Dream Interpretation- legitimate?

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I don't know if this would turn out to be a real debate or not, so I thought I'd put it here in "fluffy stuff".

Is dream interpretation legitimate; I mean, is there actual scientific research behind it? I've done some searching online but most of what comes up seems pretty hoaky.

The reason I ask is because I've had a recurring dream for several years now about my teeth. It never happens the same way (so it isn't the same dream I have over and over) but either they break, fall out, or I pull them out. Usually the dream is just strange but sometimes (like last night's) they can be quite disturbing. I would guess that I have a dream like this once a month, more or less. I thought maybe I occasionally grind my teeth in my sleep, but DH doesn't ever hear me do this, and the dentist said it doesn't look like I do. (I guess they can tell?)

So, what do you think about dream interpretation in general, and my dream in particular?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I hope not. I have the same dream with teeth. My teeth will crack or fall out and I'll be rushing around trying to find a dentist at the last second. I get mine about once a week. Everyone tells me it's a bad omen... so I hope they don't really mean anything!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I don't believe in dream interpretation, it's just your (general) mind running without any other thoughts keeping it in check.
June 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
*Aspen*
I believe in dream interpretation 100%. I am not good at interpreting dreams, but I know someone who is. I'll get back to you.
June 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Ditto to Aspen.
June 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxiety about your appearance and how others perceive you.[/b]
Quote:
Another rationalization for these falling teeth dream may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some specific situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxiety.[/b]
Quote:
Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew and gnaw. In this regard, teeth represent power. And the loss of teeth in your dream may be from a sense of powerlessness. Are you lacking power in some current situation? Perhaps you are having difficulties expressing yourself or getting your point across[/b]
Quote:
In the latest research, it has been shown that women in menopause have frequent dreams about teeth. This may be related to getting older and/or feeling unattractive and less feminine.[/b]
Quote:
A scriptural interpretation for bad or falling teeth indicate that you are putting your faith, trust, and beliefs in what man thinks rather than in the word of God. The bible says that God speaks once, yea twice in a dream or a vision in order to hide pride from us, to keep us back from the pit, to open our ears (spiritually) and to instruct and correct us.[/b]
http://www.dreammoods.com/cgibin/teethdrea...arch=teethintro

My friend has yet to get back to me, this is all from the above website.
June 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I believe that dreams can be interpreted but most of the time it's something that you've thought of or seen earlier that day but didn't think too much about it. I have had dreams about losing my teeth but I'm self-concious about my teeth and have fears of them falling out (I come from a family history of weak enamel). Maybe the same situation with you?[/b]
This is true, our dreams are a mixture of many different things. Our problems that we've been dealing with throughout the day....if you are thinking of pizza right before you fall asleep, don't be surprised to dream about pizza. But dreams are also our outlet to relieve stress and unconsciously work out our internal problems that we won't let surface in our waking state.
June 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I don't have any anxiety or self-consciousness about my teeth or my appearance in general. Not that I'm aware of, at least. Menopause definitely does not apply, lol! I've had dreams like this off and on for so long that I no longer remember when they began or what might have "triggered" them, if anything. Thank you, Aspen, for that link. That is an interesting website. I will be curious to see what your friend thinks.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
*Aspen*
Friend hasn't gotten back to me.

The only thing that *I* can think of personally is that it's about the religious aspect. Here in the debates a lot your religion plays a big role in your opinions and people question that. So maybe you aren't feeling like you are being heard lately or understood?
June 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Quote:

The only thing that *I* can think of personally is that it's about the religious aspect. Here in the debates a lot your religion plays a big role in your opinions and people question that. So maybe you aren't feeling like you are being heard lately or understood?[/b]
But this isn't a dream I've had only lately. It has been at least a few years... I'm pretty sure since before I got preggers with my 3yo.

Or perhaps it is a frustration/anxiety dream that I return to because of different experiences over those years... I'm not sure.

June 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing that *I* can think of personally is that it's about the religious aspect. Here in the debates a lot your religion plays a big role in your opinions and people question that. So maybe you aren't feeling like you are being heard lately or understood?[/b]
But this isn't a dream I've had only lately. It has been at least a few years... I'm pretty sure since before I got preggers with my 3yo.

Or perhaps it is a frustration/anxiety dream that I return to because of different experiences over those years... I'm not sure.
[/b]
It can have a different meaning each time you dream it. Depends on what is going on at that time in your life.
June 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ah... See, I was assuming same basic dream would have the same meaning.

June 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
*Aspen*
Nope, it can mean many different things

*puts dream interpretation on list of things to learn* LOL!!
June 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I believe that dreams can be interpreted but most of the time it's something that you've thought of or seen earlier that day but didn't think too much about it. I have had dreams about losing my teeth but I'm self-concious about my teeth and have fears of them falling out (I come from a family history of weak enamel). Maybe the same situation with you?[/b]
This is true, our dreams are a mixture of many different things. Our problems that we've been dealing with throughout the day....if you are thinking of pizza right before you fall asleep, don't be surprised to dream about pizza. But dreams are also our outlet to relieve stress and unconsciously work out our internal problems that we won't let surface in our waking state.
[/b]
I believe this too. I have psychic dreams and I know the difference between just a regular dream and one that forsees the future. I've actually had a few dreams about women on here and all have proved to come true!
[/b]
neato! lol
June 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I absolutely do not believe in the type of dream interpretation that says "If you dream about horses, it means someone is going to die" or things like that.

I do believe that some dreams have meaning, in that our subconscious is playing out our hopes, fears, and anxieties and using dreams to process those feelings. For instance, when my older brother went away to West Point, he was moving almost 1000 miles away for the first time and we'd have very little contact with him. The night we dropped him off, I had a dream that he was tied onto the bed of a truck and was being driven away while my family and I could not reach him. When I woke up, I almost had to roll my eyes it was so obvious.

Recurring dreams, especially, tend to have meaning that relates to our waking lives. It usually means something that is unresolved for you, and I have used recurring dreams and nightmares as part of therapy. They are usually great metaphors.

June 9th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I used to have that dream all of the time, I was told it was because I was telling lies.

I wasn't!! I swear!!

June 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachelC
Woah, I have teeth dreams a lot too. In fact, the other night I woke up at 2:00 in the morning after dreaming I fell and knocked half my teeth out. I don't like them one bit, they scare the crap outta me for some reason.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search