PLEASE someone with experience with 3/4 year olds!

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Veteran
I just took on the care of a 3 yr and 4 yr old for the next month. I am already watching my neighbors 1 yr old and my own 1 yr old. Today was the first day--it was HORRIBLE!! I told these kids no, and they obeyed at the time(some of the time) but 5 seconds later 'forgot' and did stuff again! IT drove me nuts! The babies couldn't get their naps cuz I couldn't get the other two to be quiet, let alone listen to me. They ran around my house roaming through random rooms against my command. They broke a toy. They did everything I said not to! And every time I said to stop or no--I got 'in a minute' or "I will when...".

Is this normal behavior for 3-4 year olds or do I have some challenging ones here? I don't know if I can handle this. I feel like the 1 yr olds are being cheated, because their day is now crazy and they dont' have fun anymore..
July 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The 3/4 age is the nightmare age. My mom swears up and down that she would rather have any other age child (even a teenager) rather than a 3/4 year old.

That said, the one you're watching sounds worse than mine has been *knock on wood*

I'd say that they're really testing the waters right now to see what they can and can't get away with. You'll have a rough go of it at first, but you need to make them very aware of what is unacceptable in your home, and follow thru with appropriate consequences. Be very very very consistent. After a week or so, they should be aware of the boundaries and comply. *hopefully*

July 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Quote:
Four words of advice: Stick to your threats! If you say 'no more' and they do it again, NAUGHTY CORNER!!! LOL[/b]
I agree!!It sounds pretty normal of a 3-4 year old...unfortunately. I agree with Jess that they are testing you right now....seeing what they can get away with. Be FIRM and call them on EVERYTHING right now. There are many days that my 3 yr old is in time out after time out after time out after time out!!Oh also.... make sure you make your guidelines very CLEAR. Things like "We don't go in this bedroom, it's not for kids" instead of waiting till they go in there (or where ever) and telling them not to. It'll take some repetition but they don't know the "rules" and have short term memories ....so make them clear and repeat them as necassary!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
July 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Veteran
OH my gosh.. Thanks guys for the info! It's insane! If I ahd 4--- 3-4 year olds or 4--- 1 year olds I think it would be a lot easier. These are just so different this way! The babies are so much slower and the older kids are running off way ahead of us against what I say. This is just driving me nuts.

She called this morning and said that the boy has a cold so she's staying home today- I am sooo overjoyed. I feel bad for him, but I don't have to watch them today! Praise the Lord~!
July 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM
~Faith~
I would definitely say the age of 3 is worse than the age of 2 but by 4 (in my experience with my own), they start getting better. I don't take back talking from my kids, so I don't really have a problem with it. And simple solution for the noise level, etc. Lock the other doors in your house and have them in one room (usually the living room) only. It keeps them in sight, it keeps toys confined to one area, they won't be in the babies nap area. I also make my 6 yr old have "quiet time" when my almost 2 yr old takes his nap. She is allowed to do craft/art projects, read books, watch a movie quietly or play the XBOX or Wii. If they are loud, then they lose their quiet time privileges and just have to sit there until they are quiet. Hope it gets better for you, Laura, I will be starting a babysitting job in August and I'll be dealing with the same issues probably. lol
July 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Ms.Michelle
YIKES! Why didn't you guys tell me this before I pregnant?
July 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
~Faith~
Quote:
YIKES! Why didn't you guys tell me this before I pregnant?[/b]
It was our evil plot to see what a beautiful baby you and Mr. Darcy would make!
July 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
donomama
Quote:
I would definitely say the age of 3 is worse than the age of 2 but by 4 (in my experience with my own), they start getting better. I don't take back talking from my kids, so I don't really have a problem with it. And simple solution for the noise level, etc. Lock the other doors in your house and have them in one room (usually the living room) only. It keeps them in sight, it keeps toys confined to one area, they won't be in the babies nap area. I also make my 6 yr old have "quiet time" when my almost 2 yr old takes his nap. She is allowed to do craft/art projects, read books, watch a movie quietly or play the XBOX or Wii. If they are loud, then they lose their quiet time privileges and just have to sit there until they are quiet. Hope it gets better for you, Laura, I will be starting a babysitting job in August and I'll be dealing with the same issues probably. lol[/b]

