Money wasted?

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Money wasted?
Yes 18 51.43%
No 15 42.86%
other 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Ms.Michelle
Ok. Here's the deal.. I'm cheap and practical. Period. I hear and see what people buy for their babies and can't help but think they are just being <strike>preyed</strike> marketed upon.

So anyway, I wanted to ask about cribs and the bedding, specifically the "bumper" bedding. (The bedding around the inside of the crib.) I think it's a waste of money and it's a choking hazard but because I'm a first time mom, I have doubts. Maybe I should be getting this? What are your thoughts?
May 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I said yes... I know a lot of people prefer them, but i too read that they are just a suffocation hazard, and increase the risk of SIDS, and the baby climbing out of the crib when they're older. So i never got one... especially since i was broke!

Anyways, Caeden is nearly one now, and i've never regretted not having one... So that's just been my experience.
May 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM
chloe82
I never bought them for my first child, and didn't plan on getting them EVER since I heard they increase the risk of SIDS and didn't see a need for them anyways (those bedding sets are way overpriced IMO)....
but anyways, my dd started getting her legs jammed in the rails about 3 months ago (when she was around 8 mos old) and screaming blue murder....she would seriously get her leg stuck in the rail up high on her thigh and it would leave a red mark and it was really hard to get her leg out....she started doing this almost once a day, and it was awful! I felt so bad for her, so finally I went out and bought a bumper pad for the crib, not part of a set, just the bumper pads, and put them on. They have been a lifesaver.
I definitely don't think they're a necessity for parents, esp since they're really not even recommended, and I wouldn't put them on my kids' cribs unless they started doing what my dd did. Otherwise I really don't see the point. Honestly, there are really very few necessities when you have a baby.
May 22nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not call a bumper a necessity, but it's a comfort that my daughter loves. Since we have no pillows or blankets in the crib, she snuggles up to the bumper. Ever since she was around 6 mos. old, she jams her head in the corner of the crib, using the bumpers as 'pillows.'

I had bumpers in the crib from day one. I know there's all the research about SIDS, but honestly until they start moving, how would they ever get their face up to the bumper? (cuz I would think every parent lays their child down in the middle of the crib). And then once they're moving and rolling over, the chance of SIDS drops significantly.

So I chose to use the bumpers from the beginning just because I thought they seemed more cuddly and made her crib more comfy for her.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
May 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Not necessary. we only used ours on Anthony for about 3 months. And then we had to take it off. Complete waste of money.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never owned one. Never plan to.

May 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I voted it is a waste. Of course, I got rid of the crib when #3 was a baby.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

May 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
donomama
I have to say I love mine. My son has pacifiers, and when the bumper isn't on, he is constantly knocking the pacifier out of the crib. Then, he gets upset and I have to go in a million times a night to pick it up off the floor for him.
May 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
chlodoll
bought them but never used them. I have never used anything in the crib set except the comforter. The bumpers made me to nervous. They say the first 6 months are the highest for SIDS then the bumpers say to take them out around 6 months? I dont see the point. I know they make some sort of breathable mess bumpers though.
May 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Other... major suffocation risk.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

May 23rd, 2007, 06:27 AM
tevinsangel
Waste of money! I had them and had to take them off right away because somehow as a newborn I would find DS squished up against it. Too afraid of him suffocating. The purpose of the bumper years ago was when the slats of the crib were spaced too far apart.
May 23rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought they were a waste of money until DD started really moving around in there. I never put them on the crib until she was maybe 7 months or so. Her legs would stick out and then she'd twist herself around and start SCREAMING when they got stuck. Also, she banged her head a couple of times on the slats. I went from being totally against bumpers to considering them almost a necessity. I'm considering taking them out in the next month or two because I figure she has more control over herself now, but for a few months, I was so glad I had them.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Super Mommy
I put waste of money since they are a suffocation risk for newborns. However, I did not know that until I had already bought a set for my first child so I do have a bumper that has never been used.
May 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I would not call a bumper a necessity, but it's a comfort that my daughter loves. Since we have no pillows or blankets in the crib, she snuggles up to the bumper. Ever since she was around 6 mos. old, she jams her head in the corner of the crib, using the bumpers as 'pillows.'

I had bumpers in the crib from day one. I know there's all the research about SIDS, but honestly until they start moving, how would they ever get their face up to the bumper? (cuz I would think every parent lays their child down in the middle of the crib). And then once they're moving and rolling over, the chance of SIDS drops significantly.

So I chose to use the bumpers from the beginning just because I thought they seemed more cuddly and made her crib more comfy for her.[/b]
Just want to let you know that suffocation and SIDS are two different things. The risk of suffocation comes from the baby getting their face in the bumper. But from what i've read, they speculate the risk of SIDS goes up, not because of the baby smothering their face in the bumper, but because the bumper may block the normal flow of air in the crib. That's just what i've read though...
May 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
For us it wasn't a waste of money. Ryleigh tends to sleep with her against the bumper and if it weren't there she'd be bonking her head all night. I know this b/c when we cosleep (which is rare these days) she scooches all the way to the top of the bed and then whacks her head on the wall numerous times DD also didn't sleep in her crib until she was 6 months so the risk of SIDS was much lower and I felt okay with the bumper being in there. Thankfully she hasn't tried to use it as a launch pad yet
May 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know. We have one and it's up but it didn't even fit the crib we got and modifications had to be made. I think you could go either way really. I don't truly believe they are always a suffocation risk for a newborn if the newborn is a sleep positioner (but then you wouldn't really need a bumper anyways). I think it's more of a suffocation risk as the child gets older, 3 or 4 month olds can scoot and I find mine next to her bumper all of the time but never in a dangerous way. My DD scooted out of her positioner last month with her legs. Maybe you shouldn't buy one and just watch how active your baby is and if she is an active baby who is likely to get a body part caught in the bars, then you could spring for one of those mesh, breathable ones.
May 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I like them because Aden can roll over onto her tummy now and kind of scootch around a little, and she gets her little head pressed up against the crib.

I didn't buy them separately, the bumpers came in our bedding set. And MIL payed for it lol!
May 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Super Mommy
I use one and am thankful for it! When it wasn't there she was always bumping her head or getting her hands and feet stuck in the slats. We bought the "breathable baby" its mesh and collapsable so if she tries to stand on it, it will just collapse. I am happy with it as it keeps her pacifer in with her and is very thin and light! It is also easy to change her sheets with it on, I am very happy with it! I would suggest it to anyone!

Thanks Springbokkie for the gorgeous siggy!

May 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Never used 'em. Of course, Jules co-slept with us until she was 15 or 16 months old lol She sleeps in a normal crib now, but we'll be putting her in a toddler bed very soon (she's 20 months), so I don't even see the point of dragging them out of the closet!
May 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
I have to say I love mine. My son has pacifiers, and when the bumper isn't on, he is constantly knocking the pacifier out of the crib. Then, he gets upset and I have to go in a million times a night to pick it up off the floor for him.[/b]
I dont like bumpers, but the only one of my kids who used a crib on a regular basis was my first. I have a crib for naps and to aleviate this problem (dropped pacies and toys), I took some tulle, and wrapped it around the outside of the bottom half of the crib. It stops the pacifiers, and it breathable, and comes in many colors. Just my 2 cents.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search