Turning formal living/dining rooms into the "office"

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Veteran
If you had an "eat in" kitchen and not enough bedrooms (and no space for an office) would you turn your formal dining room, or formal living room into an office?

My dining room used to be an office, but I went crazy on HGTV shows and turned it back into the dining room it was meant to be...but I never use it. Now I sorta miss my office! lol It looks much nicer as a dining room though.
(as my husband kills me lol)
August 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I don't subscribe to rooms should only be used for their purpose.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If the room will be more useful as an office, do it.

I think having a formal room just for show or to use a few times a year is a waste. We'd like a house with a formal living room-so that we could use it as a play room!
August 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
If the room will be more useful as an office, do it.

I think having a formal room just for show or to use a few times a year is a waste. We'd like a house with a formal living room-so that we could use it as a play room!
When Owen was little, my formal living room actually was a huge playroom for a while. We stored all of his toys there, I still had furniture there but it was pretty casual. But as he got older, I took the room back as my own. It was time. lol We still do our geo-trax in there sometimes.
August 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
My house has a formal dining room. An eat in kitchen. A den and a formal living room.

The formal living room is the pool table room. It is where my desktop is and Grady's toys are.

The formal dining room will be set up as a play room with a bed or a convertible couch in it. Haven't decided.

Do what you have to do to maximize space. The way houses were built 40 years ago is so wasteful.

August 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not having a formal dining room was the one thing I regret about our house. We have people over a lot and our kitchen table only holds 8-max. I don't have the need for an office, so I wouldn't turn it into an office. However I agree that you should use your rooms how you see fit. What is the point of having space that could be put to better use?

August 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM
dismalgrin's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to dismalgrin Send a message via Yahoo to dismalgrin
I say go for it. My boyfriend and I have been talking about purchasing a house in the future. He wants to have 4 or more bedrooms because he has a son who he would like to have his own room as apposed to share a room with my son. Plus there is the fact that I would like to have one more child before I close up shop with my baby making machine. lol But, that big of house is expensive and I doubt even if we were both making 15 an hr we could swing it. So, I'm hoping to look into alternatives like basements, dining rooms, formal livingrooms. Come on... we will have to get creative.

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search