I respectfully disagree. Avery was an angel from 3-4, but she is a bit of a hellion right now. Example: Today, we went to CVS. While we were there, every time I would stop the cart (with Donovan in it) she would try to push it around. Every time, I would say "Avery, stop pushing the cart." She would stop. The next isle, same thing over again. Finally we get up to the checkout. Same thing - Her: push, Me: scold, Her: stop pushing. Finally, I turn around to count out my money to pay the cashier and I hear a huge CRASH. She had overturned the cart with Donovan in it. I have never been so close to killing her. I feel that 4 year olds are testing their limits constantly. If I let my guard down even for one minute, she walks all over me. But, I have to admit. 4 year olds are really fun because they say the FUNNIEST things. A little while ago, Avery said to me "Mommy, why do you wear black all the time? Black isn't a pretty color and I don't like black." I said, "Because it is slimming." Her: "What does slimming mean?" Me: "That means it makes mommy look skinny." Her, with an incredulous look on her face: "Uh, no it doesn't!" 4 year olds are also better at expressing their emotions, and it's nice to hear all the time that I'm the nicest prettiest, funniest mommy in the whole world and her best friend ever.
July 7th, 2007, 02:33 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
YIKES! Why didn't you guys tell me this before I pregnant?[/b]
It was our evil plot to see what a beautiful baby you and Mr. Darcy would make!
[/b]

\Ahhhh, Mr. Darcy. I can't help it, Michelle, I keep thinking of your husband as Colin Firth. Yummy!
July 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
~Faith~
Quote:
Quote:
I would definitely say the age of 3 is worse than the age of 2 but by 4 (in my experience with my own), they start getting better. I don't take back talking from my kids, so I don't really have a problem with it. And simple solution for the noise level, etc. Lock the other doors in your house and have them in one room (usually the living room) only. It keeps them in sight, it keeps toys confined to one area, they won't be in the babies nap area. I also make my 6 yr old have "quiet time" when my almost 2 yr old takes his nap. She is allowed to do craft/art projects, read books, watch a movie quietly or play the XBOX or Wii. If they are loud, then they lose their quiet time privileges and just have to sit there until they are quiet. Hope it gets better for you, Laura, I will be starting a babysitting job in August and I'll be dealing with the same issues probably. lol[/b]

I respectfully disagree. Avery was an angel from 3-4, but she is a bit of a hellion right now. Example: Today, we went to CVS. While we were there, every time I would stop the cart (with Donovan in it) she would try to push it around. Every time, I would say "Avery, stop pushing the cart." She would stop. The next isle, same thing over again. Finally we get up to the checkout. Same thing - Her: push, Me: scold, Her: stop pushing. Finally, I turn around to count out my money to pay the cashier and I hear a huge CRASH. She had overturned the cart with Donovan in it. I have never been so close to killing her. I feel that 4 year olds are testing their limits constantly. If I let my guard down even for one minute, she walks all over me. But, I have to admit. 4 year olds are really fun because they say the FUNNIEST things. A little while ago, Avery said to me "Mommy, why do you wear black all the time? Black isn't a pretty color and I don't like black." I said, "Because it is slimming." Her: "What does slimming mean?" Me: "That means it makes mommy look skinny." Her, with an incredulous look on her face: "Uh, no it doesn't!" 4 year olds are also better at expressing their emotions, and it's nice to hear all the time that I'm the nicest prettiest, funniest mommy in the whole world and her best friend ever.
[/b]
Oh, I agree whole-heartedly with ya, Tiff about the snotty attitude they get (Syd is 6 but acts like a 14 yr old) They also seem to get this devilish look in their eyes that says "I hear you, I know there will H$#@ to pay when I get home, but I don't care right now" I was talking more about the screaming tantrums in the middle of the restaurant that no matter what you do, you can't get them to stop and you have to leave (that happened to us a few weeks ago and I was so embarrassed, we will never go back lol).
July 7th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Colin Firth. Yummy![/b]
What!?!? Darcy is way better looking than Colin Firth!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search