True Blood vs. Twilight vs. Vampire Diaries

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
True Blood without a doubt.

I haven't read The Vampire Diaries so can't really judge the books...and i never got past the first episode of the show...it made me want to barf, lol.

Not a fan of the Twilight series at all. I love that the series has gotten so many people to read books, but that is the only nice thing I can say about them. (I try to remember the books were written for teenagers, but they still make me cringe). Haven't seen the movies.

I also don't think we can really compare True Blood to the other 2 (well, at least Twilight since I have read them). They are written for completely different audiences, and comparing them really isn't fair. Just as you can't compare them to Interview with the Vampire, it is difficult to compare them to one another.

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
July 2nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Twilight wasn't written for teens. It got marketed towards teens by the publishing house, but was not written in any way for teens

July 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I understand the story of how the author supposedly wrote the book for herself and her sister encouraged her to get it published and if you believe that to be true, then yes, I spoke in error.

It was clearly written from a teenagers perspective, with all of the angst over hormonal drama that goes with it...and that is what I tried to keep in mind as I read them. I know that is why so many of my teen students like to read it, they relate.

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
July 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
And why when the hordes of women aged 20-80 also get obsessed with it. I highly doubt that 14 year old girls figured out a way to rake in 70 million dollars last weekend. I'm guessing the non-working tween crowd is the group responsible for making this company mega millions, headed to billions

July 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hordes of people of various ages are obsessed with the Harry Potter world too...doesn't mean that the author/publishing house didn't initially intend for their audience to be specifically children/tweens/teens.

And though they may be non working...the tween and teen crowd is a Huge money maker. Their parents are footing the bills, but these kids have over 200 billion dollars in purchasing power. Research and Markets: Discover the Hidden Motivators That Capture the Attention of Today's 49... - Forbes.com

Of course the story line has adult fans...but to deny that the story was primarily toappeal to teenagers is ridiculous. So what if adults really enjoy a teen oriented franchise? If you enjoy something, so be it, just don't be in denial about its origins.

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
July 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
Smite.
Having finished all of Season 2, I get that now. I really almost wet my pants laughing at that scene.

And I have to say that the Twilight movies are falling off my radar. I didn't see Twilight in the theater because I hadn't actually even read the books yet. Between the theatrical release and the DVD release I read the series and was excited to get the DVD. I was sort of ... let down? by the Twilight movie, but it is what it is. Then I went to see New Moon at a midnight premiere and it was considerably better than Twilight but have not yet seen Eclipse. I was thinking of going to see it this week and DH and I watched New Moon on DVD to get "in the mood".... it took me 3 nights to get all the way through New Moon and I have absolutely no motivation at all to go see Eclipse now. I think Vampire Eric has completely ruined me for Twilight now.

August 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this thread is a month or so old, but.....

I love Twilight and Vampire Diaries!! I watched the very first episode of True Blood and just couldn't get into it, but after reading this, I'm about to pop some popcorn and watch it on netflix on my wii!

I've read all the Twilight books, wanted to read Vampire Diaries, but haven't gotten that far. I love Twilight the best, but Damon is the best to look at

August 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
I couldn't come close to finishing Vampire Diaries as a book. It's still sitting on my bathroom counter top, and I just can't do it. The show is so much better, which is rare. I can't figure out why it inspired a show.

August 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
ka-chow's Avatar back again, again
They are so completely different I cant compare them other than which I just like better overall, but not as a comparison of "vampire stories".

Havent read vampire diaries though I'd like.
August 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
I have to say I adore the Vamp Diaries show. It's so different from Twilight (The SHOW is different) and I love it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search