My discovery

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Super Mommy
I just shared this with my playroom and thought of you ladies. First of all I wanted to share my new trick with you all and see if it'll work for you and second I thought of a question that may or may not be debatable.

First from my post on the other board.....

Quote:
I just have to share something I discovered yesterday. Someone else may have heard of it before, I don't know, but I've never heard of using baby wipes for this before and it's amazing to me.

My 6 year old shared some fruit snacks with my 1 year old yesterday. My 1 year old was all sticky so I grabbed a baby wipe to clean her off real quick. I was in house cleaning mode at the time and saw a little stain on my carpet so I wiped it with the baby wipe and it came right up. I thought "wow, that was easy" so I tried it on a little stain that had been on the carpet for a little while. It came up too! My carpet is only about 5 months old and is a really light beige color and there are stains all over the place from my kids and husband. I tried using resolve and scrubbing them out, but it didn't work. I started going all over my carpet with baby wipes and all those stains were coming out. You do have to scrub a little bit, but nothing like I had to do with the resolve. I was just absolutely amazed so I called one of my friends and told her about it. She called me this morning and said she tried my trick out on her sheets. She saw something that looked like blood or chocolate and she grabbed a baby wipe and it came right out. I don't know if it's the particular brand I use or if it works with any kind as I don't know what kind my friend has, but I use Huggies Natural Care and they're the lighty scented ones.

Try it and tell me if it works for you. I'm interested to see if it's just me or if more people get the same results and if it depends on what brand of wipes you use.[/b]

Now my question....If the baby wipes work better than a stain remover, do you think it's still safe to use on a baby's skin to clean them off? Could there be an ingredient in them that could harm them? Would it make you think twice about using the wipes on your baby?

January 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow I am not sure about using them on baby - but I definitely will be trying them on my carpet.

This may replace my magic eraser as the next best thing.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is why I make my own baby wipes. You never know what is in store bought ones.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
Many of the baby wipes out there have carcinogenic ingredients in them. Same with a lot of the Johnson and Johnson baby stuff. I do not use these things on my baby because of the fact that there is formeldahyde and so forth in baby products on the market. Take the ingredients list, and keep in mind they are not required to tell you everything that is in the product or to label formeldahyde as formeldahyde (there are like 30 different names for formeldahyde!) because of a trade secret law. But take that list of ingredients they provide you and google them. You will find a lot of things.

January 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
This is why I make my own baby wipes. You never know what is in store bought ones. [/b]

what do you use to make your own? I've actually started thinking about doing that but all i can come up with is paper towels.

off subject but I have a Jasmine too and we call her Jassie/Jas/Jassieboo. Your username stuck out to me because you spell "Jassie" the same way. Everyone I know uses z's

January 6th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Many of the baby wipes out there have carcinogenic ingredients in them. Same with a lot of the Johnson and Johnson baby stuff. I do not use these things on my baby because of the fact that there is formeldahyde and so forth in baby products on the market. Take the ingredients list, and keep in mind they are not required to tell you everything that is in the product or to label formeldahyde as formeldahyde (there are like 30 different names for formeldahyde!) because of a trade secret law. But take that list of ingredients they provide you and google them. You will find a lot of things.[/b]

woah!!! I didn't know that! That's scary. And we're supposed to use this stuff on our babies and trust they have our babies' health, well being, and best interest in mind??!! How can they put this stuff on the shelves? some kind of warning at the very least?

January 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for reminding me about that trick..I discovered that a long time ago. I'm interested in making my own wipes. How?
January 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
This is why I make my own baby wipes. You never know what is in store bought ones. [/b]

what do you use to make your own? I've actually started thinking about doing that but all i can come up with is paper towels.

off subject but I have a Jasmine too and we call her Jassie/Jas/Jassieboo. Your username stuck out to me because you spell "Jassie" the same way. Everyone I know uses z's
[/b]

I use the softest tissues. To make them moist and smell nice I use sorbolene cream, water and also add a bit of zinc and castor oil cream to prevent nappy rash. I just mix the creams with the water and dip the tissues in as I need. I only use the water so that the creams mix well.

Everyone I know use's z's in Jassie as well. We decided to use s's coz Jasmine is spelt with an s not a z.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

I use the softest tissues. To make them moist and smell nice I use sorbolene cream, water and also add a bit of zinc and castor oil cream to prevent nappy rash. I just mix the creams with the water and dip the tissues in as I need. I only use the water so that the creams mix well.

