Pocket Pooches

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2007, 08:16 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
What do you think of little dogs being toted around like accessories or little dolls (think Paris Hilton and her little chihuahuas).
Yesterday I saw a woman walking outside the shops and she had a little dog in her arms, it had a bow in it's hair and painted nails and some kind of dressy collar/jacket type-thing. At first I was scornful at the ridiculousness, then my 2nd thought was poor dog, but then on further thought, I'm not sure. I mean that dog is probably pampered, maybe she loves it! Not my cup of tea though. I do wonder what will happen when the novelty wears off, will the dog lose it's place in the handbag? Thoughts?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM
donomama
I would have said that I am indifferent to it until I had an experience with it last week. I took my kids to the store, and when we were in line to pay, there was a little chihuahua in a bag in front of us in line. My kids love dogs, so of course they go crazy with excitement everytime they see one. They didn't try to touch it or anything, but they were standing close to it (we WERE in a line) and the dog started growling and snapping at my kids! The lady turns around and says "keep your kids away from my dog, he's mean." What the heck!?!?! If you have a mean little dog, keep it away from people!!! I was so annoyed, but when the lady went to check out, she was totally yelling at the checker for every little thing, so I wonder where the dog gets it.

On the other hand....

The little dog I grew up with always went with us in the car. She was a 4 pound maltese toy poodle mix. We didn't take her into stores with us though. We lived in Oregon, so it was not often too hot to leave her in the car. She LOVED it! She was a nice dog though. I don't think mean dogs should be in public.
June 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
*Aspen*
I personally don't like it. Animals are not accessories.
June 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I think there are worse things humans can do to dogs.
June 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As long as the animal is well cared for, well behaved, and preferably loved as well, I don't see the problem.

For some, the dog really is a part of the family. So, they like to take the dog out places with them. As long as the dog isn't crapping everywhere or barking, who cares?

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>
June 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
As long as the animal is well cared for, well behaved, and preferably loved as well, I don't see the problem.

For some, the dog really is a part of the family. So, they like to take the dog out places with them. As long as the dog isn't crapping everywhere or barking, who cares?[/b]
I care when people don't secure their dog in their vehicle. I quote myself from some months ago

Quote:
I just got home - as I turned onto my street I was very nearly clipped by the person turning off my street WITH THEIR DOG IN THEIR LAP! I am sure that is why they suddenly swerved in their turn and nearly hit me! What is with people?! That is the 3rd time I have seen people doing that today - 1 was getting a ticket (I hope because of it). It is so stupid and unsafe, bad driving AND bad pet ownership.
1 - the pet is not safe if you have an accident, they could be hurt
2 - the pet could become a projectile, hurting others
3 - it is a major distraction and a very unsafe and irresponsible way to drive
PLEASE, if you do this or know someone who does, please do not defend the practice here, I don't want to know who the stupid people are, I just want them to think about it a minute and STOP!
Me, my kids, other people on the road, and your pets will thank you for it.
Grrrr [/b]
I don't care if people want to dress their dogs up as babies. I do think they should also put them in car seats IMO.
I also think they need to abide by store rules. I worked at a coffee shop years ago. I am animal friendly, and kept a bowl of water just outside the door of the shop for pets to get a drink while their owners ordered their coffee, and we had tables outside where the dogs were welcome, there was a post for leashes conveniently right beside the door and the water bowl. There was a sign on the door saying No Animals. This was a health board thing to do with the license according to my manager. Still some peope seemed to think that because their dog was small, it was exempt from the No Animals rule. When pointing out the rule to them and asking them to please take their dog outside, i heard many excuses like "She'll run away" "Oh no, this my baby" and my favorite "But he's in his carrier" (baby carrier-type thing for dogs) "Is the carrier in the store?" "Yes...." "Then the dog is in the store, sorry." I always felt like a chump pointing it that rule, I always wanted to just let the dogs in, but you never know when there might be a health board person coming in you know? Regardless of my personal feelings, I always thought it strange that the owners of large dogs complied and left their dogs outside but the little dog owners didn't, and would even get offended when expected to!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 28th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
I have a Pomeranian, but he's far from "pocket" material He's 16lbs and won't fit in any of those fancy bags.

