WHOOOO HOOO!!!!!

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK so I post alot about all these stinking hoops I have to jump through to get my license in counseling (Kyle can totally testify to this). In Texas you have to pass this test before you can begin counseling .. so the order goes like this
1. Take 4 years worth of undergraduate education and rack up some student debt (thank god we paid cash and used a savings plan)
2. Take 3 more years worth of studying for a Masters, work full time for about a year for FREE doing counseling and rack up $50,000 in student debt (ok that one is for real
3. Graduate
4. Take the biggest test of your entire life and career.
5. Start racking up 3000 counseling hours in an attempt to get your full counseling license- you can then be free! you can set up your own practice, you dont have mandatory weekly supervision.. you are a full fledged licensed therapist

You have one test, only 160 questions to decide if you are really competent in therapy. You must pass to counsel, so if you dont pass, you have to wait 3 months.. which means you cant work yet and you cant start working on knocking down those 3000 hours (which for me means even longer to start TTC). If you fail a second time, you have to wait a year and you have to take 12 hours of college credit. It is a major test and your career is riding on it.. and if you dont eventually pass, ALL the years of education are for nothing!

so with all that said, I took that test TODAY in Dallas and PASSED!!!!!! I passed the first time and had a very high score (scores dont matter they just care if you pass, but I care about the score!). It was the least confident I've ever been walking into a test. My TTC plans are riding on all of this, so to pass is a major huge fantastic accomplishment (well for me anyways!)

I dont share alot of this kind of stuff, but its big for our TTC plans and means hopefully we can stay on schedule

July 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
kadydid
YAY!!! CONGRATS!!!
July 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is awesome! Congrats!

3000 hours sounds like a lot though. How long will it take you to get those?

July 11th, 2007, 05:25 PM
about a year and a half to two years.. UGH! but I totally understand just because therapy is a form of healing, its intensive, you are "messing" with people's lives as I often say. You are priviliged to highly confidential information and you are holding emotions and creating a safe place for really hurting population
You need to become really competent in a large number of areas and be able to really see all kinds of populations. So its almost 10 years before you can fully counsel on your own

July 11th, 2007, 05:27 PM
~Faith~
Wow, Lauren! I am totally in awe of you right now. *Bows Down*
July 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
nah no need for bowing..i just need to share excitement. People pass it all the time (obviously because we have tons of counselors out there) but lots do fail it the first time

July 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Marissa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Marissa Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa
Thats fantastic hon, Congradulations.

When have you decided to start TTC?
July 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
*Aspen*
Congratz, I know that means so much to you! Not only for TTC, but for passing and with HIGH SCORES!! Double congratz!
July 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM
the keeping of the TTC is secretly part of the reason i'm on cloud nine. I feel like we've moved it and moved it. For those that dont know my story and stalk me , we've had a date 3 times now to start, and we've passed them all! Our latest date is set for next summer and it depends on all kinds of things, but this test was one of the biggies
It means we can keep our date and hopefully have a baby sooner

July 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM
donomama
Good girl, Lauren!
July 11th, 2007, 07:35 PM
ok tiff is just excited that i'm going to actually stick to a plan and make a real live baby! instead of just talking about it...

July 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
ok tiff is just excited that i'm going to actually stick to a plan and make a real live baby! instead of just talking about it...[/b]
Buahahaha!!! LOL!!! Don't worry...in case you haven't noticed...a lot of time I talk about mine and dh's "children"........ We only have 1. LOL!
July 11th, 2007, 07:38 PM
ha! its so true!

July 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Yay!! Congrats!

July 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm jealous you get to take yours so soon! Here in Indiana, we have to WAIT until we have 1,000 face to face hours and get 200 supervision hours before we can even apply to take the exam!!! I would have loved to have taken mine right out of school! I don't remember anything now! I've got close to 1500 face to face hours in but the supervision hours are KILLING me, I still have more than 100 to do! It will take forever!
July 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Tofu Bacon
Congratulations!!!
July 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Ann I remember Kyle saying that. They offer the NCE here one a month, and you can't even THINK about seeing clients till you pass it, so that means no work and no hours until you pass it all.. its a little frustrating just sitting on my thumbs waiting on the test date and all the paperwork to get sent in for the LPC-I (Licensed Professional Counselor-Intern)

July 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's wonderful! Congratulations!

July 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I took that test TODAY in Dallas and PASSED!!!!!! I passed the first time and had a very high score (scores dont matter they just care if you pass, but I care about the score!). It was the least confident I've ever been walking into a test. My TTC plans are riding on all of this, so to pass is a major huge fantastic accomplishment (well for me anyways!)

I dont share alot of this kind of stuff, but its big for our TTC plans and means hopefully we can stay on schedule[/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search