Sunscreens

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2007, 09:15 AM
donomama
I'm a total sunscreen freak. Everyone in Dh's family over the age of 40 has had skin cancer and my kids look like Casper the Friendly Ghost. So I slather them with sunscreen everytime we go outside. I took a women's health class last weekend, and they were talking a lot about sunscreen and the dangerous stuff that is in some of them. They gave us this website, that reviews most sunscreens on the market and lets you know what's in them, and also rates them on their level of hazardous ingredients and also how well they protect you from the sun. I was scared when I read what some of the sunscreens have in them. I'm not going to go into detail about which are bad, and which are good, but I'm going to post the site so you guys can see for yourself (if you're interested).

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/s...ens/summary.php
July 1st, 2007, 09:39 AM
chlodoll
Wow thanks for the link! The one I use on DS got a 7 for health hazard! I bought it at a crunchy enviromental type store aswell. I wouldnt think they would want to carry products like that then!
July 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
mommyKathyX3
Thanks for the link. that is interesting, espeially since we are going to the beach in August and was looking for what to take.
July 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG, Water babies (marketed for children & babies) has a 7/8 health risk! Scary!!!

July 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
donomama
Quote:
OMG, Water babies (marketed for children & babies) has a 7/8 health risk! Scary!!![/b]

I know!!! I'm actually kind of angry about it because I have been slathering it on my kids for years. Isn't that the one where it says it's "gentle as water?" It has ingredients that have been proven to cause cancer, reproductive and developmental toxicity and a slew of other problems! I know that everything causes cancer these days, but I'm mad as heck about the reproductive and developmental problems!
July 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
chlodoll
It seems like kids ones are the worse! Maybe because of the water resistant aspect. I havent even heard of the ones they rate the best. It seems like coppertone didnt do to bad though for a mainstream brand.
July 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Interesting! I think I'm going to switch to the Vanicream one after reading that, we use Vanicream cream anyway for her daily care. We have been using Blue Lizard for babies/sensitive skin, it's the only sunscreen I've found that doesn't dry out Julia's already-dry skin.
July 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
donomama
Quote:
Interesting! I think I'm going to switch to the Vanicream one after reading that, we use Vanicream cream anyway for her daily care. We have been using Blue Lizard for babies/sensitive skin, it's the only sunscreen I've found that doesn't dry out Julia's already-dry skin.[/b]

Courtney - where do you get that brand? Most of the ones on the recommended list, I have never seen or heard of!
July 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
We got it in Long Beach Island last year, at some little beach shop lol I've seen it at the CVS around here, though. I'm pretty sure you can order it online as well.
July 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Ms.Michelle
I heard about this.. Dh and I have it out against sunscreens because of the damage they do to the water and ecosystems.. There are some ecosystem friendly sunscreens out there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search