the traveling virgin

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
mommyKathyX3
I've never been on a plane, and the last time joey was, was before 9/11. Actually it was like 11 yrs ago. anyway, we are taking a trip with the kids to Pennslyvania/new york/New Jersey in august. I need ADVICE!!!! Here are my questions.

Oh, and we are going through MIDWEST

1. Cade is not getting his own seat. Well, we arent paying for one for him anyway. BUT I heard that if they dont have all the seats sold, they'll let me put him in a carseat on the plane without paying. Is that true? I know he'll probably want to be held anyway, and I do NOT want to pay the money for the seat. If there something special I need for he to be on my lap though? Like is the seatbelt just over him and me together, or what?

2. Do you think its more worth it to bring the carseat, or just use the ones the rental car company can provide. (if I'm not going to use it on the plane anyway) I mean the carset seems really big to bring.

3. I also heard that you can check the carseats and strollers at the gate. How do you do that? You dont check them with regular luggage? Do you have to wrap them in something special or tag them specially or something? I'm only bringing his umbrella stroller since we dont use anyother kind of stroller for him cause I usually just wear him in my wrap most of the time. Also, if we DO bring the carseat, but DONT use it on the plane, does it need to be put in something?

Other non-flight questions

Here is our basic itinerary, we are arriving in Pittsburg on a friday evening around 8 pm. Then we are driving to right outside of Newark to stay the night in a hotel. The next morning we are getting up early and going to NYC for the day.

Should we drive there? Shuttle there? Buy a city transit ticket? Book a site seeing tour? I like the tour idea, but for the 5 of us it would be almost 200 dollars. We want to go to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, World Trade Center site, Times Square, and Central Park. We might hit the empire state building but not a necessity. Those are really our only have toos.

Advice? Anything else you suggest? We have a Garmin, which will help with the "where to go thing" We are going to leave that evening maybe around 7 or so and drive down to Lavalette where we are staying for the rest of the week with my husbands family.

I guess I'm just panicing cause I've NEVER been on a REAL vacation. We've done the weekend drive thing, but thats it.

July 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Ms.Michelle
I wish I had advice... but the only thing I read I could relate to was the Garmin!
July 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM
donomama
There was a thread the other day with some good flight tips you may want to read:

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=673890

I highly recommend taking Cade's carseat with you. The rental ones are NASTY. We had to use one once when they lost Avery's carseat, and I wanted to dip her in bleach after she got out of it. Gross. I have never flown Midwest, but if they do have extra seats, they will most likely let you take his carseat on with you. If not, you can just check it at the gate. They won't let you put the seatbelt over you and him, so he will be unsecured if he's not in his carseat. I tried it once. They also won't let you sit with him in a carrier or sling, at least during take off and landing.

To check the carseat and stroller at the gate, you take them all the way to the gate. When you get there, go up to the desk and tell them that you are gate checking. They'll give you a little tag for each and you carry them down the jetway and leave them right outside of the plane door. Someone will come and get them and put them under the plane. After you land, they'll put them right there again, and they'll most likely be waiting for you when you get off. I have had to wait a couple of times, but it has never been more than a couple of minutes. If you gate check the carseat, you don't need to put it in anything, just make sure to attach the little tag that they give you. If you check it with your luggage, you'll need to put it in a big plastic bag, but they can provide that and bag it up for you when you check in.

When you check in, ask the airline worker if the flight is full, and if not, can you take the carseat on with you. They'll most likely have to rearrange seats so that you can be in an empty row. A carseat can only go next to the window, and not in an exit row. I've made that mistake before, and since it takes to long to get settled, it was a big pain to have to take the kid out of the carseat and then try to hold her while moving the carseat while everyone waited and looked at me. My secret tip is to call the airline and ask for assigned seats at the rear of the plane. If there are 4 of you travelling with tickets, I would ask for 2 rows (if it is a 3 seat row, 2 rows across), in one row, put two people in each row, one in the window and one in the isle. Center seats are always the last ones filled, and the ones at the rear of the plane are also the last ones filled. I have usually gotten lucky when i have done that and been able to get a seat for the baby.

I wouldn't drive into the city if I were you. I would take public transportation. I have never stayed in Newark, but I know that there is a big subway hub there, so you should be fine. Parking in the city is pretty expensive (at least 20-30 in my experience), and chances are, you won't be driving your car around anyway, so you'll still have to use public transportation. You can get anywhere by subway there.

I can't wait to see pictures of this trip!!!
July 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
There was a thread the other day with some good flight tips you may want to read:

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=673890

I highly recommend taking Cade's carseat with you. The rental ones are NASTY. We had to use one once when they lost Avery's carseat, and I wanted to dip her in bleach after she got out of it. Gross. I have never flown Midwest, but if they do have extra seats, they will most likely let you take his carseat on with you. If not, you can just check it at the gate. They won't let you put the seatbelt over you and him, so he will be unsecured if he's not in his carseat. I tried it once. They also won't let you sit with him in a carrier or sling, at least during take off and landing.

To check the carseat and stroller at the gate, you take them all the way to the gate. When you get there, go up to the desk and tell them that you are gate checking. They'll give you a little tag for each and you carry them down the jetway and leave them right outside of the plane door. Someone will come and get them and put them under the plane. After you land, they'll put them right there again, and they'll most likely be waiting for you when you get off. I have had to wait a couple of times, but it has never been more than a couple of minutes. If you gate check the carseat, you don't need to put it in anything, just make sure to attach the little tag that they give you. If you check it with your luggage, you'll need to put it in a big plastic bag, but they can provide that and bag it up for you when you check in.

When you check in, ask the airline worker if the flight is full, and if not, can you take the carseat on with you. They'll most likely have to rearrange seats so that you can be in an empty row. A carseat can only go next to the window, and not in an exit row. I've made that mistake before, and since it takes to long to get settled, it was a big pain to have to take the kid out of the carseat and then try to hold her while moving the carseat while everyone waited and looked at me. My secret tip is to call the airline and ask for assigned seats at the rear of the plane. If there are 4 of you travelling with tickets, I would ask for 2 rows (if it is a 3 seat row, 2 rows across), in one row, put two people in each row, one in the window and one in the isle. Center seats are always the last ones filled, and the ones at the rear of the plane are also the last ones filled. I have usually gotten lucky when i have done that and been able to get a seat for the baby.

I wouldn't drive into the city if I were you. I would take public transportation. I have never stayed in Newark, but I know that there is a big subway hub there, so you should be fine. Parking in the city is pretty expensive (at least 20-30 in my experience), and chances are, you won't be driving your car around anyway, so you'll still have to use public transportation. You can get anywhere by subway there.

I can't wait to see pictures of this trip!!![/b]
Thanks so much! At least I have someplace to start now. We got to pick our seats, and with 5 of us, we'd have to do 3 rows cause Midwest doesnt have 3 across seating, they only have 2 across seating. But since Cade doesnt have his own seat, we are just in 2 rows.
July 16th, 2007, 12:53 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
One of the gals in Sydda's PR is a flight attendant. I remember her having a bunch of advice for travelling with kids, I'll see if I can find the thread.

ETA OK here's one: http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=645599 It's not the one I was thiking of, but I just read all your replies and looks like you got plenty of tips have fun!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Be careful in Newark! lol I hate Newark, it's like, 15-20 minutes from where I grew up.

I lived in NJ for 19 years, and I never once drove into NYC - always took the train and PATH train, and would recommend that for you, too. It only takes about 20-30 minutes, and you don't have to deal with traffic.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search