Copper IUD vs Mirena IUD

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Super Mommy
I didn't know where else to put this, so I figured I would try here. I'm going to the dr. on the 4th for a checkup and to get on birth control. The only options I can really choose are tubal or IUD because of blood clotting issues. The tubal is just too permanent for me so I decided to go with the IUD, but I'm not sure which one. I only know one person that has had one but she's not sure which one she has.

If you have ever had either or know of someone else's experience with either, what are your feelings on them? Did you have any side effects? How bad does it hurt to get one put in?

November 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check out the birth control forum: birth control

I have the copper IUD (Paragard) because I don't do well on progesterone-only birth control, it has a tendency to cause Estrogen-induced depression in me. I felt a pinch when it was inserted (like a pap smear) and I had cramping & nausea for a few hours that was easily relieved with Ibuprofen. I spotted for about a week.

November 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM
chlodoll
Id go with a copper. I am going to get one in the next couple weeks.
November 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Super Mommy
thanks. I didn't even see the birth control forum. I looked for one but I guess I just skipped right past it. I'm already dealing with some depression so maybe I shouldn't even take the chance with the Mirena if it can cause depression. The only thing that keeps me from not wanting the paragard is I read it can cause heavier/longer periods and I already would have heavy long periods before I was pregnant.

December 11th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if you already got it but I got the Mirena and LOVE it. I absolutely love the light periods... no cramping... I love it. I have had the copper one and it hurt every month like bad contractions...

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
December 16th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Regular
I'll post this question in the other room too I guess, but I was wondering: when I wear jewelry with copper in it my skin turns green. Does that mean I'm allergic and can't use the copper IUD? Because i really dont like hormonal birth control and would prefer to avoid it if I could
December 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have had the copper one and it hurt every month like bad contractions...[/b]
^ditto. I am going to be getting the mirena in at the end of the month and I hope that I have a good experience with it. I hade the copper one in for 4 years and it caused very heavy bleeding and bad cramps.

January 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to check back in & ask what you decided & if you got it done & how it went???

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Super Mommy
I had decided to go with the copper IUD since I read that depression can be a side effect of the Mirena and I already deal with depression and didn't want to take that risk. I went in to my dr. and told him my decision and he said I had to wait until I got my first period. Well, I started on the 28th and wouldn't be able to get into the dr until Jan 2. I didn't get to get one because as of Jan 1st I would have to meet my deductible on my insurance again before it would cover anything so I would have had to pay about $400 plus $35 copayment for office visit out of pocket. I don't have that kind of money right now after the holidays so I'm going to have to wait. A friend of mine told me last night that a friend of hers told her that she had the mirena and had to take it out due to complications and that a local hospital here cannot use them anymore because they're going through a lawsuit over that type of IUD. I don't know any details but hopefully I can find something on it. If/when I do I'll share with you ladies.

January 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You get it done while you are on your period... They insert a depth thing... I can't remember what they are called... A SOUND... they check the depth of your uterus... it doesnt hurt... Then they take and insert it through your cervix... feels like a contraction or getting checked for dialation... Then they trim the string... pull out and BOOM you are done... They tell you to take motrin and take a nap... I LOVE MINE... LOVE IT... LOVE IT... I am not depressed or anything... you check it once a month for the string... i don't... bad me... but I know my string is curled around my cervix... so no worries... Oh.. I don't know how much they cost because I am military so we get ours free.

January 23rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
You get it done while you are on your period... They insert a depth thing... I can't remember what they are called... A SOUND... they check the depth of your uterus... it doesnt hurt... Then they take and insert it through your cervix... feels like a contraction or getting checked for dialation... Then they trim the string... pull out and BOOM you are done... They tell you to take motrin and take a nap... I LOVE MINE... LOVE IT... LOVE IT... I am not depressed or anything... you check it once a month for the string... i don't... bad me... but I know my string is curled around my cervix... so no worries... Oh.. I don't know how much they cost because I am military so we get ours free.[/b]
I ony know 2 peple IRL that had it done & both told me it hurt a LOT - and even caused pain & cramping days after. I wonder if it's just different for different people.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I get it done on my 2nd day of my period where its really heavy. But I have also had 4 kidney stones and a natural child birth so my pain level is pretty high... I will say is worth it and to take a motrin before and days after...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search