Your Children's Name

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM
*Aspen*
What made you decide to name your child what you did?
July 16th, 2007, 12:50 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I don't know what made us choose Jack.... both Andy and I wanted to name a son Jack, before we even met. I had a list of names I liked for future babies in my trinket box, since my teens, and Jack was at the top of it. Aidan was next on the list - at the time it was an unusual name - but we didn't go with Aidan as a middle name, it just didn't seem to flow with Jack. We decided that since I took Andy's family name when I married him, that Jack would have my maiden name as his middle name, and any future boys would also have a middle name form my side of the family.
That's how Angus got MacKenzie as his middle name. And Angus, well I just loved it - Andy did not, but I bought his approval with sexual favors (might have to edit that out later)
Mia Isabella was an easy one, that was the tops on my girl list, so she was Mia Isabella as soon as the U/S confirmed she was a girl. To me it means my little beauty.
Sydney was a boy for a couple months, the first U/S was wrong, and she was going to be Vaughn. Then we found out she was a girl. First I wanted Caitriona, but he said that made him think of Hurricane Katrina. Then for a while I thought we had settled on Zoe Soleil, until he confessed he really didn't like that either. Finally it was the wek he was leaving for Iraq and time was running out to choose a name together so i got out my favorite baby name book and read every name, taking note of each one he didn't veto outright. Then I pared it down to the ones I really liked, and gave it back to him to choose. He had to leave before we settled on a middle name, but the day before she was born I just fet I wanted it to be Jolie, emailed him for his opinion, he liked it , and since I had her the next morning that was it.

So, no real fascinating meanings behind any of them, but I love them all.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jesse is named after my husbands mother who passed away 7 years ago. Jesse was one of the only J names not already taken in our families that we liked so we picked it
July 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
We picked Julia for two reasons. The first, because DH and I are HUGE Beatles fans lol And we love the song "Julia" (pssst, that's where my screen name came from, too!). Also, we're teaching her Russian as well as English, and it's one of the only girls names that we had, that was easily conjugated! lol I've always loved the name Julia, though, it's been on my list of girls names since before I even met DH! He loved the name, too.

Julia's middle name is Elizabeth. We were undecided between Elizabeth and Alexa, and I guess our reasoning was there were too many "a"s if we used Alexa!
July 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM
*Aspen*
Josh had the name Kailey picked out since he was a boy. I loved it, so we used it.
Rose---this is my sister's middle name
Lieselotte----this is dh's grandmothers name. She raised him. It means Lisa (it's German)

Our boy (if we ever have one) will be Christian ( I love this name ) Michael (for dh's middle name)
July 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've loved Emma for years and years! But, if I had gotten my way, she would probably be Lily. DH just does not like Lily. I didn't like his favorites either so we had to compromise and we both really loved Emma. I wanted her MN to be Josephine after my Great Grandmother but DH didn't like it. So, someone on the Baby Names board here suggested Emma Madelyn and I just couldn't get it out of my head. So, that's how she ended up with Madelyn....a person on JM named her!
July 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Robert Kale... Robert is a family name on both sides, and I have no idea where Kale came from. At the time I didn't know it was a cabbage.

Raechel Elaine... Raechel taken in part from my middle name, Rae. Elaine is my mom's middle name.

Daniel Steven... Daniel is a family name on DH's side and Steven is DH's brother.

Joseph Lyle-Neal... We just liked the name Joseph. Lyle was DH's grandpa's name and Neal was my maternal grandparents' last name.

Thomas Michael... Thomas is my dad's name, and when Robert suggested Michael it just sounded right.

Hope... That was the name that came to me when we first knew she had died, no middle name.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Devin Daman (da MAAN--not man, maan) ---I was originally planning on naming Devin, Nathaniel James, but he so did NOT look like a Nathaniel to me AT ALL.

Jude's name is perfect. Jude Jerome means "Praised One of Holy Name". I it also.[/b]
Isn't it funny how that sometimes happens, a baby just not looking like the name that was originally chosen.

