Fat-Positivity and Feminist Ramblings! Warning, long!

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jintana

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Super Mommy
j

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; January 13th, 2014 at 10:47 PM.
July 28th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Say what? are you looking to debate these topics or is this your introduction?

July 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I can't read all of that, sorry. Just way too much.

Although good luck with TTC!
July 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Hi Daenerys!

I want to add something I've learned from my husband.

Call me fat? Well, yep, I am! I also have brown hair, green eyes, and I'm short. None of those are judgments; they are descriptions. Granted, we all KNOW we're fat when we're fat and don't need the reminder or the "hey, have you noticed you're FAT?". But there's no need for me to take offense. Part of the whole positivity thing.

I became pregnant with #1 while on a weight-loss program (low-carb and miles of biking daily). I'd lost about 15lb and then, voila! Up the spout. I suppose my husband had *something* to do with it.

So, good luck with TTC and thank you for sharing that. I agree with much of your viewpoint and think it's far healthier than some of the crap spouted about being fat on this board lately.
Spider123 likes this.

July 29th, 2011, 06:22 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Umm what? Good luck TTC.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

July 29th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Super Mommy
Poncho, not necessarily looking for a debate, I just wasn't sure where this post belonged!
Dayna, haha no worries about not reading- I didn't really expect many people to! Thanks for the well wishes!
KAT, thanks also for the good luck! Right back at you!
Jintana, thanks for your reply! I see that you're a Dragoness- is that some kind of forum thing or are you also a fan of the series? Funny thing, I watched the show with my DH and sister, and now he's reading the books, and I wasn't that huge of a fan or anything but we honestly kind of contemplated Khaleesi for a girl's name (although, I think it's too "out there", even for me!"). Thank you for adding points I missed! Even with all that typing, I knew there was something missing. So, thank you for adding that "fat" doesn't (and shouldn't) be an insult. It is just a descriptive term- like tall, thin, short, freckled, etc. etc. Congrats on your new pregnancy!! How exciting. Good for you for your daily biking! I haven't been able to bike much this summer but at least am back on the treadmill. Oh, and the EA Sports Active 2 for PS3- it's like WiiFit but more intense. Not a video game person, but totally recommend as a fun exercise routine!

Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day!
July 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh. Okay.

FTR, I didn't find any of that particularly radical. I'm well aware that heavy people can be in better shape than small people.

My body's set point seems to be 113lbs, since that is the precise number it always seems to be. My pre and final post pregancy weight were 113. Now, no matter if I'm in good shape, or squishy, I'm 113. My body just likes it. Even at that though, I have had high cholesterol levels in the past and my cardio fitness was crap up until a couple months ago.

If you want proof that bigger girls can be in shape you don't need to look any further than roller derby. When I first started playing my endurance was terrible, and some of those bigger girls could skate circles around me.

July 29th, 2011, 10:14 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
If you want proof that bigger girls can be in shape you don't need to look any further than roller derby. When I first started playing my endurance was terrible, and some of those bigger girls could skate circles around me.
that is so hawt!

July 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Super Mommy
Haha totally hawt! My sis wants to get into roller derby, and it sounds pretty cool, but I'm a wimp and scared I would get crushed!
Kudos to you and your derby-playing self!
July 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I'm reading the books right now and she is my favorite character!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Hi.
July 31st, 2011, 10:12 PM
Super Mommy
Hey Beth! I haven't read them yet, but my husband is part way through them and says they're really good!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search