Flying on United..

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never flown on united flights before....so if you have any info so I can save minutes calling the airline it'd be awesome!

When you check a car seat, do they count that towards your lugagge amount? Also, if I bring a stroller will that be counted towards a carry on or anything? I've heard airlines going both ways. Also any advice for traveling alone with an active one year old I'm so dreading this flight....
July 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM
donomama
We almost always fly United.

They'll let you board early with your daughter. Just go up when they call for preboarders. Take your stroller right up to the gate with you. They'll check it at the gate, and when you come off the plane, it'll be waiting for you. Did you buy a seat for your daughter, or is she a lap baby? If she has her own seat, definitely take her carseat on with you. If she's a lap baby, when you check your luggage, ask if they have any empty seats, and if so, they'll let you take her carseat on with you. They would much rather have a restrained child. Also, if you're travelling with your DH, call ahead and ask if they will put him in a isle seat and you in the window. The center seats are the last ones to be taken, so there is a good chance that the one in between you will be available unless the flight is full. It also helps to be at the rear of the airplane too, for 2 reasons. 1 - People usually try to sit as close to the front as possible, so there will probably be more room at the back, and 2 - it is noisier in the rear, so if she's fussy, people won't hear her as well, and the engines will put her to sleep. The downside of United is that their planes rarely have changing tables in the bathrooms, so you'll probably want to take along an extra blanket or changing pad to change her on. I have changed my kids in the flight attendant's galley before on the floor - it beats on my lap! Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!
July 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I've flown about 6 times with Julia and a carseat, on many different airlines, and none of them have counted her carseat as luggage. You get the 2 pieces of luggage + the carseat. The stroller, take with you to where you board the plane, and tell them you want to check it for the flight. They'll put it on the plane, and then when you land, just wait right outside of the airplane door, and they'll bring it out to you.

Advice? Hope she sleeps? lol DD usually falls asleep on planes, especially the long rides. And lots of noise-less toys lol I always make the mistake of packing the most annoying toy EVER, that quacks or woofs or beeps, and then everyone hates me by the end of the flight
July 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My aunt bought the ticket, so I have NO IDEA where the seat is [and they're on vacation with no cell phones until next week....fun!]. We normally fly American Airlines, and they don't do pre-boarding and when we asked if DH or I could board with the first group they always say "no unless your ticket is in this section" - URG. Not that I want to sit in re-circulating air longer then necessary....its just nice to have some extra less chaotic time to get settled. We're also traveling at nap time, not on purpose but hoping that she'll sleep. I'm flying alone with her [DH can't get off work]. She's a lap baby, I do plan to ask if they have any open seats. Thankfully, its a short flight. From NC to FL...projected time a bit over an hour. She's did great when we flew from NC to CA and had to change planes. But that was when she was 6 months old, and just learning to crawl. I think we'll be fine once we get on to the plane, its from the security [as far as DH can go] to getting onto the plane I'm most worried about. I always pack to much....LOL!
July 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM
donomama
If you have your flight information, you can call the airline and they'll tell you where your seat is. They can also change it at the same time, if you want.

I highly recommend preboarding. I always get so flustered when I'm flying alone with the kids and trying to haul on carseats, carryons and babies while people are piling up behind me. It's so much easier if you can take your time. Also, if you want, the gate agents will sometimes help you carry your stuff down to your seat. United has been the most baby friendly airline (tied with Southwest) in my experience, and we have flown a lot with kids.

As for security, if you have some sort of pouch, mei tai or sling with no metal on it, you may want to take it so you can just wear the baby when you go through security - it's a LOT easier!
July 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
They made me take DD out of the mei tai last time I flew with it. Now I just use the umbrella stroller - easier to pop her in and out of, and it folds up quicker than untying the mei tai lol
July 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
donomama
Quote:
They made me take DD out of the mei tai last time I flew with it. Now I just use the umbrella stroller - easier to pop her in and out of, and it folds up quicker than untying the mei tai lol[/b]

That's funny - I guess it just depends on who you get. I always have Donovan in the pouch sling and I have never been asked to take him out.

ETA: Or maybe you just look more "suspicious" than me!
July 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I keep forgetting about the carriers. I have a billion of em. I've got a pouch and buckle tai without metal [my ring sling-favorite has a metal ring ]. I feel like a wierdo b/c I'll have all this *STUFF* with me. I'm so used to just a backpack or purse. Ahhh the joys of having kids

ETA - when we went to CA, I didn't have to take Hailey out, but a friend with the same style carrier did [it was made by the same momma....just different fabric...lol]. Its good to hear that United is family friendly. I *dislike* airlines who are not!
July 12th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Quote:
They made me take DD out of the mei tai last time I flew with it. Now I just use the umbrella stroller - easier to pop her in and out of, and it folds up quicker than untying the mei tai lol[/b]

That's funny - I guess it just depends on who you get. I always have Donovan in the pouch sling and I have never been asked to take him out.

ETA: Or maybe you just look more "suspicious" than me!
[/b]
lol!! I guess so, because I remember them checking her diaper bag, when we were sitting in the boarding area, too. It was a "random" inspection...AFTER we got through security lol I guess b/c we had so many diapers? Or they thought I was a cocaine mule? I have no clue lol
July 12th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I called the airline to confirm Hailey was on the seat. I don't know if the guy was new or what.....

I asked if they counted a car seat as part of your carry on or luggage amounts.....he said can you hold on for just a moment....just another moment...just another moment [for about 3-5 minutes], then he said the car seat needs to be collapsible car seat if I use it onboard AND it counts towards the limit for carry. WTH is a collapsible car seat?!?! I just said "ok thank you" and hung up. I've never felt so stupid in my life.....they actually make a collapsible car seat, is that even safe?! Maybe he thought I ment stroller....I don't know. I have my list of things to pack I feel like such a loser, I've never been so worried about flying in my life!
July 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
LaceyMommy2B
you must have talked to a LOON! he must have meant the stroller lol.. yes those have to fold somewhat.. but do they make them that DONT? i have flown alaskan, american, AND united.. i ALWAYS check the carseat at boarding (or carry it with me), they just put it under the plane and have it for me when i get off. they do the same with the stroller..
DO NOT CHECK THE CAR SEAT WITH YOUR MAIN LUGGAGE. when you get to the desk, ask if they have extra seats, if they do they can rearrange you so that she can have her own seat next to you, i havent been on a single flight yet (tho i fly at night usually) that there wasnt an extra seat for Gracey, and i didnt pay a dime for it.

carseat and stroller do not count as carry on items cause they go under the plane.. even if you get a seat for her, it still shouldnt count, never has for me! infact, i usually put gracey in a carrier, then use her carseat to stuff all my bags in while walking down the aisle. i have a system of traveling alone with an infant now

i did have to take gracey out of her carrier during take off and landing, it was a safety issue.

they SHOULD let you preboard.. i cant believe that AA didnt, cause they have always let me!

oh, dont forget toys to keep her occupied and maybe some tylenol.. Gracey's ears always hurt her.. ALWAYS.. the few time that i forgot to give her tylenol, she screamed til she passed out. now i give her a tiny bit 15 min before boarding.

(BTW: i didnt read ALL of the above responses, so if im just repeating things, sorry)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search