Motherly Instinct

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you believe in "motherly instinct" or "mother's intuition" when it comes to knowing the sex when you're pregnant?

I don't. I use to think it was legit, but now I think it's all misinterpretated. I have a girl and just found out we're having a boy. I had a feeling it was a boy, but I don't give credit to motherly intution. I think I would have been happy with either a boy or a girl, but was secretly hoping for a boy since I had a girl, so that's why I thought I was having a boy. And I think if you have a bunch of girls and you have a feeling it's another girl, then it's more an underlying fear (or hope, depending on what you want) of having another girl. But, I don't have strong beliefs in this one way or another. I was just thinking about it the other night and decided that I didn't believe in it. But I think it would be interesting to hear from someone who was thought they were having a boy, found out they were having a boy via u/s and then gave birth to a girl. Or to hear from someone who's thought they were having a boy and found out via u/s that it was a girl and thought that it was wrong the whole time because they really thought it was a boy, and then popped out a boy in the end anyway.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

April 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Nope, I was wrong wrong wrong! Good thing we picked out a gender-neutral theme
April 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Both times I was right. With Anthony I just knew he was a boy. And with Anastasia I just knew she was a girl.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I knew Macey was a girl, but I think it was more that I WANTED to have a girl. With the second, I knew it was a girl and then I found out I was having a son. I don't think there is intuition about the gender. When it comes right down to it, it is a guess, and the odds of being right or wrong are 50/50, so those are pretty great odds that you can guess correctly.

April 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
donomama
Quote:
When it comes right down to it, it is a guess, and the odds of being right or wrong are 50/50, so those are pretty great odds that you can guess correctly.[/b]

This is exactly what I was going to say. Those really are great odds. I was sure I was going to have a boy first - I had a girl. The second time, I thought it was another girl - it was a boy. I don't think I'll ever be a gambler.
April 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was about 5 weeks pregnant and I got this overwhelming feeling that the baby was a girl and I was right!! During my SIL's c-section, the anesthesiologist told her that, in his experience, mom's are usually right with their guesse.
April 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was wrong. I had a strong feeling deep down that J was a girl but that was because the pregnancy was so different.

My SIL just gave birth to her first child this afternoon I was convinced it was a boy,I just KNEW it,I called him a he and just knew I was right. I even convinced everyone else it was a boy. They named him JESSICA ROSE...... :/ A little girl???? how did I get it so wrong? LOL now I have to get used to calling baby a she.
April 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
So far, when it comes to guessing baby's gender, my DH has a better track record than I do.

It is one of those subjective things, but I think if you know, then you just KNOW... it isn't a "guess".

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM
ktbabe's Avatar Veteran
I was right with 3 of mine, wrong with #3. I was convinced she was a HE, i even bought some blue suits. But nope she was born 100% girl.

This time, i have felt its a boy all the way through, even have boy dreams. Something is just inside me screaming ITS A BOY.....but i had a u/s at 16 weeks and they said 70% girl (will get it confirmed next week)
Taryn, 6
Reagan, 4
Evie-Jo, 2.5

..and 4 angels in heaven

TTC#6
April 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
Ha! If it's true... I'm not much of a mother! I swore up and down that we were having a little baby girl! But he was very much a boy!

April 29th, 2007, 06:17 AM
The only thing I can think of and say "MAYBE", is when I was pregnant with Sam, I kept having dreams that I was having twins. I would joke about it, but it was ALL the time! Then I went in for an U/S and found out, guess what......TWINS!!! I was in shock! Though, I did lose Sam's twin brother. But that was my touch with maternal pregnancy phsychic abilities.

April 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry about Sam's twin Stacey.[/b]
Thank you. It hurts my heart everytime I see your siggie and read your story, I can't even imagine. (((HUGS)))

May 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been wrong once and correct once, so no, I don't really place any faith in motherly instinct.

Nor do I place any credence in those "gender prediction" websites, but that's another topic in itself.

May 11th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
This is exactly what I was going to say. Those really are great odds. I was sure I was going to have a boy first - I had a girl. The second time, I thought it was another girl - it was a boy. I don't think I'll ever be a gambler.[/b]
My situation exactly. Plus, I thought this one was another boy, and it's a girl. So I've been wrong EVERY time!

May 11th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I know so many people that say "I knew it was a girl/boy", but seriously, you have a 50/50 chance of being right. Hell, if I could get those kinds of odds in Vegas I would be a professional gambler. I believe in mother's intuition, but I don't think it extends to gender indentification in the womb.

May 31st, 2007, 04:58 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I knew both times that I was having a boy,althought the 2nd time I was in denial b/c I was scared to have a boy after what happened with Sebastian.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
May 31st, 2007, 06:43 AM
ahixon
Okay I think there is a little something to this. My first son I didn't have a clue, the second one I knew was going to be a boy, I was convinced, I really wanted a girl because we alway's said we were only going to have two kids, and I was right he was a boy. The third one I thought was a girl, I would find myself calling the baby she, my best friend was also sure it was a girl, along with my husband. I would try to convince myself all of the time that I was wrong that it had to be a boy, everyone around me was finding out they were having boy's, but I was right Abbygayle is the only girl around here her age, and there are like 15 boy's, that should be fun in about 15 years......not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search