Reacting to snippy comments from other moms..

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ not even. Mackenzie has been at the 50th percentile for weight her entire life, every. single. checkup. so absolutely dead centre average. Even she once got the "she's FAT" in the not-nice way

Lacey, I would have LOVED to see you go off on that girl After we left the room there were so many things I wanted to respond with, but at the time I was just so completely shocked that she would be that rude and harassing (she literally followed me when I tried to walk away) that I just wanted to get away. Which really isn't me at all, how is it I can stand up to big burly contractors no problem but the pimply scrawny teenaged girl scared me away?

January 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by amegra View Post
^^ not even. Mackenzie has been at the 50th percentile for weight her entire life, every. single. checkup. so absolutely dead centre average. Even she once got the "she's FAT" in the not-nice way

Lacey, I would have LOVED to see you go off on that girl After we left the room there were so many things I wanted to respond with, but at the time I was just so completely shocked that she would be that rude and harassing (she literally followed me when I tried to walk away) that I just wanted to get away. Which really isn't me at all, how is it I can stand up to big burly contractors no problem but the pimply scrawny teenaged girl scared me away?
Oh i know, tanja was that untill 7-9 months and she got fat then and underweight now
do you remember someone in our PR had a picture of their son playing guitar i think and some stranger was commenting on how he could see the boys ribs?
I can't for the life of me remember who that was...... helppp

January 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM
^^I think that was Aiden (Lisa's ds) and it was completely ridiculous. Yeah, he's a pipsqueak but the comment a coworker made was horrible and uncalled for and completely ruined that picture for her.

January 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Yes sounds about right
I was just thinking about it because it is honestly just so uncalled for and aiden is a pretty healthy boy arh

January 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I can't remember too many comments about my parenting style. Most of my family is pretty progressive and even though I butt heads with my MIL constantly we practiced most of the same parenting tactics (at least in infancy/early childhood) - co-sleeping, BFing, etc.

You wouldn't believe some of the comments we get about her skin though. It's disheartening how preoccupied with the color of someone's skin people are today. I've been making a point to tell Julia that those who have a problem or make an issue about her skin are people who have problems of their own - they're probably insecure or just ignorant, and she shouldn't take it personally; and some people are just curious, just like she's curious about XYZ b/c she doesn't know about it. Luckily she doesn't seem to take it to heart. On a positive note, we met the sweetest woman today while we were at the doctor, they were backed up and her and Julia were just chatting the entire time, you could tell she was the type of person who loved kids, she gave no second look to her skin and didn't even pounce on an opportunity to ask about her skin when Julia was preoccupied with something else. It's people like that that make me feel OK with the human species again.

OH, I remember a comment that I thought was really weird not related to her skin. Julia was maybe 8 months old, but I was holding her upright, on my hip, and DH's teacher (he was in training at the time) commented on how babies under a year old shouldn't be held that way lol I was all like, huh? Do you cradle an 8 month old while you're just standing around chatting, or what?
January 26th, 2010, 06:56 AM
^^does that teacher have kids??? Kenz didn't like to be cradled horizontally as a newborn let alone at 8 months and some kids WALK before they turn a year, I think they can sit upright!

January 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChild View Post
I can't remember too many comments about my parenting style. Most of my family is pretty progressive and even though I butt heads with my MIL constantly we practiced most of the same parenting tactics (at least in infancy/early childhood) - co-sleeping, BFing, etc.

You wouldn't believe some of the comments we get about her skin though. It's disheartening how preoccupied with the color of someone's skin people are today. I've been making a point to tell Julia that those who have a problem or make an issue about her skin are people who have problems of their own - they're probably insecure or just ignorant, and she shouldn't take it personally; and some people are just curious, just like she's curious about XYZ b/c she doesn't know about it. Luckily she doesn't seem to take it to heart. On a positive note, we met the sweetest woman today while we were at the doctor, they were backed up and her and Julia were just chatting the entire time, you could tell she was the type of person who loved kids, she gave no second look to her skin and didn't even pounce on an opportunity to ask about her skin when Julia was preoccupied with something else. It's people like that that make me feel OK with the human species again.

OH, I remember a comment that I thought was really weird not related to her skin. Julia was maybe 8 months old, but I was holding her upright, on my hip, and DH's teacher (he was in training at the time) commented on how babies under a year old shouldn't be held that way lol I was all like, huh? Do you cradle an 8 month old while you're just standing around chatting, or what?
Why her skin? And how else would you hold an 8 month old? The hip is perfect for sitting a baby on it!

January 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I've heard older folks SWEAR that holding a baby under a year old on your hip makes them bow legged.

January 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good, my kids will be ready for a life of rodeos then with their bow-leggedness!!

January 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Perhaps no one has mentioned to them that ALL babies are slightly bowlegged until they have been walking a while That's like the kids shoe store owner that tried to convince me I needed to keep kenz in super expensive rigid shoes because she "had a funny gait" Um... she was 15 months old and had been walking for less than 2 months. What else would you expect??? And btw, your advice is super outdated and self-serving and I'm never buying anything from you.

January 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarheadwed View Post
Why her skin? And how else would you hold an 8 month old? The hip is perfect for sitting a baby on it!
She has a skin disorder, so her face is off and on red/blotchy, it kind of looks like really, really bad eczema.

I have no idea where else you would hold a kid besides your hip! Julia was not being cradled at 8 months old, even as a severe failure-to-thrive baby lol She would just not have it! I hadn't heard the bow-legged rumor, but that makes more sense when I put the conversation in context lol He was old-school, from the Middle East.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search