True Blood vs. Twilight vs. Vampire Diaries

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
So I have seen that we have some True Blood fans on this board..as well as twilight. Of course there is also Vampire Diaries on the CW...

Which series do you prefer and why? Do you like the books as well?

Last edited by RTMOM; June 9th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
June 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
Of course you can see I prefer True Blood over all...but I like the Twilight series and I am just now getting into the Vampire Diaries (show).

I think True Blood is definitely different from the other two..and that is why I like it..more adult....more humor...better characters

My favorite books of all time are the Southern Vampire Mysteries (true blood books) ..and I think the show has done a pretty good job adapting it on screen.

June 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I'm a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse series but the show...meh...I'll watch and it's mildly entertaining but the show isn't half as good as the books.

Twilight the books are fantastic and I'm a huge Twilight fan. I like the movies because I like the books and the movies remind me of the books but the movies aren't on the same level as the books.

Vampire Diaries from what I've heard is really good. I've seen the first couple of episodes but couldn't commit because its on when its the kids bedtime. I have the books and I'll start then when I'm done reading the current series I'm reading.

Over all I'm a Twilight fan then Sookie Stackhouse.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
June 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
Same thing with Vampire Diaries...

I started watching back in fall..but stopped watching..then a coworker told me I missed a lot..so I am watching the replays on the CW now (thursdays).

I like the Twilight Books as well, I actually watched Twilight first out of all of them, then read the Twilight series. After reading those series, I was reading a forum and saw someone mention true blood..so I watched the whole first season..and loved it! Read all the books...and am now an avid fan

June 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Shows/Movies

1) Vampire Diaries -- my number one for plot and characters
2) True Blood
3) Twilight

Books

1) Sookie Stackhouse novels -- my number one because I LOVE the characters.
2) Twilight
3) The Vampire Diaries -- to be fair, I only read the first two, but I thought they were awful.

June 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just flat out can't even finish The Vampire Diaries book, but really like the show very much

Otherwise, Twilight hands down for me of course

June 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Ha! I warned you, Lauren!

June 9th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
Yeah I got through maybe 2 chapters of Vampire Diaries and I had to put it down....definitely nothing compared to the other two series..but I love the show!

June 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Ha! I warned you, Lauren!

Seriously. Seriously. I cannot finish it dude. It's just not for me for some reason

June 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I enjoyed the Sookie books past the first 2. The first 2 were slow, but I stuck it out and it paid off. I enjoyed the Twilight books equally, but in different ways.
I would say the shows/movies are about equal to. I don't care for much of the acting in True Blood (just the eye candy) but I wasn't super impressed with the Twilight movies either.
I tried to watch Vampire Diaries and couldn't get into it and I never touched those books.

June 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The Vampire Diaries started off pretty bad. I wasn't impressed with the first few shows. I am so glad I stuck it out, though. I re-watched the first two episodes and it was like a totally different show. They cut out the cheese, like the raven and the fog and Damon's over-the-top villain-ness. Melissa, you would love it if you gave it another chance. It's in reruns right now. I think this week is episode three.

June 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is True Blood the one on HBO? We don't get that channel but I've heard it's pretty good.

It's kind of funny that Twilight was one of the few movies that I thought was better as a movie than a book. It took out the elements of the book that drove me nuts and added subtleties that I thought were missing from the books. The Lord of the Rings was another one I thought worked better as a movie. But I digress....

Did any of you guys read any of the vampire books by Anne Rice? What did you think of those?

June 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I totally agree on the Vamp Diaries-- I stuck it out on the first few shows, and I still don't know why at all. And we rewatched episode 1 the other day and we were both shocked at how bad it was. I was rolling my eyes CONSTANTLY.
On the other hand, I have been on an emotional rollercoaster in the last few episodes, especially when the triangle started to legitimately develop instead of being forced. I actually don't know who I want her to choose (that's a lie, it's Damon)

June 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I can't believe how complicated it got. I was reading an interview with Kevin Williamson and he said they decided to take a sharp departure from the books after the first few episodes. Haha! Good call. On terms of character relationships, it's one of the best shows I've seen maybe ever. Especially with the siblings. I think we're going to see Jeremy and Elena's relationship start to mirror Stefan's and Damon's, or at least how it was.

June 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm kinda glad they invented Jeremy- I was even super sad about the whole Pearl spin. I was really sad about that, like super sad for him

I feel sad for Vamp Diaries fans though. I know what it's like for something to drastically depart from something you love, especially if you felt the original story line was perfect as it was

June 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I know. Me, too. I wonder if I would have been able to get into the books if I wasn't invested in the show when I tried to read them.

June 11th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Ok Ok, maybe when I have some free time I'll download some episodes!

June 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Just remember that is starts off really rough and it's really cheesy in parts. The only reason to watch the first few episodes is to get the backstory.

June 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love True Blood but to truly enjoy it, I have to pretend that True Blood and SVM are occurring in two separate universes. My DH hears a whole lot of "Thats soooo not what happened in the book!" when I watch the show, so I have to mentally separate the two. I love Eric so much, and I don't like the way the show is making him to be the bad guy and Bill the nice guy. I much prefer Eric in the book.

Twilight makes me wish Buffy could meet Edward in a dark alley, and that Jacob would be neutered by a well-intentioned park service veterinarian while in wolf form. Gag. Team Tyler's Van!!

June 14th, 2010, 06:41 AM
JustJodes's Avatar Valar Morghulis
I love them all, which totally shocks me seeing as I hate the whole vampire obsession thing and have since the Anne Rice craze went on. Maybe I was just too young to appreciate it? I wouldn't say I love one more than any other but I do love them all differently. "True Blood" is edgier and is geared towards a much different audience than the teen vamp books/movies/shows. I've yet to read any of the SVM but I do love Charlaine Harris' other work so I hope to get to them this summer. I love "Twilight" and "Vampire Diaries" as a fun escape from reality. I would probably not like both if they were both movies or television shows. I find the "Vampire Diaries" to be like a fantasy version of "The OC". I've never read those books either but I'd likely read the Sookie books before them. I think they are all harmless entertainment for most people. I find it hard to compare "True Blood" to the other two series though.

Oh, and Eric's nekkid backside was well worth the wait last night

'Not today.'”

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search