What do you think....

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
classifies someone as a tomboy or a girlie girl? I'm curious to know because one of my husband's co-workers (he doesn't know me that well) made a comment that I'm a tomboy because I know how to break down boxes. I explained to him that my parents taught me how to break down boxes (like coke boxes) when I was younger because it made it easier to take the trash out. I don't consider myself a tomboy or a girlie girl just someone in between. I wanted to see what characteristics y'all had for both to see if I'm actually a tomboy and just don't realize it. I'll post what I think later.
Amanda
January 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
LMAO! It sounds as though this coworker has very low expectations of women! I know how to break down boxes, change a tire, check my engines fluids, I can saddle my own horse, and I even drink beer! I also LOVE the color pink, I am addicted to shoes (I really need to attend meetings), I like to dress up, and I also like wine.

I don't know why we have to classify the girly girl or tomboy, especially with our children. I want my daughter to be just as versatile as me without having to worry about some silly label, KWIM?

January 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Stacy... I learned how to saddle my pony when i was around 8... My mom told me to do it or no barrel racing for me... so I did it... Had the meanest pony in the world... she would lightly kick it out of my hands.... Never hurt me... but she would always do it.. I was a tomboy my whole life... Mama could not keep me clean... AT ALL.. I do almost anything a guy can do... I love to get down and dirty on 4wheelers, dirt bikes but I clean up right nice... I can shoot any gun... I can so almost anything with my hands... I LOVE IT... yes my favorite color is pink and yes I LOVE SHOES

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
January 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
LMAO! It sounds as though this coworker has very low expectations of women! I know how to break down boxes, change a tire, check my engines fluids, I can saddle my own horse, and I even drink beer! I also LOVE the color pink, I am addicted to shoes (I really need to attend meetings), I like to dress up, and I also like wine.

I don't know why we have to classify the girly girl or tomboy, especially with our children. I want my daughter to be just as versatile as me without having to worry about some silly label, KWIM?
My husband once counted the number of shoes I owned and it was pretty scary - somewhere in the fifty range. I will be the president of the meeting if you like.
January 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
Quote:

My husband once counted the number of shoes I owned and it was pretty scary - somewhere in the fifty range. I will be the president of the meeting if you like.
[/b]
Ha ha! ME TOO!!! I honestly had NO IDEA I had that many shoes! I would probably classify myself as somewhat as a tomboy growing up. I had a brother so played a lot of sports, was rough and tumble, climbed trees, loved getting dirty...but also had a sizeable doll collection!

January 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate the terms tomboy and girly girl. I love football and hate makeup but I am still a girl not a boy. I think it adds to the stereotypes when we use language to describe girls being "boyish" and "girly".
January 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
See I think I fall in between the two. I, like Stacey, know how to change a flat, check the fluids in my car, put oil in, etc. but that was because my stepdad taught me how so I wouldn't have to rely on a man to do every little thing for me. I often wear jeans and a cute top, but I never wear heels unless I'm really dressed up. I like skirts in the summer. I'm not a big shoe person, but I love purses and belts. I'm also a very assertive person, very outspoken, and some of my mannerisms I guess are more like a guys then a girls. I do wear makeup, but I don't have to have it on at all times.
Amanda
January 19th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Adey
I don't know. I think I have qualities of both: I can change a tyre etc, I can do DIY. However I like pink, I like to dress up (skirts not dresses), I like wearing make up. I also have a major shoe problem... I'm also very lucky, Kelly's the same size as me so I got to double the amount of shoes I have overnight (over 70 pairs - most being Kelly's). On the note of DW she's more girly than I am in how she dresses, but like me she can change a tyre etc, though her shoe obession whilst it's worse than mine doesn't involve as many 'girly' shoes.

Emily could be described as a tomboy, she loves bugs, it can be hard to keep her clean, likes to play with boys, but she'll do all of this whilst wearing top to toe pink - if she gets her own way. She likes dancing, and judo. Darcy's more 'girly' she likes to play with her bagpuss toy, dollhouse, toy kitchen, but she'll watch Emily play with bugs and has a facination with watching spiders (alot like Emily did). So I don't know I'd say they have tomboy and girly qualities, but as long as their happy so am I.
January 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Hehe! I just did some cleaning out the closet, and after getting rid of 14 pairs of shoes, I still have 63 pairs in my closet . My DH cannot grasp why I need so many pairs of shoes, he says you only need one pair in each color . I wish it was so easy! Man, I need to go get more shoes!!

January 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
classifies someone as a tomboy or a girlie girl? I'm curious to know because one of my husband's co-workers (he doesn't know me that well) made a comment that I'm a tomboy because I know how to break down boxes. I explained to him that my parents taught me how to break down boxes (like coke boxes) when I was younger because it made it easier to take the trash out. I don't consider myself a tomboy or a girlie girl just someone in between. I wanted to see what characteristics y'all had for both to see if I'm actually a tomboy and just don't realize it. I'll post what I think later.
Amanda[/b]
Those co-workers are morons..

Quote:
I hate the terms tomboy and girly girl. I love football and hate makeup but I am still a girl not a boy. I think it adds to the stereotypes when we use language to describe girls being "boyish" and "girly".[/b]

I can't believe how gender specific we have become.. I love shoes, make up, looking feminine and love hockey. I hate, hate, hate to hear about how some of the expecting moms would do a sports theme for their baby on the condition it's a boy. Why? Don't girls play sports? What am I even saying ~ don't get me started because I could go on for days how screwed up our perception of gender is.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search