I need your help.

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Veteran
I have half of one cigarette left. When it is gone, I will be placing a Nicoderm patch on me and hoping for the best. I have been smoking on and off for 4 years. I have quit probably more than 10 times now, once for several months during my pregnancy--but after it ended it took no time for me to start right back up. (And NO, I do not ever smoke around Elizabeth. I go outside).

I have never tried the patch, but have always done it cold turkey. So I'm trying the patch. I need people that I'll have to live up to if I fail--so you are those people. Thanks.
July 12th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What would you like us to do for you hon?
July 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Veteran
I don't know? I just want people that I'll have to admit I failed to if I do--gives me motivation to not fail. Maybe convince me why this is a good idea?
July 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
You really just have to want to quit!!! You can do it! I quit over 3 months ago, cold turkey, and I'm sooooooo happy I'm a nonsmoker now! I feel a lot healthier, I actually smell like my shampoo more than 10 minutes after my shower, and I'm not harming Julia! DH quit about a month ago, too!
July 12th, 2007, 08:11 AM
~Faith~
I help you out in any way I can, Laura! Just picture Joey Tribbiani's agent from "Friends", Estelle and put down the ciggy!
July 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM
kadydid
Quote:
You really just have to want to quit!!! You can do it! I quit over 3 months ago, cold turkey, and I'm sooooooo happy I'm a nonsmoker now! I feel a lot healthier, I actually smell like my shampoo more than 10 minutes after my shower, and I'm not harming Julia! DH quit about a month ago, too![/b]
ITA! I wanted to quit and it was hard for the first three days, but I KNEW I was done smoking. I am so glad to be a non smoker! It was 5 years for me this year!!

July 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't know? I just want people that I'll have to admit I failed to if I do--gives me motivation to not fail. Maybe convince me why this is a good idea?[/b]
How about you have a mandatory check in day with us in the chit chat room? Say, every Thursday, you have to create a thread and update us on how you are doing! You can talk about any slip up's you've had as well as how difficult it is!! And if you forget you weekly check-in, you can be dang sure one of us will remember and will make a post FOR you! This way, you will know all week that you wil "have to report" something good or something bad and it might give you more motivation to not have any puffs!
July 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I quit during my pregnancy, so it has been about a year and a half now since I've smoked.

You can do it! You won't miss it either after a while, trust me.

It helps to have candy around.

July 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM
chloe82
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I have no real practical advice since I have never been in your shoes before, but I can tell you that you are absolutely doing the right thing and you CAN follow through this time and make smoking a small thing of your past!!!!

(Little disclaimer in case anyone is wondering why the grim post....this is me trying to convince you that this is a good idea, like you asked!)

My dh is so passionate on this topic, I should get HIM to write you a response but I'll just tell you why and maybe that will give you an idea....his biological family all lead unhealthy lifestyles. They all smoke like chimneys, and all have since they were in their teens.

His mother died of cancer when she was 39....dh was 18, his sisters were 21 and 13. Today, their father has esophageal cancer. (dh and sibs are now 25, 28 and 20). He just survived a major surgery...prognosis as at this moment unknown....we are awaiting test results to hear the news. In any event my dh is terribly frustrated with his family for continuing to smoke through all this....through his mother's death, and now his father's serious illness...and potential death. His sisters smoke and he begs them constantly to stop. I know it causes him a lot of stress and heartache, knowing what may be in store from them with all they have already gone through.

You have the power right now to NOT do that to your daughter when she gets older!!! No way does she or your dh want to see you get sick, suffer and die as a result of a habit that you just didn't kick.
I know that may sound harsh, but I think sometimes people could use a huge dose of reality, especially if you already WANT to quit!

I worked as a nurse in palliative care for several years (cancer patients with less than three months to live) and saw every day the terrible suffering that smoking can cause...I truly wish I could take everyone who smokes on a tour through that floor and see what they are potentially signing themselves up for later in their life. How many times have I listened to someone who is dying lament the fact that they never quit smoking.....
IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

YOU CAN DO IT, just put your mind to it and take it one day at a time and before you know it enough time will have passed that you will feel proud of yourself and it will be in your past. Your daughter will thank you one day, I promise you. I know I am incredibly grateful to my dad for quitting while we were still young. Who knows the suffering to himself and to us he may have prevented.

I'm not judging smokers as people, I just think that smoking in and of itself is a selfish habit...it makes you feel good in the moment, and it's a very hard habit to kick, yes, but I wonder how many more people would be able to quit if they could have a glimpse into their future and see what kind of pain and suffering they might be in for, as well as all of their loved ones.

I really hope you hang in there!!!!!
July 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Dayna1
Good for you!! You really can do it! That's fantastic you're giving up, I'm thinking about giving up myself soon. I wish you all the luck in the world!
July 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
chloe82
Quote:
Just think of how much more likely Elizabeth is to smoke if her Mama does. I know you don't smoke around her, but she'll still know eventually even if she doesn't now. I think you should put aside the amount of a pack every time you would buy them and spend it on something for yourself. You'll be shocked how quickly it'll add up![/b]

That's a cool idea. I can't believe how much money people don't realize they are spending on cigarettes. For that one reason alone I could never do it! I'm way too cheap!!
July 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
*Aspen*
****HUGS**** Good for you for quitting. I wish you the best of luck Laura!!!!!! You can do it, WILL POWER BABY!
July 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laura you could put a blinkie or something in your siggie that says "ask me how I"m doing on quitting smoking". It would remind me to check in personally with you and let you vent or talk about it
and I think we should have a weekly or bi weekly chit chat topic on it! we are here for you

July 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Veteran
Well, I've had the patch on for about 3 hours now. I normally would have smoked several times by now. I'm really impressed. Quitting cold turkey like I normally have, I would be freaking out, shaking right now. But I'm relatively ok--it's just the habit I'm having a problem with. I feel like it's time to go outside and smoke--but I really don't have any side effects! I hope this works out this time!

