I need your opinions on this letter:

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM
*Aspen*
I started a debate about Mental Illness due to another forum I go and their...uneducated views on mental illness. The forum I go to is not a debate forum, so I don't want to call ppl out on what they are saying, but I want to let them know that what they are saying is...well, wrong for lack of a better word. I tried to think of a way to portray information on mental illness without sounding like a B. I wanted your opinions on how this sounds:

I am not well educated on SBS (shaking baby syndrome) in accordance to the parents having a mental illness that causes them to do this. I’ve been trying to find information, but as of yet haven’t come up with a reputable site.
My speakings were generalized for all mental illnesses, not particularly for the OP. I hope that clears up some confusion.

Although if this act was carried out by a mother who is suffering from PPD, PPP, or PTSD then she is not at fault for her actions and deserves compassion as much as her infant. Here is a link that describes very easily all about different Postpartum Disorders: http://www.nmha.org/go/postpartum
I advise anyone who doesn’t believe in or thinks mothers are able to control themselves and be held accountable while having PPD/PPP/PTSD to read through the link (and PM me, read below)

If anyone would like real information regarding mental illnesses, feel free to actually look at the links I posted (here and above in previous post). It really is a mountain of gold when equating it to knowledge.

Unfounded opinions based on uneducated views, it only lends to the hysteria of mental illness.It's imperative for society as a whole to educate themselves on that which they don't understand instead of letting ones ignorant (=uneducated) opinions be the basis for their own thought process towards others and how they should treat those with a mental illness.

Feel free to PM me as I have some wonderful Mental Illness debating links that I participate in (mainly including PPD/PPP).

~~Blessings
July 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Ms.Michelle
Sounds great!

What exactly are you looking for when it comes to shaking baby info?
July 7th, 2007, 06:31 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Sounds great!

What exactly are you looking for when it comes to shaking baby info?[/b]
I'm trying to find out why parents/people do it. What their rationality is behind it...if it's more mothers who do it than others, and if it is mothers, I'm assuming it's because of PPP. When I try to find info on it I only bring up stuff that has to do with the backlash for a child living through it, but nothing of why the parents did it or if they have a mental illness.

Thanks
July 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Ms.Michelle
I don't think it's because of pychosis.. That's a whole different ball game.

Quote:
The biological father (43%), followed by the biological mother (26%), was most often identified as the responsible caregiver with the child at the time of the injury, even though the primary caregiver was usually the biological mother (67%), followed by "other" (35%: 18% babysitter, 17% unknown) and then the biological father (18%).

The perpetrator was identified in 240 cases (66%), with the biological father being the most common (50%), followed by the stepfather/male partner (20%) and then the biological mother (12%). Overall, the perpetrator was male in 72% of the cases; 15% of perpetrators had a previous charge or suspicion for maltreatment of a child in their care. Although the degree of certainty about the perpetrator was considered definite in 96 (40%) cases (where the perpetrator was seen to shake the child or admitted to the assault), this was not associated with the presenting complaint, injury, previous maltreatment or outcome. In almost two-thirds of cases (64%), there was an ongoing police investigation, 26% of the perpetrators had criminal charges laid and 7% were convicted for the assault.[/b]
Source

I found this interesting. A good majority of society doesn't teach men to be involved in child rearing.. Also men are not taught many coping skills other than using their fists... So I can't say I'm surprised at the results.

Quote:
Approximately 60% of shaken babies are male, and children of families who live at or below the poverty level are at an increased risk for SBS as well as any type of child abuse. And it's estimated that the perpetrators in 65% to 90% of cases are males - usually either the baby's father or the mother's boyfriend, often someone in his early 20s.[/b]
source

Both sources had the fathers aged in their early 20's and from poorer backgrounds. But there are always exceptions to the rule.

Quote:
Why do people shake babies?
This is not fully understood. It is related, in part, to the stress a caregiver can feel in looking after an infant. When exhausted or frustrated by a baby's crying, some people react violently and shake the child. Other situations known to trigger shaking are toileting and feeding difficulties. As with other forms of child abuse, shaking may be repeated and accompany other kinds of maltreatment.

Are some people more likely to shake babies?
Shaken Baby Syndrome occurs in all socio-economic groups and, probably, in all cultures. Canadian research has shown that the babies who are shaken are most often male and under six months of age. The research also identified biological fathers, stepfathers and male partners of biological mothers as more likely to shake an infant. Female babysitters and biological mothers are also known to shake babies.

Some risk factors commonly associated with child abuse, including Shaken Baby Syndrome, are social isolation, family violence, substance abuse, psychiatric conditions, an adult having been abused as a child/youth, poor parental attachment to a child, and inadequate knowledge of child development. Shaken Baby Syndrome also occurs in families with no apparent risk factors.[/b]
source

Quote:
More than 60% of the victims of Shaken Baby Syndrome are male.

Almost 80% of the perpetrators of Shaken Baby Syndrome are male[/b]
source I loved this source because it has a great pic chart too.

July 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM
*Aspen*
I don't have time to look through this now and concentrate, but I will look at this later. I just wanted to say thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search