Log In Sign Up

Light up shoes


Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,227
I recently went to buy shoes with my sons and David chose light up tennis shoes. Personally, I've never had aproblem wit hit but my mom was all up in arms about how dangerous they are. When I asked why she just said "I don't remember, I heard that somewhere" My guess is that "somewhere" is my sil, who to my mother is the ultimate authority in child rearing in the world!!! Me, on the other hand, never know what I'm talking about. I should do what my sil does- which I never do
Oh well, enough of my family issues
I did some research and all I can find about a danger in these shoes was that before 1997, they contained mercury. Apparently, newer models are mercury-free. Has anybody heard of this? Personally, I'm not too paranoid about mercury. I'm not gonna dip my sons into a bath tub of it, but I don't see any harm in using a mercury thermometer when I want a more accurate reading or having toys or books that use those small batteries.
So I guess my question is, is this really such a big deal? Should I never, ever, ever buy light up shoes or musical books or anything that contains mercury? Or is it a bit of a paranoid thing?
Should I just show my mom and sil how they're overreacting... again?

Sharon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Oh the inlaws and their advice eh?

I really think this is over the top but since I found it, I'll let you decide..

Quote:
Although some websites claim that children's light up shoes have been mercury free since 1997, a 2006 report from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services states, "Mercury is found in items such as thermometers, switches, thermostats, light-shoes, jewelry, some batteries, and fluorescent lights." In fact, it is the mercury tilt switch that may have been eliminated and not the battery.[/b]
Green family values

The reason I don't put too much credit there is because in the Misouri report, it's really vague and just sort of lumps it.. I can't seem to find what the article suggests, that the switch may be elimated.. and if it's a battery issue.. well to me that's hardly the end of the world.

Quote:
Mercury is found in items such asthermometers, switches, thermo-stats, light-up shoes, jewelry,some batteries, and fluorescentlight bulbs. When mercury-containing items are broken,mercury can spill out. Improperclean up with a vacuum, paintbrushor household cleaner increasesexposure by dispersing themercury throughout the room.[/b]
Missouri report

I'm not trying to downplay mercury exposure, I just think there are other (bigger) things a mom could be worried about.

Good luck Sharon!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,485
i remember hearing something about the mercury a loooong time ago. I dont think they are a hazard now. I dont think its a big deal!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 16th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,227
I knew it! Just another one of my sil "expert advise" that ends up being a complete fiasco. Like everytime she tells me that I should shave my kids' heads so that they have good, strong hair. She always says that David's hair is too fine, well, hello? I'm the Queen of fine hair and DH's King. If her children have thick hair it's because SHE does. It's called ge-ne-tics.
Oh well... that's another thread on another board

Sharon
Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
((giggle)) I should check out the in-laws subforum but I'm afraid I would never leave!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0