I love the name Jude.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
David was named after Dh's grandfather. that was like a given even before I got pregnant.
Aaron, we just simply liked. We wanted a biblical name and the name "Aaron" just came to me. I read about the biblical Aaron and loved it! We actually decided on that name 5 minutes before the bris

Sharon
July 16th, 2007, 12:20 PM
chlodoll
I choose Isaiah because I liked it. I like biblical names. I think they are good strong male names I was actually going to name him Isaac but I changed my mind while in the hospital. If I have another boy I will most likely name him Aaron. I like Gabriel aswell. And if I ever have a girl I want to name her Rhiannon but DH doesnt like it so most likely I would name her Anna.
July 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't have kids but our first child (girl or boy) will be "Morgan." The name is my grandmother's maiden name. I always have had this feeling that she is watching over us and I would love for my child to have a connection to her.
July 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've picked
AnnaLane -Great Grandmother who died

Alexandria -just an all time fave of mine since like 2nd grade

Kieran for our first boy- strong Irish and Scottish name

Kellan - dh and I just love it

Kagan -we had loved Caden but it is too popular for our taste and we read Kaghan somewhere and just loved it too

editing a Year later!

The above is not changed, but we now are changing the spelling for AnnaLane to Analaine. Kieran to Ciaran (the traditional spelling). Everything else is still the same

July 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
What made you decide to name your child what you did?[/b]

*Nak warning*

My son's name is Seamus Padraig Scott Dhabolt (two middle names).

Seamus: "shay-mus"... My husband and I wanted a name that had these criteria: (a) Was Celtic (Irish, Scottish, or Welsh), (B) Was unusual in the United States (meaning not in the top 100 most popular names), © Something we liked the sound of, (d) A *real* name (not a made up one), and (e) Something that had meaning to us.
Seamus is the Irish form of James (just like Sean is the Irish form of John), it's not in the top 100 in the USA (though it is rather common in the UK), we liked the sound of it, its a *real* name, and its in honour of my best friend James who died in 2004.

Padraig: "paw-dreg"... Irish form of Patrick. I just liked this name and the Seamus Padraig combo.

Scott: His second middle name... this is also my maiden name.

Dhabolt: "DAY-bolt", our last name.

If he had been a girl, Rhiannon Siobhan would have been the name we used. Rhiannon is the name of a Welsh goddess (as well as an awesome Stevie Nicks song, lol), Siobhan "sha-vawn" is just an Irish name that I love. Our first girl (if we ever have one) will be either Rhiannon Siobhan or Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan. Caoimhe ("kee-vuh") is an Irish name that I've recently fell in love with and if it wasnt so difficult for the average American to pronounce, I'd use it as a first name... but I guess in the USA, it's better suited as a middle name.

July 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM
chlodoll
I love the name Siobhan! DH would never do it though because he thinks people would be to confused with the pronounciation!
July 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
I love the name Siobhan! DH would never do it though because he thinks people would be to confused with the pronounciation![/b]

Yeah I thought the same thing, but after I had decided to use it for a future girl... I saw the name everywhere! So I guess its more common here than one may have thought, LOL.

July 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
donomama
My son is named Donovan Scott. Donovan after DH's father and grandfather. I just love the name and knew that I wanted to use it as soon as I learned that is a family name. Scott is my husband's name.

My daughter is Avery Michelle. When I was first pregnant with her, a high school girl came on a tour through DH's office and her name was Avery. He came home and said he he liked it and wanted to know if I did. I loved it, so that was what it was, we never really discussed another name after that. Growing up, I didn't have a middle name, but my parents ALWAYS called me Tiffany Michelle, so I thought it WAS my middle name. We gave her the middle name I always wanted to have (and for the longest time, thought I DID have!).
July 17th, 2007, 06:31 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Eric was named after DH's best friend growing up, who was killed in a car accident in their senior year.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search