The Roloff's

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I haven't seen this season but watched it religiously last season....
Maybe it is me, but I find their kids to be kind of bratty. I don't have any specific examples but I have left that show thinking at times that the mother is disrespectful to the husband and vice versa. Also, the kids seem to be flippant at times.
I find the show fun but haven't gotten back into it this season.[/b]

Quote:
Personally, I disagree. I often think they don't do that great of a job. The parents are always at odds for what to do with the family. He goes and makes some wild purchase or job and she doesn't agree, but he does it anyway. Kind of showing the kids that there is little self control if you really want it. He doesn't always stick with a project either. The mom seems always so high strung that she seems to just go crazy being married to him sometimes. And the kids often don't follow what the parents say. They will tell them to do their chores and they bum around forever. Typical kids yes, but I don't usually see the consequences for their actions. I think the parents do a great job in showing their kids that no matter who you are, how tall, short, whatever you can do anything you set your mind to. That is great that they are modeling that, but honestly I disagree with their parenting often. JMO[/b]

Quote:
I also agree that it is a great show t watch but the kids seem to be a little bratty especially the twins. The taller one always seems so annoyed when he's asked to do somethign like pull the luggage or something.And yeah the dad never finishes anything . All those projects out there and how many are actually done lol. All in all i like the show.[/b]

Quote:
Quote:
I love the show too, they are obviously a close and loving family, but sometimes I'm awestruck by how the mom cuts down the dad so often and so brutally, especially in front of the kids! I don't even think she realizes she does it. I honestly watch it taking notes in the back of my mind on how not to treat my husband when I disagree with him!!![/b]

Yeah, I've noticed that when the mom is disrespectful towards the dad its usually in front of the kids too, and what is that teaching there kids ?
[/b]
I love the Roloff's! Personally, I think if you guys find THIS to be dysfunctional, you have very high and unrealistic standards! In no way are they perfect every single day but no family is. "Oh my gosh! A teenager rolled his eyes and has a flippant attitude when asked to do something, let's call in the family therapists!" I think not.
April 22nd, 2007, 06:40 AM
Morwen's Avatar Regular
Quote:
i was horrified about the block thing too.Does it kinda seem like the daughter doesn't fit in anywhere lol[/b]
OMG..

I saw that episode last night and it made me sick to my stomach... I felt so horrible for little Jacob.. and Mike was sooooo incredibly lucky!!!

I am sure they thought it was safe for Jacob to operate, they really don't seem like a reckless family to me. Although some of Matt creations are a little scary!

~
April 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Lesliemck86's Avatar Super Mommy
I do not think you can get an accurate portrayal of this family through reality television cameras. I'm sure a lot of things about the family are left out, so either way for any of you to say they are "good parents" or its a "dysfuntional household" i don't agree with either one. I can't really judge the family.
BUT
the show is good!

</div>
April 23rd, 2007, 05:39 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I thought it was a little strange that they seemed kind of emotionless when Jacob got hurt. I have seen other parents react to their child being injured and they usually display more urgency and concern. Maybe it's just me but they just seemed like "eh whatever."

I don't like the fact that the husband does things without telling his wife like the episode where he buys the car while his wife was away. I'd be angry with my DH if he went out and bought a car without talking to me first.

April 23rd, 2007, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I thought it was a little strange that they seemed kind of emotionless when Jacob got hurt. I have seen other parents react to their child being injured and they usually display more urgency and concern. Maybe it's just me but they just seemed like "eh whatever."

I don't like the fact that the husband does things without telling his wife like the episode where he buys the car while his wife was away. I'd be angry with my DH if he went out and bought a car without talking to me first.[/b]

Just because they weren't crying and hysterical doesn't mean they were "emotionless." You have no idea what they were feeling! I think it's pretty unfair to put that label on them. You also have to remember that they had their other three kids there too, so it probably would have been more detrimental to act hysterical at that point. And, as for the car, when Amy left, she had a pretty good idea he was going to buy that if I remember; they interviewed her and she said she had a feeling that Matt was going to do that when she was gone. She probably could have called him and insisted he not do so if she chose to.
April 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
All I said was that I thought it was a bit strange that they didn't seem to show much emotion. It's not like I said they were horrible people because they weren't bawling and hysterical.

IMO the family doesn't seem to show much emotion about anything really. I'm not saying that anything is wrong with that. The father seems more involved with building his business than with anything else. He comes up with wacky ideas and then becomes stressed that they aren't working or that it is too much work (just like in the episode where Jacob is injure, Matt did not seem to be too happy with the business at the time).

All families are different and deal with things differently. I just found it a bit strange the way the parents acted at the hospital. Dad nonchalantly flipped through a magazine and mom took care of admission paperwork. Neither seemed overly concerned with seeing their son. Of course maybe they just didn't show that on camera.

April 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
All I said was that I thought it was a bit strange that they didn't seem to show much emotion. It's not like I said they were horrible people because they weren't bawling and hysterical.

IMO the family doesn't seem to show much emotion about anything really. I'm not saying that anything is wrong with that. The father seems more involved with building his business than with anything else. He comes up with wacky ideas and then becomes stressed that they aren't working or that it is too much work (just like in the episode where Jacob is injure, Matt did not seem to be too happy with the business at the time).

