Registries

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM
laurabelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've come across this one while wedding planning. What do you think of a bride and groom creating a Honeymoon Registry to go along with the normal Home Store registry.

We wanted to do it because we already live together, our place is small, we have everything we need, and aren't going to really get too many opportunities to go on a really nice trip probably until Liam is much much older. We are also having a destination wedding and figure people may not want to travel with gifts. It might not be something a whole lot of people opt to do, but we thought we'd throw it out there (I know personally I just give cash at weddings).

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

November 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
People are usually happy to give a couple what they want for their wedding. Asking for cash is still considered to be tacky but all other registries are pretty socially acceptable I think.
November 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While I think most people enjoy getting something for people to help celebrate the occasion, the whole point of wedding gifts is to help the couple start their life together. Traditionally both or at least the bride lived at home and had very little. That rarely happens these days, but many do upgrade homes or move from apartments to homes and gifts are useful.

I think some many have an issue with paying for your honeymoon (that's what this is right?). Perhaps you can have your close friends and family help out, but I think its a bit rude for anyone beyond that.

November 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrs View Post
While I think most people enjoy getting something for people to help celebrate the occasion, the whole point of wedding gifts is to help the couple start their life together. Traditionally both or at least the bride lived at home and had very little. That rarely happens these days, but many do upgrade homes or move from apartments to homes and gifts are useful.

I think some many have an issue with paying for your honeymoon (that's what this is right?). Perhaps you can have your close friends and family help out, but I think its a bit rude for anyone beyond that.
In essence, yes. They can pay for certain activities, or dinner one night, or one night of the hotel stay, all sorts of things. We figured we would have that option, and also have a regular registry for guests who do want to buy gifts. This may be our one chance to take a real nice trip until Liam is quite a bit older.

November 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I totally understand that (we have a 6mo old). But I think you are seeing this from your view rather than your guests. Close friends and family will get it. They will see this as your opportunity to get away for a bit, but others may not. After all, most of them most likely have kids and aren't going on any real nice trips either.

November 15th, 2010, 06:47 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrs View Post
I totally understand that (we have a 6mo old). But I think you are seeing this from your view rather than your guests. Close friends and family will get it. They will see this as your opportunity to get away for a bit, but others may not. After all, most of them most likely have kids and aren't going on any real nice trips either.
But if that isn't the only thing they are registering for then what is the problem. The guests who want to help them with the honeymoon can and those that want to buy a more traditional gift or give money can do that as well.
November 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Of course they can and most will. But I think she's worried about how it may be seen.

November 15th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I guess I just hadn't realized that many people would be against such a thing until earlier today when someone had pointed it out, so thought I would get a feel for it. We will probably do it either way and see what happens, which should be ok so long as we do a traditional registry with it, I think...

February 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
I know this is an old post but it caught my attention. We registered at a travel agency for our wedding and it went over well. The whole point of registering for gifts at a wedding is to get what you want and need. Well, we already had a house and had been living together for many years so we didn't need nor want another toaster. A few people got us other things which was nice but in the end, we went to Southeast Asia and it was paid for. Our hobby is traveling so it was nice that our guests could provide us with a gift that we would remember for the rest of our lives.

You shouldn't have to have a traditional registry because that's what people are expecting. You shouldn't tiptoe around wanting to go on a trip just because other people may not have the opportunity. If someone is so annoyed by the fact that that you want to go on a trip and they can't, well then they can buy you some oven mitts.

February 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
@ oven mitts

March 28th, 2011, 10:49 AM
New Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just lurking, but wanted to pop in on this one.

Our friends recently married and this was the only option for a registry. We loved it. We paid through the travel agency and it was so easy to do. I think more than anything people are a bit skeptical about if your money's really going where the couple SAY it is...especially an older crowd having to use the internet.

I think people need to get over the old school registry concept. Yes, the reason a registry was created was for couples to get a "start" on their new homes, but our friends are 30 have great jobs, own a home, and don't need china

I'd rather get something that the bride and groom want, rather than something they'll return or never use.

Last edited by New Mama; March 28th, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
April 5th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Kelly! I think it's a cute idea! We loved all of our wedding gifts and MOST everyone got stuff off of our registry. We did a registry because we wanted new things (we were using all of DH's mom's old stuff) but if I knew about this, I may have done this instead or as well!!

April 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran
New here.

I think it sounds like a great idea! Since you don't need house stuff, I say register for what you actually need, a honeymoon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search