One Week Anniversary!

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Veteran
As of tomorrow around noon(tomorrow is Thursday right?? I'm totally not sure ) ---I will not have smoked for ONE WEEK!! Yea!!! I can't CAN'T CANNOT believe I've actually succeeded so far. It was hard enough with my husband around to lock me up, take the keys, and comfort me when I wanted them.. But here I am--just me and Elizabeth. No one to run to, no one to stop me from buying them--and I'm doing it!!

The patch is amazing! I still have a really rough time getting over the physical habit of wanting to go outside and smoke. And I don't think it fully takes away your cravings--but it helps SO MUCH. It helps me to remain rational enough about it to say "one day at a time" and not give in to every temptation. Plus, I am a huge medical phobe--so when it says "Do not smoke while using this patch"--I'm terrified of what would happen if I did--which is huge motivation in itself.

I really feel that things are different this time though. The other times--although I wouldn't admit it to myself--somewhere deep inside I knew that cigarettes were always available if I needed them. This time around--it's like it's no longer an option! When the craving hits, I think "smoking is not an option" and move on with my day.

Well, it's up to no one but me now! There's no one here to encourage me, stop me from buying them, or comfort me when I crave them. Just me and God. and the debate divas of course!

ETA: Unfortunately, I've been dealing with my cravings with a bit more snacking . I'm working on dealing with that one.
July 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
The extra snacks were the worse part about quitting smoking for me. I was about 15 lbs overweight when I quit and now I am 100+ overweight. Take care of that problem before it is too late!

Congratulations though! If you can go a week without a cigarette you can go forever.

</MARQUEE>
July 18th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Ms.Michelle

We are so super proud of you!! I'm so glad to hear the patch is working for you girl.

I think one of the main reasons it’s so hard to quit smoking is because all the benefits of quitting and all the dangers of continuing seem very far away. Well, here’s a little timeline about some of the more immediate effects of quitting smoking and how that will affect your body RIGHT NOW.

In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
source

Look at all the wonderful things you're doing!
July 18th, 2007, 06:00 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
July 18th, 2007, 06:10 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Hooray! I was just wondering last night if you'd succeeded!

I replaced my smokes with CocaCola...baaaaad idea lol Now I have to cut down on my stupid caffeine habit!
July 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Veteran
^I have a diet Mtn. Dew habit(it's baaaad).

And I just realized today is Wednesday. Well then. That sucks. I was hoping the week was almost over.
July 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
lol Well, TOMORROW'S Thursday, so your post isn't all that inaccurate!
July 18th, 2007, 06:47 AM
*Aspen*
YAY!!!! GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome! I'm really proud of you Laura!
July 18th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
YAY!! The other gals are right; you need to replace an addiction with another addiction--just make it a HEALTHLY one!
July 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Veteran
like?? Suggestions?? And don't say carrot stick eating! Ugh!
July 18th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Quote:
like?? Suggestions?? And don't say carrot stick eating! Ugh![/b]

Sugar-free gum? Chew on a toothpick or straw?

</MARQUEE>
July 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Veteran
^I have tried Twizzlers, cow's tails(candy in case you've never heard of), and other stuff like that(not the best..). I don't think straws and stuff will work. This is like all day cravings!
July 18th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Tofu Bacon
Congratulations, Laura!! That's awesome!!
July 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Quote:
^I have tried Twizzlers, cow's tails(candy in case you've never heard of), and other stuff like that(not the best..). I don't think straws and stuff will work. This is like all day cravings![/b]

I think sugar-free gum would be a good option in that case. You can chew it constantly if you want. Orbit brand has good flavor and it is sugar-free. It also gives you that "Just brushed, clean feeling!" lol

</MARQUEE>
July 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
YAY!! The other gals are right; you need to replace an addiction with another addiction--just make it a HEALTHLY one![/b]
I'm not totally sure, I've never smoked but I know just being in my field that if you get rid of one addiction, another will pop up unless you find another outlet for the anxiety that caused the first addiction. For example, many people having gastric bypass surgery are becoming alcoholics after the surgery; they can avoid the food but instead of finding a new, healthy coping mechanism, they are just using alcohol to cope with the same old anxiety. (I hope Lauren, Kyle or Rachna see this thread, maybe they have more suggestions). Different things work for different people, just experiment with various activities and things to see what works. (Sorry I couldn't have been of more help...I bet you want to slap me right now).
July 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Veteran
LOL no!! Of course not. So you're saying I better get into cleaning, or exercise or something like that.
July 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
LOL no!! Of course not. So you're saying I better get into cleaning, or exercise or something like that.[/b]
Yeah! Everytime you crave a cigarette, try doing something like that to take your mind off of the craving and try to find something that you find fulfilling and enjoyable (like cigarettes), something that will make you feel good!

WHERE ARE THE OTHER THERAPISTS????????????????
July 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
*Aspen*
Get a punching bag. Take your craving out on it....not only will it help you keep from smoking, but it'll keep you in shape
July 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
~Faith~
Way to go, Laura! And about it being almost a week..well, it's Thursday in Japan. So, there ya go! And the only thing I could think of healthy wise to replace the bad habit with a good one was to drink a big tall glass of water.
July 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WTG, Laura!! I'm so excited for you! DH has an awful smoking habit, only increased by the fact that my brother lives here and smokes too... he's tried to stop several times (without assistance like the patch, gum or pills) and it hasn't worked, but he's going to talk to a doctor about it soon.

I suggest finding a new hobby/outlet. I know that when I want to overeat, I'll go read a book or work on a scrapbook (either online or on paper) or something. Just something to keep myself busy.

Good luck, and I'm so excited for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search