Quote:
You really just have to want to quit!!! You can do it! I quit over 3 months ago, cold turkey, and I'm sooooooo happy I'm a nonsmoker now! I feel a lot healthier, I actually smell like my shampoo more than 10 minutes after my shower, and I'm not harming Julia! DH quit about a month ago, too![/b]
I have quit for months before though. I was free from them for probably about 5 months during my pregnancy until right after birth. I thought I could have just 'one' cigarette--but that one brought it alllll back immediately. The addiction comes back just as before with just a little bit. I won't feel like a non-smoker until I've succeeded for well over a year. At any time before that, it's still a temptation.

Quote:
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I have no real practical advice since I have never been in your shoes before, but I can tell you that you are absolutely doing the right thing and you CAN follow through this time and make smoking a small thing of your past!!!!

(Little disclaimer in case anyone is wondering why the grim post....this is me trying to convince you that this is a good idea, like you asked!)

My dh is so passionate on this topic, I should get HIM to write you a response but I'll just tell you why and maybe that will give you an idea....his biological family all lead unhealthy lifestyles. They all smoke like chimneys, and all have since they were in their teens.

His mother died of cancer when she was 39....dh was 18, his sisters were 21 and 13. Today, their father has esophageal cancer. (dh and sibs are now 25, 28 and 20). He just survived a major surgery...prognosis as at this moment unknown....we are awaiting test results to hear the news. In any event my dh is terribly frustrated with his family for continuing to smoke through all this....through his mother's death, and now his father's serious illness...and potential death. His sisters smoke and he begs them constantly to stop. I know it causes him a lot of stress and heartache, knowing what may be in store from them with all they have already gone through.

You have the power right now to NOT do that to your daughter when she gets older!!! No way does she or your dh want to see you get sick, suffer and die as a result of a habit that you just didn't kick.
I know that may sound harsh, but I think sometimes people could use a huge dose of reality, especially if you already WANT to quit!

I worked as a nurse in palliative care for several years (cancer patients with less than three months to live) and saw every day the terrible suffering that smoking can cause...I truly wish I could take everyone who smokes on a tour through that floor and see what they are potentially signing themselves up for later in their life. How many times have I listened to someone who is dying lament the fact that they never quit smoking.....
IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

YOU CAN DO IT, just put your mind to it and take it one day at a time and before you know it enough time will have passed that you will feel proud of yourself and it will be in your past. Your daughter will thank you one day, I promise you. I know I am incredibly grateful to my dad for quitting while we were still young. Who knows the suffering to himself and to us he may have prevented.

I'm not judging smokers as people, I just think that smoking in and of itself is a selfish habit...it makes you feel good in the moment, and it's a very hard habit to kick, yes, but I wonder how many more people would be able to quit if they could have a glimpse into their future and see what kind of pain and suffering they might be in for, as well as all of their loved ones.

I really hope you hang in there!!!!![/b]
Unfortunately-I have experience with this. Two of my grandparents died of lung cancer. One died before I was born, the other I had to go 'care for' before my senior year of high school.. I watched her get sicker and sicker. It was really hard on me. Eventually she died while in hospice care, just 10 minutes before I would arrive to see her. I blamed myself for her death for a long time--and for some weird subliminal reason I feel that is the reason I started to begin with. I had seen it's effects, so I should never have started! But I felt I owed it to my grandmother to suffer as she had.. Weird, I know.

Quote:
Good for you!! You really can do it! That's fantastic you're giving up, I'm thinking about giving up myself soon. I wish you all the luck in the world! [/b]
Good luck to you too!

Quote:
Just think of how much more likely Elizabeth is to smoke if her Mama does. I know you don't smoke around her, but she'll still know eventually even if she doesn't now. I think you should put aside the amount of a pack every time you would buy them and spend it on something for yourself. You'll be shocked how quickly it'll add up![/b]
That's a good idea! I think I deserve a pedicure after one week smoke free!!
July 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM
LaceyMommy2B
why dont you replace smoking with something.. likeeee sitting outside sucking on a hard candy? for me, i have a banana laffy taffy addiction ( its okay to laugh at me.. its FUNNY) so when i quit smoking, id sit outside, eat banana laffy taffy and soak up the FRESH air. id usually talk on the phone too so it would take my mind off of it. i quit cold turkey the day i got my 2 pink lines ( i wasnt planning on getting preggo or i would have quit before lol) and it was rough.. but after a few weeks, i felt SOOO much better! oh, but i still have a hard time being around smokers while they are smoking.. sometimes it smells disgusting and i think "thats NASTY" lol sometimes i just wanna grab the pack out of their purse and run for dear life. so i just prefer to stay away from smokers lol. i also have severe asthma (yes i was THAT stupid), so not smoking has improved my health GREATLY!
July 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ms.Michelle

I love seeing this place as a place of support. Laura, we disagree on everything but I wish nothing more than good vibes to you, especially for this! Start a ticker too?
July 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Veteran
Will do^

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search