What do you feed your kids?

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
*Aspen*
Kailey is slowly starting to eat more solids, soon she will be 1 and she will have to eat solids....But I'm totally at a loss of what to feed her...what kind of foods??? Alyssa eats veggies and fruit pretty well, but she's out of the stage where that is all she wants....and I don't know what to feed her. I started buying canned soup that has a lot of veggies in it.....but what else? Sandwiches? I really don't know what to feed them.... I don't want to feed them "easy" stuff because it's loaded with crap, but I don't know what else there is for little children...LOL!
July 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well she is about the same age as my son. This is what he gets most days:

BF a couple of times a day
+
breakfast- scrambled egg, baby cereal/oatmeal/cream of wheat/cheerios, and juice or fruit

lunch- some of my food, usually. Other foods that he liked are avocado, bananas, chicken cubes, yogurt, hummus (chick pea dip), spaghetti, cherries, apricots, watermelon, etc.

snack- chex or cheerios or crackers, juice

dinner- meat, and some veggies. Like some of my hamburger/chicken, and some corn or green beans or carrots or mashed potatoes.

I think at the ages they are at the only things they can't eat yet are whole milk, moldy cheeses, honey, and nuts. There could be a few more but those are the main allergy-causing foods before 1 year, if I remember correctly. Oh, and citrus can also be allergenic for some babies.

July 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM
*Aspen*
thanks!!
July 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hailey is just a month and half older it looks like...she'll eat whatever we eat for the most part.

Shreded meats, pasta cut up her size, grilled cheese, toast, eggs [we've always done the whole egg with no issues], fruit, veggie - cut to her size, soups. We're bad about convience foods....I wish they had more healthy alternatives. I like the quick and easy route with food, but it makes me gag what they put in there [mac and cheese, one of the ingredients is CREAM CHEESE?! Ok its pasta, and like cheeder cheese thats all you need, maybe some milk or butter to make it not so thick...you don't need yeast, you odn't need cream cheese, you don't need half the other crap they put in there -- sorry rant!]

My biggest struggle right now, is finding lunch that we both can eat. I don't want to give her like a tuna sandwich or lunch meat sandwich seems kinda wierd.

July 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Eric's picky as all get out... so basically I feed him whatever he'll eat, haha. He is a day older than Kailey. Here are some of the things I've found work well:

Breakfast foods! Pancakes, waffles, muffins, toast, etc. He loves whole wheat stuff. Rather than syrup, we use apple sauce or something similar to flavor them, or he eats them straight.

Fruit. He won't eat veggies, but he loves pieces of fruit. Bananas are especially a favorite of his, but he'll eat pretty much any fruit we put in front of him.

Sandwiches - or rather, sandwiches without the top piece of bread. I've found that bread makes many things acceptable for him. I'll do a slice of deli meat and a slice of cheese on a piece of bread, cut it into pieces, and kind of smoosh them together so it doesn't fall apart when he eats it. He'll eat them cold, or I'll put them under the broiler for a couple minutes to toast it and melt the cheese. One trick I've also done... I started this to use up the baby food he had left over. I'll use pureed carrots or the like as a "sauce" on the bread before I layer it with the other stuff. It gets some veggies into him that he actually WILL eat.

Pinto beans. We discovered this one as Qdoba, he loves em, haha.

Yogurt. He won't eat the baby kind, but he LOVES my Yoplait

It's a lot of experimenting, basically. Some days he'll eat whatever, other days he won't. My ped said that all we can do is keep trying, and when he's hungry enough, he'll eat - and that often it takes 10-20 times introducing a food before they'll accept it.

Good luck!!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
July 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I would think egg whites would be much more healthier than leaving the yolks in. Just a thought.

</MARQUEE>
July 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Emilee is a big fan of grilled cheese sandwiches and waffles. I buy the Nutrigrain waffles with blueberries that Eggo makes... reallly good. Hmm... I also make quesadillas quite often (once a week or so) and she still likes the stage 3 baby foods. She also enjoys oatmeal and I mix in fruit (I puree a few pieces of fresh fruit a week and stick them in rubbermaid containers in the fridge). She's on whole milk now, but yeah... everything's going well. She can't eat bananas, though, because they definitely make her constipated!!

July 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
I would think egg whites would be much more healthier than leaving the yolks in. Just a thought. [/b]
Actually, that's completely backwards. The fat in the yolk helps with the digestion and assimilation of the protein in the white, and the yolk contains all the vitamin/mineral content of the egg. Babies as young as a few months old can benefit from mashed egg yolk, but they are unable to digest the white until at least a year or older.

Aspen, If you eat reasonably healthy yourself there is no reason why she cannot eat whatever you eat... Introduce new things one at a time, go easy on the seasoning if you are into spicy food and make other common-sense adjustments. If you find yourself loathe to give her the type of food you eat yourself, maybe this is a good time to make adjustments for your own nutrition.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 20th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
If you find yourself loathe to give her the type of food you eat yourself, maybe this is a good time to make adjustments for your own nutrition. smile.gif[/b]
Part of the reason we're cutting back on fast food is for this reason. I don't want to give it to DD, so why should I make her "Watch" me eat there.
July 20th, 2007, 04:52 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Egg yolks are REALLY healthy for brain development up to the age of two. They cant have the whites until a year.

We have been basically startung to give Jesse what we eat, spiced differently of course. I made veggie chili the other night and gave him just the veggies with the tiniest bit of spice. He LOVES tofu and brocolli. i'll give him egg yolks and pasta and all sorts of veggies. He loved Avacados, weve just started on dairy. Oh we had Gnocchi one night and he liked it too.

I never thoght of pumpkin thats a great idea!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search