All families are different and deal with things differently. I just found it a bit strange the way the parents acted at the hospital. Dad nonchalantly flipped through a magazine and mom took care of admission paperwork. Neither seemed overly concerned with seeing their son. Of course maybe they just didn't show that on camera.[/b]
The impression from your last post, it seemed as though you were pointing it out as negative. I'm guessing they were told they couldn't be in with Jacob initially and Matt didn't opt to stay away from his son to read a magazine in the waiting room. I just went to the ER with my DD and the admission paperwork has to be completed no matter what's going on! That's just a fact. Zach has also had MANY surgeries, as well as Matt, so they seem to be old pros at the hospital stuff. Plus, Jacob was conscious and talking up until he was taken to the hospital. I got the impression that they just thought his head was cut badly because Amy said later they were surprised to find out a piece of his skull had been knocked loose.

And Matt was expressing disappointment at the business BEFORE he got word about Jacob and Mike being hurt. Then, he rushed out on his mule on the phone and he sounded more hysterical than I've ever heard him sound before. I love the Roloff's and I will go to bat for them anyday! If you couldn't already tell.
April 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Morwen's Avatar Regular
Quote:

I don't like the fact that the husband does things without telling his wife like the episode where he buys the car while his wife was away. I'd be angry with my DH if he went out and bought a car without talking to me first.[/b]
Wow really???

I said to my fiance that I hope that I am as calm, and logical as they were if ever *god forbid* I find myself in a sitution where my son is hurt badly... I really give them props for being so relaxed about the situation. It helped everyone else (especially their other children) find comfort in their strength..

IMO anyways.

~
April 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Quote:

Wow really???

I said to my fiance that I hope that I am as calm, and logical as they were if ever *god forbid* I find myself in a sitution where my son is hurt badly... I really give them props for being so relaxed about the situation. It helped everyone else (especially their other children) find comfort in their strength..

IMO anyways.

~
[/b]
ITA! When you're dealing with an injured kid, it's better to keep your cool so you don't panic the child even more. That's just common sense. I love the Roloff's, and while they may have their moments of bickering, I think they're a great example of parenting with values I'm really mad that I missed tonight's episode!
April 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Erin&#39;s First's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love this show! It's so addicting.
April 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
bellebutton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually love watching the show, In a way it makes me feel kind of good to know that there are other families out there that have a messy house too!! lol
I dont know maybe I am just addicted to reality shows, but this is one of my fav's.

April 26th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I actually love watching the show, In a way it makes me feel kind of good to know that there are other families out there that have a messy house too!! lol
I dont know maybe I am just addicted to reality shows, but this is one of my fav's.[/b]

They do have a messy house!! It cracks me up.
April 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
I love this show!

I don't think they are amazing parents, or an amazing family. To be that for me is a family that I would strive to be. I hope to be even better parents then they are etc. But I do think they are very realistic etc.

I just don't like the father and mother's relationship. Although it might work for them etc.. I am alot closer and supportive of my husband, we are more of a team. Atleat I hope so! I wouldn't want to bicker or put each other down nearly as much as they do especially infront of their kids. Not that I don't think they are good parents, or anything like that!! I just don't see them as being that awsome or amazing, as I wouldn't strive to have a relationship as they do.

But I do like the show

April 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
bellebutton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldnt say that they are amazing, per say........I would say that they are little people who have their own reality show. Im pretty sure if I had a camera crew following me around, my family would be worshiped!! OHH hey Im just kidding. We are boring as a family LOL. I think that its just an eye opener that EVERY family is different. No matter what the circumstances. Never the less a great show.

May 4th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Do you guys think they are more linient (sp) with the things Zach does because he's also a little person? I remember when the show 1st came out and the boys were playing around and he took offense because no on ewas really playing w/ him and he thought it had to do a lot with his height. And i've noticed that he tends to feel left out a lot. Anyways i agree that they're not superparents or anything but it is fun to watch

May 4th, 2007, 06:49 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
I really like Little People, Big World. I watch the new episodes each week.

I don't want to criticize the show because no family or individual is perfect. I'm sure if cameras were in all of our lives and shown to the world they would always catch a mistake we make. No one is perfect. The important thing is their family loves each other and tries to make things work.

Do you really think if camera were in your house you would be the Brady Bunch? Every parent makes mistakes and not every kid listens. We actually don't really know their way of life because it's a television show and there is a lot of editing involved.

They make their family work regardless of the mistakes made.

</div>
May 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM
We love the Roloff's here.
May 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I like the daughter the best. Zach kind of annoys me sometimes but I feel bad for him because his twin brother is doing a lot of stuff that he's left out in. Like the normal sized brother has a girlfriend, and Zach doesn't...
I also think the whole Trebuchet thing was retarded. Trebuchets were used in WAR, why would you ever build one on a farm with little kids running around! And to even let an 8 year old boy CLOSE to that thing was very irresponsible.
I don't agree with the part about them being too calm when Jacob was in the hospital. I think they were very upset, and some people just show it differently. I think they were also kind of in shock too.
May 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
imcloudnine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the show, but I have to admit that it botheres me that Zach kind of get's rewarded for messing up. For example, when he damaged the bumper of his mom's van, they fixed it for him free of charge, installed a stereo system and put new wheels on it! And they said they weren't mad because he learned his lesson. I guess maybe I'm from the point of view that if you wreck, you help fix it. Of course, there is no way to know the whole story on this, because who knows how much of the story was actually aired. It just seems like they treat Zach special, from what I've seen, because he's a little person.

May 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I love the show, but I have to admit that it botheres me that Zach kind of get's rewarded for messing up. For example, when he damaged the bumper of his mom's van, they fixed it for him free of charge, installed a stereo system and put new wheels on it! And they said they weren't mad because he learned his lesson. I guess maybe I'm from the point of view that if you wreck, you help fix it. Of course, there is no way to know the whole story on this, because who knows how much of the story was actually aired. It just seems like they treat Zach special, from what I've seen, because he's a little person.[/b]
See, I think if they favor anyone, it's Jeremy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search