Movies

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
~Faith~
As some of you know, Dh and I are big movie watchers. We probably watch 4 to 6 movies a week. So, I thought it would be cool to have a movie thread. List as many movies as you like and then give your "review" of them. When I want to get an idea for a new movie to watch, I always go to RedBox and see what's new. And here's a little tip for ya, if you go here, you can get free rental codes that you use at the actual redbox location. Free Movie Rental
So, here are a few movies we've watched recently.
Reign Over Me (Adam Sandler). I have to say this is not a typical Sandler comedy. This movie uses his "darker" side. I personally liked it. It was deep, thought provoking and it gave a small inside look at what a person "might" go through when they lose a loved one(s). I think the therapists and therapists to be in our debate group might like this one.

In a Dark Place (Leelee Sobieski) AAAAAK!!! This movie is horrible and the acting is terrible. I started this movie a few days ago and finished it today. Do not waste your time, the plot is confusing, did I mention the acting was terrible?? lol

Shooter (Mark Walhberg) Ok well, first off, it's got the Markster....and yummo doesn't do him justice. But this was actually a very good movie. If you and your SO like war/drama/thriller with a lot of testosterone, shooting and violence...then this is the movie for you. I personally liked it but then I also liked Boogie Nights... wonder why... "giggles". But yeah, this is a good movie and it does show a corrupt side of our government "gasp". LOL

Norbit (Eddie Murphy) Normally I find Mr. Murphy annoying but this movie was very funny. He plays several of the characters in the movie (of course) but he does it quite well. It's a good laugh.

8MM2 (there are no famous people in this movie...not surprisingly). It was so awful, I didn't make it through 30 mins of it. And no, it was not because of sexual violence (there was none in that first 30 mins), the plot/acting was so terrible, I developed an immediate case of the brain flu that could only be cured by carefully turning off the T.V. and eating ice cream (hey! it works).
So that's my little intro...now, don't make me feel like a numnuts....post some recent movies that you've watched and give us your reviews!
July 14th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Ms.Michelle
I'm hoping to see a Harry Potter review!
July 14th, 2007, 07:28 PM
chlodoll
Dont watch the Lake House with Sandra Bullock ever..........ever never ever.
July 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm hoping to see a Harry Potter review![/b]
Ahhh!! I loved it, loved it, loved it!! DH and I are those crazy people that went out at midnight to go see it (I know.. we're nuts!!). It stayed very true to the book, and I loved the casting of it. Imelda Staunton (sp??) is the best villain so far, and Evanna Lynch made a terrific Luna Lovegood. I think the only downside to the movie is that it seems a bit rushed, but of course, the book is about 900 pages long, and the movie is about 2 1/2 hours long, so they had to do something. There were several changes to the plot from the book to the movie version, but I think they really worked!! I was very disappointed with the 4th movie, so this was a nice surprise. I would definitely go see it again, and it'll be a movie we'll invest in when it comes to DVD... that's for sure! There are some GREAT one-liners in this film.

July 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ms.Michelle
^ Awesome! That sounds so worth the cash!
July 14th, 2007, 09:27 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I can't wait to go see HP! I think we are going to the Drive-in it is more baby friendly. If he cries no one else can hear but us! I love HP! We are taking my DSD to the midnight release party at Barnes and Noble.

I agree about the Lake House movie. Yuck!

Watched The Last Mimzy with DSD tonight...not too bad. I've seen worse...much worse.

July 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM
*Aspen*
Hey I liked Lake House!!!

We watched Inside Man tonight.....WEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD!! Left a bad taste in my mouth...to scheme-ey for me.
July 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM
irishxrose
You want my review of Harry Potter?

Disappointing. VERY disappointing. For one, it's the shortest movie yet for the LONGEST book in the series. Wanna know why? Well, they left a lot out, including VERY crucial parts of the story, such as Kreacher (he makes a cameo appearance in the first half and then doesn't show up again). I was extremely irritated with it. I am a huge fan of the books, and everything that I really enjoyed in the books didn't even make an appearance. I just did not like it. I'll buy the DVD in hopes there are deleted scenes.
July 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Hmmmm...

Well, we just bought "Memento" on BluRay which was fun to watch, but I'm annoyed we spent so much money on a movie that isn't *all* that great.

Last week we watched "Burnt by the Sun", which is a Russian movie about the end of the Stalin era. It's based on a true story, and sort of disturbing. I've watched it a LOT since I first saw it when i was a freshman in HS, I loooove this movie. I'm tempted to say it's one of my favorites.