Everyone I know use's z's in Jassie as well. We decided to use s's coz Jasmine is spelt with an s not a z.
[/b]
Mum to a Jasmine too. I call her Jas/Jassy but I am still working out if I want to spell it Jazz or Jas LOL
January 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
mrobinson
I was just planning on using wet paper towel, like my mom did on my baby brother... I don't think we should use cremes/oils/etc until something, like a diaper rash, develops.. I hope you find what you're looking for.
January 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Homemade Baby Wipes

Baby Wipes are easy to make yourself! Cut a roll of good quality white paper towels in half, remove inner cardboard roll and soak them in 2 cups distilled water, 2 tablespoons baby oil and 2 tablespoons baby soap or baby shampoo, baby wash. Put some of these in a zipper seal bag for traveling. You can also cut up extra used cloth diapers, receiving blankets, washcloths or soft shirts to be used as reusable wipes. Plain water will also work. When you cut the paper towels in half they fit a 10 cup Tupperware container. One additional tip - If your baby is prone to yeast infections, you might try adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to the mix.[/b]
I think that is great advice - I would only trade baby oil for another organic oil (such as almond, grape seed, olive, etc) as baby oil is mineral oil & is petroleum based.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
irishxrose
I just have to laugh at this... because I read something like this awhile ago on another site and tried my baby wipes on the stains on our carpet from Joshua peeing all over the place, and those stains did not "magically" disappear. In fact, the wipes didn't even do anything to them.

ETA: It can also depend on the brand. We use Kirkland baby wipes, and sometimes Pampers, and neither took away stains or even made them dull.
January 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
irishxrose
That's a good point too... the type of carpet would probably have a big impact on it.
January 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Not sure how many of you live in apartments, but all the apartments we've lived in when you move in the carpet looks great (I'm assuming because most have the carpets shampooed) but after a month of so stains come back up that you didn't even put there! For example, in our living room there's a huge stain where something was either spilled or an animal used the restroom and we didn't put it there (and yet apartments always blame you for them). I'm going to try the baby wipes thing in a little while.
Oh, and thanks for the homemade wipes thing. Miranda's got a rash (not really a diaper rash but it starts where her diaper closes on her belly) so I've been trying to think of what else I could use that wouldn't leave her dried out down there.
Amanda
January 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I just have to laugh at this... because I read something like this awhile ago on another site and tried my baby wipes on the stains on our carpet from Joshua peeing all over the place, and those stains did not "magically" disappear. In fact, the wipes didn't even do anything to them.

ETA: It can also depend on the brand. We use Kirkland baby wipes, and sometimes Pampers, and neither took away stains or even made them dull.[/b]
I wonder if the type of carpet has anything to do with it as well. I tried that too because the wipes were the only thing handy. The stain stayed....
[/b]

I figured I wasn't the first to "discover" this. It must be my carpet then? That or the wipes I used. I don't know, I just know it worked for me and wanted to share in case it worked for someone else. I had 2 spots where my 1 year old peed on the floor and both came out. We just got a dog Sunday and wouldn't you know she's in season. We put a pair of my 6 year old's panties on her with a pad in them but she got them off in the middle of the night and got blood spots all over my carpet. The wipes get the blood out for me. I do have to dab a little bit and then scrub back and forth a few times, but it works. Oh well, at least it works for me and if anyone else happens to find it works for them then it was worth it for me to share.

January 10th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Marissa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Marissa Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa
Quote:
Not sure how many of you live in apartments, but all the apartments we've lived in when you move in the carpet looks great (I'm assuming because most have the carpets shampooed) but after a month of so stains come back up that you didn't even put there! For example, in our living room there's a huge stain where something was either spilled or an animal used the restroom and we didn't put it there (and yet apartments always blame you for them). I'm going to try the baby wipes thing in a little while.
Oh, and thanks for the homemade wipes thing. Miranda's got a rash (not really a diaper rash but it starts where her diaper closes on her belly) so I've been trying to think of what else I could use that wouldn't leave her dried out down there.
Amanda[/b]

I'm an ex apartment renter, and i noticed the same thing, although, they told us we were the first ones to live in that apartment, we knew better, because it was so obvious, that there were other tenants before us.

Anyways, after 2 months of living at the apartment i found stains, i knew that neither my SO or I put there (i think we would remember putting a stain in the carpet) and we got blamed for it. It's funny how the blame the tenants who are living in the apartment when they obviously knew about the stain before hand. The stain looked old. No amount of stain remover would take it away.

Oh and thanks for the Do it yourself baby wipes, i'll have to remember that for when i have a baby.
January 13th, 2007, 01:06 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
We use Resolve on our carpets

For baby wipes, we just use toilet paper and warm tap water. Clean up the baby, let her air/dry out, and perhaps put some diaper rash ointment like A+D on. The air/dry out part's the hardest, because Julia's a very "hands on" type of gal LMAO
January 13th, 2007, 01:19 AM
chlodoll
That is a load of crap in my opinion! I used dish detergent to get the stains out of my carpet. Pretty much anything with soap will work as long as the stain hasnt been set forever. I cant use actual carpet cleaners, I am to paranoid with all the chemicals and that my baby will lick the carpet lol And I use store bought wipes and always will.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search