What is a mei tei?

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
a mei tai is an asian-inspired baby carrier. It can be worn on the front or back and the child must face the parent. Unlike the snugli or bjorn, it supports proper curvature of the spine as the child actually sits in it rather than dangling from his bottom. It also distributes the weight across the hips and back more effectively than a snugli or bjorn. Mei tais are more difficult to put on AT FIRST because you need to learn to tie them. You can't just adjust the straps to the proper length and then pop it on and off without any adjustment like you can with a snugli/bjorn. Once you get used to it though, it's so much better because it is a truly customizable fit every time you put the mei tai on. While I couldn't wear my 6-month old in a bjorn for longer than about 20 minutes without a backache, I can easily wear my 2-year-old in a mei tai for 1/2 a day without any discomfort at all.

Lemme go dig up some pix for ya.

July 14th, 2007, 02:22 PM
donomama
I'm getting ready to make one and I'm so excited!!! I'll post some pics when I'm done.
July 14th, 2007, 02:27 PM
http://babyhawk.com/

http://ellaroo.com/mei-tai.php

http://www.cobaltcarriers.com/mei-tai-baby-sling.htm

July 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM
~Faith~
Quote:
I'm getting ready to make one and I'm so excited!!! I'll post some pics when I'm done.[/b]
Hey, if it turns out well ,you should consider selling them, Tiffany! I want a Mei Tai for my next baby!
July 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
I'm getting ready to make one and I'm so excited!!! I'll post some pics when I'm done.[/b]
Hey, if it turns out well ,you should consider selling them, Tiffany! I want a Mei Tai for my next baby!
[/b]
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
I probably will. I already sell my pouches and some other baby items at local boutiques. If this is a hit, I will probably sell them too! If you get pregnant in January, maybe I'll send you one for free (come on, you know you want to)!
July 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I have a mei tai from www.babyhawk.com. You can wear her facing forward, backwards, on your hip, on your back...umm...upside down? lol j/k They're awesome - a little pricey, but awesome. I practically wore mine out, and I stil use it when we're walking around a lot.
July 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Oh, Courtney, I didn't know you could do forward-facing in a babyhawk! I have a Sachi and the butt is so wide that you can't. I may have to buy a babyhawk for the next baby. THANKS!

July 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM
~Faith~
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
I probably will. I already sell my pouches and some other baby items at local boutiques. If this is a hit, I will probably sell them too! If you get pregnant in January, maybe I'll send you one for free (come on, you know you want to)!
[/b]
Rubs hands together....an incentive! Actually, if we end up with better insurance before Jan, I might just go ahead and give the ole baby dancing a whirl!
July 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM
donomama
Quote:
Cool, thanks girls So you are actually wrapping it around your body...

I hope they come with enough fabric to wrap around mine! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
Cece....

Quote:
Tiffany, can you make a custom one for me?! [/b]
Of course, but you'll need to have another baby with me, say starting in January???
July 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Quote:

I hope they come with enough fabric to wrap around mine! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The straps are VERY long, but even so, you can order one with extra long straps for an extra $5 from babyhawk. I was JUST on their site figuring out what fabrics I want. Darn it, Courtney, now I'm going to be salivating over those things for MONTHS until I know whether I'm having a girl or another boy. I'm not even pregnant yet!!!

July 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM
~Faith~
Don't worry CeCe, I'll be sending in an extra $10 to have extra extra long straps! LOL I want a reversible pattern one, so I can have a boy side and a girl side.
July 14th, 2007, 09:33 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
How in the world do you wrap that thing around you and put the baby on your back? I'm assuming that you'd need an extra set of hands to do it. It looks difficult. I'd probably end up dropping the poor baby!

July 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I use the "Santa Toss" to get baby on my back without any help. I practiced over the bed until I had the move 100% perfected, now I can do it anywhere. Here's a link to a video. Since Ethan is bigger, I have him stand while I wrap it around him rather than laying him on the bed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWVCaip0Y8

July 15th, 2007, 12:44 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
Quote:

I hope they come with enough fabric to wrap around mine! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The straps are VERY long, but even so, you can order one with extra long straps for an extra $5 from babyhawk. I was JUST on their site figuring out what fabrics I want. Darn it, Courtney, now I'm going to be salivating over those things for MONTHS until I know whether I'm having a girl or another boy. I'm not even pregnant yet!!!
[/b]
Aw! lol You could get a gender-neutral one! Oh oh, or buy a reversible one, and have a girl print on one side, and a boy print on the other!!!

And just for fun:

July 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Aw! lol You could get a gender-neutral one! Oh oh, or buy a reversible one, and have a girl print on one side, and a boy print on the other!!!

And just for fun:

[/b]
Oh no! I've had 2 boys, if I have a girl next time, I'm going all out on the pink/purple ruffly fru-fru stuff! No gender-neutral for me, lol.

That is the CUTEST pic!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search