"America Beauty" is another favorite of mine, Kevin Spacey's such an awesome ACTOR (not "hollywood personality" like most of the other male "actors" in movies nowadays...I'm such a movie snob lol).

I watched "Jesus Camp" at the beginning of the summer, but I know that's not new so you probably already saw it.

I want to go see the Simpsons movie!!! lol We have to wait until August to see anything in the theatre, we're going home for a week so we can leave Jules with family.
July 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
~Faith~
I actually liked the Lake House. However, we watched "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock last night and it was terrible! I'm in the middle of watching "The Astronaut Farmer" with Billy Bob Thornton, I'll let you know how it is.
July 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM
~Faith~
Hey Michelle! I've got a movie for you to watch. Georgia Rule. *Warning* this is not a chick flick like I originally thought it would be, it's pretty deep and somewhat disturbing (good ending though), it covers messed up mother/daughter relationships, alcoholism, sexual abuse, Mormonism LOL....you name it, it's got it. Might be a good movie to watch while passing the time till Ms. Samantha gets here.
July 15th, 2007, 07:03 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Dont watch the Lake House with Sandra Bullock ever..........ever never ever.[/b]
I can't stand her...I don't know why, but she really just bugs me
July 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Some of my favorites are...

The Shining (Stanley Kubrick/Jack Nicholson version)
All of the Harry Potter movies (which do pale in comparison to the books)
The Devil Wears Prada
Poltergeist
Happy Gilmore
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Monty Python and The Meaning of Life
The First Wives Club
Finding Nemo
Minority Report
War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise version, though ironically I DETEST Tom Cruise)
Session 9
The Others
Stir of Echoes
Hairspray (John Waters version, not this ######ized "John Travolta" version coming out)
Ghostbusters 1 and 2 (yeah, I'm a geek, I know)

And many more...I just can't think of them.
July 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
~Faith~
John Waters is crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy! LOL
July 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Hey Michelle! I've got a movie for you to watch. Georgia Rule. *Warning* this is not a chick flick like I originally thought it would be, it's pretty deep and somewhat disturbing (good ending though), it covers messed up mother/daughter relationships, alcoholism, sexual abuse, Mormonism LOL....you name it, it's got it. Might be a good movie to watch while passing the time till Ms. Samantha gets here. [/b]
Thanks for the tip!

I just watched The Devil Wears Prada because I thought even though it has that young little one, I'm sure Meryl Strep wouldn't do a bubble gum movie.. Well, I thought it was completely a waste of time, and a completely predictable bubble gum story.. and I thought it protrayed women working in yet another negative light.

Quote:
Quote:
Dont watch the Lake House with Sandra Bullock ever..........ever never ever.[/b]
I can't stand her...I don't know why, but she really just bugs me
[/b]
I don't care for her on screen as well. I do love her outside of Hollyweird because she and her Dh, Jesse James, adopt handicapped dogs.
July 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I just watched The Devil Wears Prada because I thought even though it has that young little one, I'm sure Meryl Strep wouldn't do a bubble gum movie.. Well, I thought it was completely a waste of time, and a completely predictable bubble gum story.. and I thought it protrayed women working in yet another negative light.
[/b]
I don't expect each and every movie to be so politically correct and for the characters to be portrayed in the exact right fashion to fight stereotypes. If I like it, I like it. I don't know why I like that one. Perhaps because my sister is in the fashion industry in NYC and it gives me a glimpse into her life (plus one of her friends is actually in the movie). So, I went into it kind of hoping to like it too and that might have made a difference in creating bias.

ETA: Movies are for entertainment. The characters are written to be "extreme" or there would be absolutely no entertainment value in them and they would bomb at the box office. I can see your dislike of the movie because it is predictable but I don't know how it could have been re-written to incorporate a more positive light of working women. What didn't you like in that aspect?
July 16th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm a BIG comedy movie buff. I'll watch comedies while on my death bed!

My recommendations if you haven't seen them (some are old):
Young Frankenstein (my all-time fav)
Pretty much all Mel Brooks movies[/b]
I second that!!!!
"Robin Hood: Men in Thighs" is Mel Brooks at his best.

The movie I recommned you never, never, EVER watch is "Lady in the Water". *puke* Seems to me Shyamalan just had two good stories in him: The Sixth Sense and The Village. "Lady in the Water" was the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen.

Sharon
July 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Court I watched Jesus Camp a few months ago and spent half the movie crying (bad church experiences) and the other half SCREAMING at the TV.

Anything Monty Python I recommend!!!

and my all time fave movie is Dead Poets Society

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search