Rugrats

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Does anyone remember this show? I'd mostly forgotten about it, until we found it on Netflix.

Three babies and a toddler are constantly left totally unsupervised. In various episodes they end up in the projection room of a movie theatre, the neighbors yard (where there's a vicious dog), on the ice rink during a musical show, etc.

The older girl is 3, and always bullies and abuses them, and no one does anything about it. They also watch excessive amounts of television.

So, knowing all that.. is this a cartoon you'd ever let your own child watch? They never say anything inappropriate in the language department, but it can be argued that the show promotes the idea that bullying/abuse should be tolerated instead of dealt with, at the very least.

The most inappropriate thing I've ever heard on the show was exceptionally hilarious, so i tried to ignore it. There was a "nudist" episode, where the main baby keeps taking all his clothes off. He convinces the twins, a boy and a girl, to follow his example. After the twins (Phil and Lil) get undressed, they look at each other, point and gasp "Phil!" "Lil!!". Then the other boy baby says "Um, Lil..? Can I ask you a question?"
August 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I grew up on that show and never really noticed the bullying or lack of supervision (I'm a child of the 90s. Born in '92), but now that you mention it, I can totally see what you mean! I believe they also had a movie where the boy Tommy got lost in the woods because he toddled off, as well as another movie where, if I remember correctly, they got lost in Paris.
Most of the 90s shows were similar (Ren and Stimpy, for example, was pretty disturbing), and as far as I can tell it hasn't negatively affected children.
I'd let my daughter watch that before I'd let her watch Hannah Montana, but mainly because I'd rather her watch babies having adventures as opposed to a teenager with two lives and constant "boyfriend" talk.
But thats just me.
If I noticed her bullying another child and saying because someone on a show did it, however, she wouldn't be watching that show anymore.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
August 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I grew up watching it. I had a friend though that wasn't allowed to watch it because of the bully, Angelica. I don't have any issues with it though. Just like with any shows, I'll be teaching Chloe that it's a cartoon and sometimes they do silly things (like take their clothes off).

August 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I grew up watching
The Brady Bunch
Little House on the Prairie
The Waltons
The Partridge Family

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOVE THAT CARTOON! They have it on On Demand, so Lily watches it I was an addict of that show when I was younger, same thing as Doug. The babies are all unsupervised and get into trouble, but meh, better than other shows I was into (like Beavis and Butthead). I watch the shows with Lily because I remember them and love them still
August 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
LOVE THAT CARTOON! They have it on On Demand, so Lily watches it I was an addict of that show when I was younger, same thing as Doug. The babies are all unsupervised and get into trouble, but meh, better than other shows I was into (like Beavis and Butthead). I watch the shows with Lily because I remember them and love them still
It's on On Demand?? I know what I'm watching tonight!!!

August 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMommy View Post
It's on On Demand?? I know what I'm watching tonight!!!
Yup! It's under kids, and Nickelodeon, and the episodes are there. Lily says they are under "Top picks" or something, but it's under the nickelodeon channel.
August 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
I loved that show! and I too just saw it on netflix when I was searching for a show for my son to watch. He asked to watch one episode, but he was bored

I never remember the bullying or lack of supervision, I guess since the babies talked, I didn't take it too seriously as a kid.

August 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to watch that show all the time. I have no real issue with it. I noticed the lack of supervision, but I think that is common with many cartoons. Bullying also seems to be a common theme in kids shows. If I remember right, Tommy (one of the babies) always stood up for the others and the babies often tried to right the wrongs.

August 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
My aunt told me her kids (now 20-25) loved it so she bought dd two of their movies. (First time I had seen them.) I find them overall annoying but dd loves them. I don't like Angelica the bully but I agree it's a central theme in life and kids movies. I wouldn't stop her from watching these but I do prefer more of the popular kids shows from today.
August 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I love them! I watched them a few years ago again. I think they're really, really cute.
August 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
With Bob as my witless!!!
August 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
I grew up watching
The Brady Bunch
Little House on the Prairie
The Waltons
The Partridge Family
I loved them in syndication! After school it was Brady Bunch time!!

I like Rugrats, Owen thinks they are a hoot! We went through a rugrats streaming phase a few months ago...ahhh netflix.
August 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
"Sometimes a baby's got to do what a baby's got to do!"

I love that show, I'd let my kids watch it for sure.

August 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Oh and it the later years there was Susie...remember her?

August 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I remember her! and..argh..what was the other little girl? With purple hair?

On a side note.. I put it on last week and my sisters saw it (they're 5 and 7)
and they spent a full week watching Rugrats, Hey Arnold, and Angry Beavers. I loved it

August 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
dismalgrin's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to dismalgrin Send a message via Yahoo to dismalgrin
That was one of the shows banned from the house when I was growing up for pretty much those reasons. As well as the fact that my father felt that we shouldn't watch shows with single parents on them.

My oldest has watched the show on occasion. But, I think it's something more for older kids. I don't think it was ever intended for actual babies to watch. lol

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter</div>
August 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I hated it then, hate it now. DH grew up watching it and now lets Kailey watch it on Netflix. Ugh... *shudders*... I just think it's rude!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .

September 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Veteran
I loved that show. And still do. The girl with the purple hair, is Kimi. There's also Chuckie, which was Kimi's step-brother, and Tommy's best friend.
September 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorngirl2006 View Post
I loved that show. And still do. The girl with the purple hair, is Kimi. There's also Chuckie, which was Kimi's step-brother, and Tommy's best friend.
Yes! Now I remember "the girl with the purple hair"!! I had really stopped watching it by then. My sis was addicted. She still (25) watches all those Disney and Nick cartoons.

Speaking of....anyone remember Salute Your Shorts or Hey Dude on Nick? I LOVED those Shows!!!
Salute Your Shorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hey Dude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search