Dr. Phil....becoming more like Jerry Springer????

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is it just me or is the Dr. Phil show getting more and more trashy? I don't know what happened, but now every time I turn on that show (which is rarely), it is a show about a guy sleeping with his wife's sister or something like that. Maybe I'm just missing the days when there are actually good things on or something. What do you all think?

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

February 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
chloe82
Quote:
Is it just me or is the Dr. Phil show getting more and more trashy? I don't know what happened, but now every time I turn on that show (which is rarely), it is a show about a guy sleeping with his wife's sister or something like that. Maybe I'm just missing the days when there are actually good things on or something. What do you all think?[/b]

Yes! He totally is! It drives me crazy, I used to watch him all the time and loved it but it seems to be getting more and more extreme and Springer-esque. It used to be so much more low-key and relatable, now it's just getting ridiculous. And the House of Hatred? Oh man.
February 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let me start off with saying I love Dr.Phil, but I haven't caught his show recently. I have to watch this week and see what he has on.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
February 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Let me start off with saying I love Dr.Phil, but I haven't caught his show recently. I have to watch this week and see what he has on.[/b]

Okay, then you come back and tell me what you think because I've gotten to where I can't even watch it anymore. I use to find it so practical and really liked it. I'm disappointed.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

February 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM
donomama
YES!!! I used to watch it all the time right after I had my daughter. I've watched it only a couple times in the past year, and it's totally trashy! He used to seem like he was trying to help people, now it seems like it's just for the shock value.
February 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Oh, totally, to the shock thing.

I was watching an episode right before I moved (I DVR it, don't ask me why because I honestly can't remember why I do ), and it was about this girl who wanted to meet her father; her father had murdered her mother, had been in jail all her life, and on and off drugs. He was now clean and willing to meet with his DD. It would have been a nice reunion, except Dr. Phil kept barging in with temper-provoking questions, and yada yada yada.

I was seriously crying for the girl while I was watching the show, I felt so bad for her in that situation. She was so scared the whole time, right before they brought her dad out she started bawling.
February 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM
tevinsangel
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks Dr. Phil is starting to act like Jerry Springer's cousin!! The show used to be decent and he seemed to actually care about people and helping them. Now, it's all about ratings, I suppose and he needs to add some shock value to it. Too bad, he lost another viewer when he went down that road. I wonder if Oprah is embarrassed yet of the man who got his fame through her...
February 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok I watched on Wednesday with the makeovers and it was okay, but the wife. Why is his wife involved in almost every show now it seems?

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
February 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I thought the same thing when I saw the ad about the man sleeping with his wife's sister. I never watch Dr. Phil, except for the episode about the heroin addicted twins because they are from the same town as me! Did anyone catch that one?
February 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I think I did see that one...they were at the Dr. Phil House or something?
February 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Yep! I've never actually seen them, which is strange b/c they were prostitutes and they walked the street that I drive down a LOT, but it was interesting to say the least. The sad part is, one of them was pregnant
February 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE Dr. Phil and honestly hadn't noticed that it had become trashy.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
February 21st, 2007, 01:48 PM
Really? I just watched it the other day again (kind of) and it was the Dr. Phil house. The one girl in there was a stripper, another couple where the wife had a boyfriend that they brought TO THE HOUSE to confront them.....it's getting so trashy, IMO.

~Stacey

February 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Morwen's Avatar Regular
I Haven't watched Dr Phil in a long time... I was banned from watching it when I was pregnant by my finace because he used to come home from work and I was all crazy hormonal on him and started accusing him of whatever the topic was that day... LOL

It was quite humourous acutally...

But when I started to try and watch it again post pregnancy I found it had taken a really strange turn towrds the Jerry Springer direction too...

My Mom loves Dr Phil so I don't dare say anything bad about him or his guests, but personally I can't watch it anymore... And I often wonder how Oprah feels about what direction his show has taken these days...

~
February 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Is it just me or is the Dr. Phil show getting more and more trashy? I don't know what happened, but now every time I turn on that show (which is rarely), it is a show about a guy sleeping with his wife's sister or something like that. Maybe I'm just missing the days when there are actually good things on or something. What do you all think?[/b]
No. It's not just you. DH and I used to love Dr. Phil. Your President's Day was Family day here so we were home and watched 40 minutes of it. It was in a house and these couples were fighting.. It's was horrible. There was no intervention from Dr. Phil by the time we decided this was too trashy to continue watching. It made me sad because I know he is a good man with good intentions but I think the Hollywood influence of trash has overtaken the show.

Quote:
I can't watch it anymore... And I often wonder how Oprah feels about what direction his show has taken these days...[/b]
Me too.
February 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
I've honestly never seen the Dr. Phil show but I've seen Springer and it's somewhat scary to think there are two shows alike!

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
February 26th, 2007, 09:58 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly don't think the Dr. Phil show is anything like Jerry Springer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search