I've never tried to take my dog inside a store, short of PetsMart. I too get very annoyed when I see someone with a tiny chihuahua in the MALL or in TARGET. Just because it's small doesn't make it a child, it's still a dog, and they should follow the rules.
June 29th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
What do you think of little dogs being toted around like accessories or little dolls (think Paris Hilton and her little chihuahuas).
Yesterday I saw a woman walking outside the shops and she had a little dog in her arms, it had a bow in it's hair and painted nails and some kind of dressy collar/jacket type-thing. At first I was scornful at the ridiculousness, then my 2nd thought was poor dog, but then on further thought, I'm not sure. I mean that dog is probably pampered, maybe she loves it! Not my cup of tea though. I do wonder what will happen when the novelty wears off, will the dog lose it's place in the handbag? Thoughts?[/b]
No matter what, it is a dog and needs some type of parenting/training.. Tiffany's example of the mean dog is exactly why all dogs need boundaries/training regardless of size. (If that lady owned a large dog, likely someone would get attacked.) OK.. I know we all have different parenting habits.. So while I find Paris Hilton completely revolting, if she treats her dog well, fine. I know I wouldn't do that (paint toe nails, etc.) but it's just a different parenting habit, right? No harm done ~ as long as it's trained. I see many of these types of dogs being held. According to many of the training resources I've read, if a dog feels trapped and threatened, it will snap. That's why the worst thing I see owners do is pick up their dog when the owner feels threatened. It reenforces the dog to be reactive to that situation. Another misconception people have of small dogs is that they are "easier" than big dogs. Well, most smaller breeds are high energy for a reason. Whether it's to hunt rats or rabbits, many small dogs were bred for a reason other than to be Paris Hilton's lap dog. When you combine all this thinking, most people get a dog like this for the wrong reasons and the novelty does wear off. I feel bad these dogs are bred for these reasons.
June 29th, 2007, 12:36 PM
CJMOM209
I think it's stupid and most people who do this aren't doing it because they really love their dog, they are doing it for attention.
June 29th, 2007, 12:48 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I think it's stupid and most people who do this aren't doing it because they really love their dog, they are doing it for attention.[/b]
I think this too.
June 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM
TanyaD
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's stupid and most people who do this aren't doing it because they really love their dog, they are doing it for attention.[/b]
I think this too.
[/b]

Definitely not! My dd(8) wanted a small dog so bad because we travel a lot. When she first mentioned a chihuahua I was dead set against it. I didn't want to be viewed & judged as a Paris Hilton wanna be because of the type of dog we bought. I also have seen so many ill behaved chihuahuas I didn't think they were worth the risk. However, after months of talking about it...I found a wonderful breeder & we bought our lil Roxy(chihuahua). We drove 14 hours round trip to get her from a wonderful breeder hoping that her temperment & such would be what it should be & I tell you what....I LOVE that dog so much! She loves people & kids...has never meet a stranger ...not like most chi's at all. We take her everywhere because she is 2.9 lbs & we can. She has became apart of my family & I really hate the comments we get about her being a "P.H." dog. Saying someone gets a small dog for attention is the same thing as saying people get mastiffs to make them feel tough...it's all about the type of dog you like.
June 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM
CJMOM209
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think this too.
[/b]

Definitely not! My dd(8) wanted a small dog so bad because we travel a lot. When she first mentioned a chihuahua I was dead set against it. I didn't want to be viewed & judged as a Paris Hilton wanna be because of the type of dog we bought. I also have seen so many ill behaved chihuahuas I didn't think they were worth the risk. However, after months of talking about it...I found a wonderful breeder & we bought our lil Roxy(chihuahua). We drove 14 hours round trip to get her from a wonderful breeder hoping that her temperment & such would be what it should be & I tell you what....I LOVE that dog so much! She loves people & kids...has never meet a stranger ...not like most chi's at all. We take her everywhere because she is 2.9 lbs & we can. She has became apart of my family & I really hate the comments we get about her being a "P.H." dog. Saying someone gets a small dog for attention is the same thing as saying people get mastiffs to make them feel tough...it's all about the type of dog you like.
[/b]

We didn't mean that they are getting a small dog for attention...rather carrying them around in a purse and painting their toe nails...do you really think the dog enjoys this? We take our dog everyone too, but not as an accessory, but as a part of our family...there is a difference.
June 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CJMOM209 @ Jun 29 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>I think it's stupid and most people who do this aren't doing it because they really love their dog, they are doing it for attention.[/b]
I think this too.
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

We didn't mean that they are getting a small dog for attention...rather carrying them around in a purse and painting their toe nails...do you really think the dog enjoys this? We take our dog everyone too, but not as an accessory, but as a part of our family...there is a difference.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly. No one said anything about small dogs, the issue at hand is dressing them up like little mini me's and fru fru crap.
July 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
What bothers me is the fact that these dogs NEVER walk anywhere. Dogs LOVE to walk, they enjoy walking. They do not enjoy being held and carried all the time. At that point they are more of an accessory than a part of the family.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 6th, 2007, 05:03 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a brarely 5 pounds chihuahua/maltese mix so I want to throw my $.02 in! He has a ton of clothes. He actually doesn't mind wearing them. I can tell you this because he will come running if I have a sweater out and wait patiently while I put it on him. On the same token, I see absolutely no reason in dressing him up in the summer time, or whatever. But during winter months when the temp. drops tot he 20's or so, he will wear a little jacket while I take him on a walk. A WALK that he WALKS. He is a DOG... he has four legs and they work perfectly fine. I too find it ridiculous when people think they need to be carried everywhere. I don't take him into stores (especially restaurants and coffee houses... I mean COME ON) b/c I know he is an animal. (Although I do take him to my mom's or DF's mom's so he can play with other dogs and be part of a canine pack, haha)

I don't put clothes on him for attention, and I don't consider him an accessory, I consider him part of the family. I chose a small dog b/c we currently live in an apartment and I know he can be okay with chasing down the hall after his ball and going on several long walks a day... and will deal with not having a fenced in yard for right now much better than a big dog.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search