a big debate on the radio the other day about Target having special parking for pregnant women. Do you think it is needed, or are you against it?

I personally don't care. Parking in the back of the parking lot is one of the ways I get exercise when I am preggy.
August 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
TheGeneralsGal
Quote:
Originally posted by alyssasmommy2001@Aug 20 2004, 02:18 PM
there was a big debate on the radio the other day about Target having special parking for pregnant women. Do you think it is needed, or are you against it?

I personally don't care. Parking in the back of the parking lot is one of the ways I get exercise when I am preggy.
For a typical pregnant women without any disability cause by the pregnancy. No.

Someone who has a complication or who is handicapped if you will then yes.

Depends on the situation.
August 20th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Walking was very dificult for me when I was pregnant, I could barely move I was so big (I was carrying two and I'm very short). I walked with a cain, thats how hard just moving was. Going grocery shopping was a big deal for me and I never went without DH cause by the time I was done I was so tired. I would of loved having those spaces up front. It took me sooooo long to walk to the car, and I would have to stop several times to catch my breath. They didn't have those until after the boys were born at my store. Yes they should be available so that women like me at least have that option. Then if you have a normal pregnancy and choose not to use them thats perfectly fine.
August 20th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Armywife
I am all for it!!!

When I go to the store...if I do not have my kids with me I never take a frount parking spot....I feel like a mother/father needs them more than me!! And when I have my kids I like to park in the frount so that it is easier to walk without my kids scaring the bejeebees out of me!!! But, I certainly would give my spot to an old person if their was a frount one too.
August 20th, 2004, 02:49 PM
zonapellucida
during that last couple weeks I would love a convienent parking space!
August 20th, 2004, 08:15 PM
grneydgurl's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to grneydgurl Send a message via Yahoo to grneydgurl
The Target by us have the maternity parking site is after the handicapped sites. They are just more of an advantage for pregnant women.

There is also a grocery store that was just built here in Manchester, (I cant remember if it is Stop N Shop or Shaw's) but they have family parking spots. Instead of having people walking 10-15 parking spots with two to three kids it tow.

I think it is a great idea.
<div align="center"> Jesci's Myspace </div>
August 20th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Janelle's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Janelle Send a message via Yahoo to Janelle
I have always liked the idea. They had a lot of them in California when we lived there. They are just getting them around here. I think they need to be for familys too. I remember when I was preggo w/Jess I was a duck and thought I was going to go into labor walking to the drs appts.

August 20th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Carol
I think having pregnancy parking spots is a good idea. Think of the middle of the winter...icy pavement....big ole waddling preggo woman. If that were me, I'd rather walk 50 feet to stable pavement than 250 feet, kwim? I worked at a place where they would let the preggos use the handicapped spots. I never took advantage of this though. I feel it's a good option to have for someone if they feel they need it. Everyone handles pregnancy different.

I like the idea of family parking. I find it annoying to be towing my 2 and 3 year olds along, while having to watch out for the morons who don't pay attention to where they are driving.
August 21st, 2004, 03:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Walmart, and most of the grocery stores have them here, but there not only for pregnant women there are also for parents of babies. I think it's a great idea especially when I see a women come out of a vechile 8 months pregnant with two babies in diapers, it makes it easier! I also don't think too many people abuse it, if you don't feel that you need to use one you don't.
August 21st, 2004, 04:36 AM
YankeeMom
I don't think anything of it either way. It's a store courtesy not something that is a law. If a store wants to be courteous to their customers, and it doesn't interfere with the law (and it doesn't, because if you aren't prego and you park there, they don't tow your car) I don't have a problem with it.
August 21st, 2004, 06:25 AM
pooker's Avatar Veteran
I love the idea, but I only used them towards the end of my pregnancy, when I was huge, and tired easily. Sometimes, though, I wish for parent parking - only when I'm dealing with 2 little ones, trying to get them into and out of the stores easily. At the stores, I try to park right next to the cart returns - makes it easy to get the kids in and out, and return the cart - plus they are usually far from the door, so I get a little more walking in!
August 21st, 2004, 08:43 AM
Carol
Quote:
Originally posted by pooker@Aug 21 2004, 10:25 AM
At the stores, I try to park right next to the cart returns - makes it easy to get the kids in and out, and return the cart - plus they are usually far from the door, so I get a little more walking in!
I do this too!!
August 21st, 2004, 02:04 PM
I Heart 4x4
I remember the first time I saw this at a mall here in CA. I went "awwww how sweet!". I think it's a great idea - especially for women who are high risk (i.e. multiple birth, preeclempsia *sp, gestational diabetes, etc.).

From Me!
August 21st, 2004, 02:19 PM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It does not matter to me...........Some Mommies to be might need that!

August 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont think it should be a law but when I was preg I def appreciated it when stores had it. Where I live there is a mall that has maternity/new family parking. So that def helps since you have to get the kid, the stroller etc (you girls know the drill). I love it!

August 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Ma2RayPooh
we have these on base and i LOVED using them when i was pregnant. i was a whale! LOL i used them for like the first 2months rayanne was born too. they are for pregnant women and new mommies. i am all for them, i think they should be more around. but again this is jmo.
September 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM
kikimama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kikimama Send a message via Yahoo to kikimama
ITA with you Jessica!!!
September 1st, 2004, 12:37 PM
Shannoni71073
I just now saw this topic and it made me giggle.

When I lived in Atlanta and was not pregnant, I saw "expecting mothers" parking spaces all of the time. Now that I live in Columbus, OH and am pregnant, I have never seen one of them!!

Do I think they are necessary? Nope, I think all the exercising and walking you can get during a pregnancy is a good thing.

Would I use them if they had them here? ABSOLUTELY!!! Why not take advantage of it and allow me to be a little lazy now and then!!!
September 17th, 2004, 01:34 PM
TheGeneralsGal
Quote:
Originally posted by TwiceBlessed@Sep 17 2004, 03:04 PM
LOL I just noticed this topic too

I didnt even know these parking spots existed! I do think they would come in handy though when I am shopping alone with Gage. Its hard being petite and pregnant and having to get a 35 lb 2.5 year old in the store. However, on the days he isnt with me I probably wouldnt use them.
See I think it easier to be by the cart corral opposed to up front. No dragging a three year old AND a car seat with Ian in it to the cart corral to get one. Then have to walk how far away from the car to return it?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search